• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

The goverment has taught the employers well.. too well...

Tension68

Alfrescian
Loyal
Recently, maybe like 2 days ago, I read that NTUC recommended 6 mths maternity leave (paid leave) for the mothers at work places. I was surprised.. and I thought something positive is happeneing.. as the move was said to be targeted at tackling the low birth rates here in SG.

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1215022/1/.html

But then.. I looked carefully.. and the "recommended" word became larger. It was like a suggestion.. not a Law.. not something "concrete".. so.. I thought nobody would bother..

Then today.. I read that the Singapore National Employers Federation (SNEF) came out to say that 6 months paid leave will result in "loss of productivity".. I was not only shocked.. I was trembling with anger and fear.

http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC120725-0000046/Longer-leave-results-in-loss-of-productivity

My anger was not that the members of the SNEF came out to speak out against something which NTUC (which most would believe is the extension of the govt.. believe la) recommended. It was that employers saw it fit to come out to voice out that THEY should be compensated by means of tax incentives and etc etc..

The government got out the term "productivity" into public attention.. and used it frequently in many instances.. now.. the employers have learned to use it.. and reverse it back onto the government. The government has surely taught the employers and all businesses well.. one clap from me.

The fact that employers can reap bigger profits, by reducing costs on hiring cheaper foreigners, and also by hiring females.. (they can pass lesser, usually citing no NS so no nid pay more), is already known to many of us (some still dreaming out there la). And yet, now they are taking an opposing stand to come together to tackle the low birthrate and argue that THEY, the EMPLOYERS should benefit.. and not the employees.. is too much for me to take.

It is as I wrote before, if there are no laws set up to protect the Singapore employee.. or employees in general.. from discrimination and unfair employment practices.. then the employers, the businesses (small, medium or big) will continue to do things their own way.

Forget about Singapore's National interest and woes, for the businessman, money (in terms of profits) always comes first.

Last edited:

Tension68

Alfrescian
Loyal
I once remembered from a documentary that animal cubs or new babies, grow fast and can be running by their mothers' side in 6 months or less.

I also remembered a friend telling me that her 5 month old baby was already trying to imitate her mouth movements when she talked to her (she had a baby girl.. now a teen).. and I began to wonder.. in the first 6 months of a new born baby's life.. how important would it be to have the mother.. or even both parents with them..

I checked out the web, and came across this site -

http://baby.lovetoknow.com/wiki/Baby_Development_Stage_for_the_First_Six_Months

I was intrigued when I read that a baby could move across a room in 5 or 6 months time.. even if it didn't know exactly how to crawl properly. And in the second last paragraph, the article said that it was important to read, sing and play with your baby.. I won't spoil the fun.. go read for yourself.

But here's my question.. is it ever a wonder that some kids develop so slowly.. is it because the time spent with parents are sooo short.. or none at all? Mothers looking after babies should be a common sight.. but now.. all I see are grandparents doint this.. or worse.. maids and domestic helpers.. sigh.. no wonder the younger generation has no qualms of putting their aged parents into old folks homes.

I think the NTUC recommendation is looking at a positive approach to a problem of low birth rate.. and it could also address some other social issues. Now.. the possible right thing is for this recommendation to become a LAW!