• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

UEFA Champions League 2012/2013

Pavlyuchenko

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

274653_thumb.jpg

Robben: Barcelona capable of overturning four-goal deficit
The Dutchman believes that the tie is not decided just yet, insisting that the Bundesliga champions must replicate their first-leg performance

258910_thumb.jpg

Jordi Alba: I must control my temper
The former Valencia star was booked against Bayern after an act of frustration and will consequently miss Wednesday's return fixture

270826_thumb.jpg

Ballon d'Or race will be blown wide open by Ronaldo & Messi Champions League exits
Failing to reach the final will raise the chances of neither the Real Madrid nor Barcelona star winning the award for the first time since Kaka's 2007 triumph

Hoeness

Alfrescian
Loyal

Skomina to take charge of Barcelona-Bayern Munich

By Will Jones
Apr 29, 2013 3:25:00 PM

171700hp2.jpg

The man in the middle for the Champions League semi-final second leg will be the same official that held the whistle in the 2012 Super Cup final

Slovenian referee Damir Skomina will officiate the Champions League second-leg between Barcelona and Bayern Munich.

The 36-year-old will be in charge of proceedings at Camp Nou where the German club hold a huge advantage after crushing the Catalan club 4-0 in the first-leg at the Allianz Arena.

The Slovenian is known for his confident no-nonsense approach which has drawn him plenty of plaudits. The official refereed in three games at Euro 2012 and took control of the 2012 Super Cup final between Chelsea and Atletico Madrid where the Spanish side ran out 4-1 winners.

The match officials will be under a great deal of scrutiny on May 1 after several decisions in the first leg were called into question after the game.

There appeared to be a hint of offside when Mario Gomez made it 2-0 last Tuesday and Blaugrana players were frustrated once again as Jordi Alba appeared to be blocked by Thomas Muller as Arjen Robben rounded off the scoring.

The last time the Slovenian officiated in a Champions League match was on March 5 when he oversaw Borussia Dortmund's 2-0 win over Shakhtar Dontetsk.

Hoeness

Alfrescian
Loyal

Bayern have it in the bag, claims Effenberg

By Will Jones
Apr 29, 2013 3:34:00 PM

118449hp2.jpg

The former midfielder believes his old club are well on their way to Wembley, but feels Borussia Dortmund face a trickier test in seeing off Real Madrid

Stefan Effenberg says Bayern Munich are already in the Champions League final as they prepare to face Barcelona in the second-leg of their semi-final tie.

The Bundesliga champions handed the Blaugrana their biggest European Cup defeat since 1997 by thrashing them 4-0 at the Allianz Arena last Tuesday.

And despite their still being 90 minutes of the tie left, Effenberg is confident FCB will finish the job off at Camp Nou, but has reservations over BVB's second-leg clash with Real Madrid - regardless of their 4-1 win in the first-leg.

"Bayern are through, they will not allow anything to happen in Barcelona," the 44-year-old told reporters.

"BVB also have a good opportunity to reach the final, but Real will try everything in their own stadium. That will be a really dicey contest.

"An all-German final would be a real dream come true," added Effenberg.

Dortmund and Madrid do battle at the Santiago Bernabeu on Tuesday night, while Barca and Bayern face one another for a second time on Wednesday.

Hoeness

Alfrescian
Loyal

Heynckes: We won't park the bus against Barca

By Shane Callaghan
Apr 29, 2013 10:18:00 PM

268426hp2.jpg

The 67-year-old has said attack may be the best form of defence ahead of the meeting with the Blaugrana

Bayern Munich boss Jupp Heynckes has ruled out the possibility of adopting a 'park-the-bus' approach for Wednesday's Champions League clash with Barcelona.

Die Roten go into the conclusion of their semi-final tie with a seemingly unassailable lead over their Spanish counterparts after their resounding 4-0 victory over Tito Vilanova's men in the first leg.

Despite the advantage Heynckes has insisted his team will look to pick up where they left off at the Allianz Arena - by scoring goals.

"We should defend with a high line and try to impose our playing style on them," he told the club's official website.

"We need to try and score a goal or two, and it's a possibility. They'll press the ball from the start and try to put us under pressure."

Wednesday's match at Camp Nou is scheduled to kick off at 20:45 CET.

Hoeness

Alfrescian
Loyal

Beckenbauer: Barcelona will use dirty tricks

By Stefan Coerts
Apr 29, 2013 7:42:00 AM

130504hp2.jpg

The Germany legend expects the Primera Division leaders to put up a fight in this week's return after their heavy loss in the first leg

Franz Beckenbauer has warned Bayern Munich that Barcelona will not hesitate to use dirty tricks in the return of their Champions League semi-final tie at Camp Nou on Wednesday.

The Catalans were beaten 4-0 at the Allianz Arena last week and the West Germany legend has little doubt that they will give their all in the return in an attempt to turn things around.

"Barcelona will use any trick in the book to throw Bayern off balance. They'll not hesitate to use methods that are against the rules of the game as well as legitimate tricks. They will fight back," Beckenbauer told Bild.

"Barca will not give up. They will give their all to turn things around. They will try to provoke Bayern and use dirty tricks if necessary.

"Barca will probably try to make it a physical battle in order to disrupt Bayern's game. Bayern must try and avoid a lot of personal duels. There will be plenty of minor fouls."

Wednesday's match at Camp Nou is scheduled to kick off at 20:45CET.

Hoeness

Alfrescian
Loyal

If Real beat Dortmund and reach Wembley they can SLEEP with my girlfriend! Mario's 'boast' ahead of Champions League decider

By JOHN DRAYTON PUBLISHED: 09:10 GMT, 29 April 2013 | UPDATED: 10:59 GMT, 29 April 2013

Mario Balotelli might get a frosty reception from girlfriend Fanny Neguesha after he reportedly made a bizarre comment about the Belgian model ahead of Real Madrid’s Champions League clash with Borussia Dortmund.The former Manchester City striker is apparently so confident Dortmund will qualify for the Champions League final, he is claimed to have said that he would allow the Spanish side’s squad to sleep with his girlfriend if they managed to upset the odds and reach Wembley. In Spanish newspapers AS and Marca, the Italy forward was quoted as saying: ‘If Real Madrid come back in Champions League, I’ll let my girlfriend sleep with them!’

article-2316439-19881E40000005DC-468_634x462.jpg

All smiles: Mario Balotelli netted a penalty against Catania last night

article-0-19528CD2000005DC-983_634x635.jpg

Love it: Fanny Neguesha has a tattoo expressing her love for the Italian striker

article-2316439-19528CDC000005DC-298_634x634.jpg

Loved up: Balotelli and Neguesha's relationship has developed after the striker swapped Manchester for Milan

Dortmund ran Real off the park a week ago at the Westfalenstadion, with Robert Lewandowski, Mario Gotze and Marco Reus tearing a flimsy-looking defence apart. Manchester United and Bayern Munich target Lewandowski netted all four goals in the 4-1 victory for Jurgen Klopp’s men.

article-2316439-197BC95C000005DC-727_634x483.jpg

Demolition job: Robert Lewandowski tore Real Madrid apart in the first leg

article-2316439-19842BAC000005DC-257_634x433.jpg

Wager: Balotelli was quoted in Spanish papers making a strange bet ahead of the second leg

Meanwhile, Balotelli, apart from reportedly making controversial comments about his girlfriend, is lighting up Serie A since leaving Manchester for AC Milan.The 22-year-old has scored 10 times since exiting the Premier League, including a contentious penalty in last night’s victory over Catania.Balotelli has previously spoken about his blossoming relationship with Neguesha. In an exclusive interview with Vanity Fair, the striker said his girlfriend was the 'first woman I feel comfortable with'.

article-2316439-1987FCAC000005DC-198_634x491.jpg

All smiles: Mario Balotelli netted a penalty against Catania last night

article-0-190B58AB000005DC-28_634x577.jpg

Happy couple: Neguesh and Mario Balotelli

Hoeness

Alfrescian
Loyal

19019_thumb.jpg

Dudek: Dortmund played the perfect game, but are not there yet
The former Madrid shot stopper believes the semi-final tie is not decided yet and is full of praise for BVB striker Robert Lewandowski

256595_thumb.jpg

Neuer: Barcelona will put us under incredible pressure
The shot stopper expects the Catalans to put up a fight in the return leg in Catalunya and believes the ballboys could play their part at Camp Nou

242990_thumb.jpg

Illgner: Madrid must attack from the first minute
The 46-year-old believes Jose Mourinho's men could pull off a comeback if they start the match with attacking impetus and are backed by the Bernabeu

Hoeness

Alfrescian
Loyal

Barcelona will respect fair play - Beckenbauer

By Stefan Coerts
Apr 30, 2013 12:14:00 PM

271706hp2.jpg

The Bayern legend has claimed that his recent declarations were misunderstood and believes the Catalans will not do anything against the rules

Franz Beckenbauer has apologised for his earlier comments that Barcelona will not hesitate to use dirty tricks in the second leg of their Champions League semi-final against Bayern Munich.

The Catalans contacted the Bavarian giants to seek clarification about the club's honorary president's comments and the German icon has now stressed in an official statement that he does not have any doubts that Barca will respect the principles of fair play.

"I apologise if what I said has been misunderstood. I only meant that Barca will do whatever it can to get to the final, but nothing against the rules," Beckenbauer stated.

"When I say they will do anything, I mean putting pressure on their rival – something that is commonplace on the pitch and which I myself used to do as a player and then as a coach.

"Barca are one of the biggest and most honest clubs in the world and have my full admiration. I'm convinced that fair play will prevail in Wednesday's match.

"Both teams will do their all and come out all guns blazing to try to reach the final – that's all I meant to say."

Barcelona were beaten 4-0 in the first leg at the Allianz Arena. Wednesday's return at Camp Nou is scheduled to kick off at 20:45CET.

Hoeness

Alfrescian
Loyal

Spain's cycle of dominance is coming to an end, says Schuster

By Stefan Coerts
Apr 30, 2013 1:12:00 PM

222141hp2.jpg

The 53-year-old thinks the time has come for German football to replace the Spanish game as the dominant force

Bernd Schuster believes that Bayern Munich and Borussia Dortmund's wins over Barcelona and Real Madrid respectively in the first leg of the Champions League semi-finals is an indication that Spanish football's cycle is coming to an end.

Bayern recorded a 4-0 win over Barca at the Allianz Arena last week, while BVB defeated Madrid 4-1 at the Signal Iduna Park, and Schuster feels it might be Germany's turn to become the dominant force.

"Football works in generations," the former West Germany international told Marca.

"Over recent years Spain has had a great team and has produced some fantastic players, but every cycle comes to an end, much like what happened with Italy or Brazil.

"German football is trying to climb to the top of the pile right now. The first legs produced surprising results, but you have to believe it's possible to turn the ties around."

Madrid host Dortmund on Tuesday as they attempt to overturn their 4-1 first-leg loss, while Barcelona take on Bayern at Camp Nou on Wednesday.

Hoeness

Alfrescian
Loyal

Real Madrid 2 Borussia Dortmund 0 (agg 3-4): Heartache for Jose as dramatic late Real rally is not enough

By MICHAEL WALKER PUBLISHED: 20:38 GMT, 30 April 2013 | UPDATED: 00:35 GMT, 1 May 2013

On a night when the Bernabeu reaffirmed its status as one of football’s great cauldrons, a game of surging electricity, crossed wires and seeming burn-out produced a spasm of fire and goals at its end that saw Real Madrid threaten Borussia Dortmund’s place in the European Cup final. But it was too late and not enough and it will be Dortmund at Wembley later this month. Last week’s 4-1 victory at the Westfalenstadion was too brutal for Real to retrieve.

article-2317344-198FFC1B000005DC-901_634x473.jpg
Is it on? Sergio Ramos makes it 2-0 and gives Madrid hope

MATCH FACTS

Real Madrid: Diego Lopez, Essien, Varane, Sergio Ramos, Fabio Coentrao (Kaka 57), Modric, Alonso (Khedira 67), Di Maria, Ozil, Ronaldo, Higuain (Benzema 57).
Subs not used: Casillas, Pepe, Albiol, Morata.
Booked: Fabio Coentrao, Higuain, Sergio Ramos, Khedira.
Goals: Benzema 82, Sergio Ramos 88.

Borussia Dortmund:
Weidenfeller, Piszczek, Subotic, Hummels, Schmelzer, Gundogan, Bender (Felipe Santana 90), Blaszczykowski, Gotze (Grosskreutz 14), Reus, Lewandowski (Kehl 87).

Subs not used: Langerak, Leitner, Sahin, Schieber.
Booked: Gundogan, Bender, Weidenfeller.

Attendance: 76,000

Referee: Howard Webb (England)

After spurning three handsome chances in the first 15 minutes of a match Real needed to win by 3-0 to progress to their first final since Glasgow in 2002, Jose Mourinho’s men lost their way when confronted by a Dortmund yellow wall of defence and a goalkeeping captain, Roman Weidenfeller, in man-of-the-match form. But then, with Dortmund increasingly dangerous on the break — Robert Lewandowski smacked the bar — Madrid substitute Karim Benzema ran on to Mesut Ozil’s first truly telling pass in the 83rd minute to make it 1-0 and bring back hope to a disbelieving audience.The torrent of home pressure produced another goal, from Sergio Ramos in the 89th minute, having been teed up by Benzema, but although referee Howard Webb signalled five added minutes there was to be no decisive third for Madrid. Jurgen Klopp’s young but maturing side had wobbled but steadied themselves and they and their fans were bouncing long after the final whistle. Borussia’s only previous appearance in the European Cup final was in 1997. That was won 3-1 against Juventus with Aston Villa manager Paul Lambert in the team.

article-2317344-198FFC57000005DC-502_634x396.jpg

Smashing it home: Ramos sets up a grand stand finish with a late strike

JOSE DROPS CHELSEA HINT

Mourinho told ITV that he wants to be 'where people love me'

There will now be the inevitable inquest and speculation for Real. While Dortmund are off to Wembley, supposition says Mourinho is off to Chelsea. He has taken Real to two consecutive Champions League semi-finals and lost both having won the second legs in the Bernabeu against German opponents. Last year it was Bayern winning on penalties after extra-time.‘I want to be where people love me,’ he said. Presumably that means Stamford Bridge. He added: ‘In England I’m loved by fans and media, fairly criticised or credited when I deserve. In Spain some hate me, even in this room. I have a contract at Madrid. But contracts are broken when people want.’

article-2317344-198FFAE7000005DC-808_634x338.jpg

In with a shout: Benzema gets Madrid's first

article-2317344-198FFAD8000005DC-204_634x444.jpg

Wrestle for the ball: Real Madrid players fight with Dortmund's goalkeeper Roman Weidenfeller after the first goal

And on Tuesday night Branislav Ivanovic said of Mourinho’s potential return: ‘As players we don’t have any confirmed information that he would return. But we would all like it to happen. With him we can be stronger as a club.’Mourinho berated the fourth official for a couple of seconds before disappearing down the tunnel — he insisted Mats Hummels should have been shown a red card. But the crowd had not turned on the manager. Had he stayed around, he would have heard them applauding his team off.

article-2317344-198FDDFB000005DC-466_634x297.jpg

Not enough: Cristiano Ronaldo was unable to help Madrid make the Champions League final

article-2317344-198FE7D3000005DC-691_634x427.jpg

Going close againL Dortmund's danger man Robert Lewandowski sees his effort go wide

Certainly Real’s effort could not be faulted. Urged on by an astonishing Bernabeu cacophony at kick-off, there was a first corner won in 53 seconds, four in the first eight minutes, during which Weidenfeller set a tone by foiling Gonzalo Higuain’s shot. Ten more minutes of high intensity home pressing brought a volley from Cristiano Ronaldo. Again it hit Weidenfeller. Less than 60 seconds on and Ozil was through but dragged his effort wide.

article-2317344-198FE65D000005DC-453_634x417.jpg

No way though: Real Madrid's Gonzalo Higuain vies for the ball with Mats Hummels

article-2317344-198FE54D000005DC-621_634x419.jpg

High jump: Lewandowski fights for the ball with Raphael Varane

That was to typify Ozil’s night. Mourinho had selected both him and Luka Modric and in this opening phase, they were doing what was asked, cutting and swerving, passing and moving. Ronaldo was prominent then, too, but as the tempo subsided, Mourinho wheeled away in frustration and Dortmund took control in midfield. They coped with the loss of Mario Gotze after 14 minutes.Half-time came with the game goalless. Lewandowski had two great chances in the second half as well as hitting the bar. Real’s Diego Lopez also made a brilliant save to deny Ilkay Gundogan. It was 10 minutes later when Benzema scored. The Bernabeu soared. But ultimately the man running on to the pitch to be heralded by his fans was Klopp. ‘I’ve never been to Wembley,’ he said. ‘I won’t be going as a tourist.’

article-2317344-198FE53A000005DC-720_634x493.jpg

Down and out: Ronaldo gestures after being knocked to the floor

That was to typify Ozil’s night. Mourinho had selected both him and Luka Modric and in this opening phase, they were doing what was asked, cutting and swerving, passing and moving. Ronaldo was prominent then, too, but as the tempo subsided, Mourinho wheeled away in frustration and Dortmund took control in midfield. They coped with the loss of Mario Gotze after 14 minutes.Half-time came with the game goalless. Lewandowski had two great chances in the second half as well as hitting the bar. Real’s Diego Lopez also made a brilliant save to deny Ilkay Gundogan.

article-2317344-198FE5A5000005DC-465_634x374.jpg

No way Jose: Mourinho shows his frustration on the sidelines

It was 10 minutes later when Benzema scored. The Bernabeu soared. But ultimately the man running on to the pitch to be heralded by his fans was Klopp.'I’ve never been to Wembley,' he said. 'I won’t be going as a tourist.'

article-2317344-198FE5BD000005DC-340_634x336.jpg

End of the road: Ronaldo walks on the pitch looking dejected

Hoeness

Alfrescian
Loyal

Bungling ITV cut off Mourinho after he drops huge hint he's leaving Real Madrid to be 'where people love me'

By RIATH AL-SAMARRAI PUBLISHED: 21:30 GMT, 30 April 2013 | UPDATED: 00:48 GMT, 1 May 2013

Real Madrid 2 Borussia Dortmund 0 (agg 3-4)

Jose Mourinho issued a come-and-get-me plea to Chelsea after Real Madrid were dumped out of the Champions League semi-finals by Borussia Dortmund. Real won 2-0 on the night but lost 4-3 on aggregate to the Germans and when asked if he would be at the Bernabeu next season, the former Chelsea manager said: 'Maybe not.'When asked to elaborate, Mourinho, who has had an uneasy three years in Spain, added: 'I want to be where people love me.'

article-0-198FF21D000005DC-407_634x422.jpg

Casting his spell: Jose Mourinho's magic narrowly failed to propel Real Madrid into the Champions League final - but will he be back in England?

article-2317397-199038E1000005DC-976_634x286.jpg

Making his point: Jose Mourinho reacts as Real fail to make the Champions League Final

article-2317397-198FED63000005DC-216_634x420.jpg

Look of concern: Mourinho sees his side slip out of the Champions League

BLUNDERING ITV DROP THE BALL AGAIN...

ITV dropped a clanger last night when they cut off Jose Mourinho when it looked like he might reveal all about his potential return to Chelsea. It was not the first time the station has irritated viewers at key moments.

England 1 USA 1
World Cup, June 12, 2010
Viewers of ITV’s HD broadcast had coverage interrupted by a Hyundai advert, which meant they missed Steven Gerrard’s opener. ITV blamed a ‘human error’ at the firm which provided the transmission.

Everton 1 Liverpool 0

February 4, 2009
An advertisement for Tic Tac mints meant viewers missed Dan Gosling’s winning goal in the 118th minute of Everton’s FA Cup fourth-round replay against Liverpool.

Mourinho admitted in his post-match press conference: 'I know in England I'm loved. I'm loved by the fans, I'm loved by the media that treats me in a fair way, criticising me but giving me credit when I deserve it. 'I know I'm loved by some clubs, especially one, and in Spain, the situation is a bit different because some people hate me. Many of you are in this room.'And Branislav Ivanovic said of Mourinho’s potential return: ‘As players we don’t have any confirmed information that he would return. But we would all like it to happen. With him we can be stronger as a club.’ Mourinho, who has also managed at Porto and Inter Milan, added he will discuss his future at the end of the current campaign.'I didn't make a decision because I have a contract. But more than a contract, because in football contracts you break it when people want to break, is the respect I have for the club and the respect I have for the president,' he said.

article-2317397-19902080000005DC-496_634x423.jpg

'That's why I want to play the final, I want to finish the season, I want to try to win the final, I want to try to finish second and at the end of the season I want to sit in front of Florentino Perez - my president, my friend - and decide the best for me. 'I like the club, I like the president, I need to be honest and fair and at the end of the season I speak.'

article-2317397-198FFB73000005DC-350_634x420.jpg

Late rally: Real Madrid scored through Karim Benzema (above) and Sergio Ramos (below), but failed to pull off an unlikely comeback

article-2317397-198FFD5F000005DC-340_634x500.jpg

Sergio Ramos

Late goals by Karim Benzema and Sergio Ramos were not enough for Madrid to eliminate Jurgen Klopp's side, who made it to Wembley thanks to their 4-1 win in the first leg in Dortmund. Mourinho admitted he was disappointed to not make the final, but defended his tenure at the club. 'It's not my culture to be satisified by not winning the competition but we know that its a difficult competition, you don't win it when you want to, you win when things go your way,' he said.

article-2317397-198FED63000005DC-664_634x359.jpg

Bowing out? Mourinho patrols the touchline next to opposite number Jurgen Klopp

'I don't live for near achievements, nor does this club. But after the club won the three European Cups [in 1998, 2000 and 2002] Madrid entered a period of not even making it to the quarter finals.

'We weren't even seeded when I got here and my first worry was qualifying from the group stages.

article-2317397-19902089000005DC-300_634x433.jpg

Frustration: Cristiano Ronaldo and Real Madrid were knocked out in the last four for the third consecutive season

'Sergio Ramos came here in 2005 but didn't play a Champions League quarter final until I got here. I have got the club to three semi-finals and earned them a lot of money in bonuses.' The coach cursed Madrid's luck in each of the three semi-finals. 'In the first year we were knocked out because we weren't allowed to make it to the final,' he said, referring to Madrid's 4-2 aggregate defeat to Barcelona, with Pepe sent off in the first leg, a decision the coach disputed strongly at the time. 'In the second year we lost on penalties and in the third year we lost because of our performance in Dortmund.'

article-2317397-19902A9F000005DC-128_634x401.jpg

We're going to Wembley: Dortmund celebrate a famous aggregate victory

And he had some harsh words for Howard Webb, who did not penalise Mats Hummels for a handball in the second half, which he argued denied Benzema a goalscoring chance. 'He didn't send Hummels off because he wanted him to play in the final,' he said.

Hoeness

Alfrescian
Loyal

276384_thumb.jpg

Ronaldo: I'm not worried about Mourinho's future
The Portuguese winger refused to be drawn in on the media circus surrounding his compatriot's fate next season but was adamant the Blancos could challenge again next season

276422_thumb.jpg

Poor first leg cost us final place, says Ramos
The Madrid centre-back was very disappointed after his side’s aggregate loss to Dortmund, but knows they only have themselves to blame following their 4-1 loss at Signal Iduna Park

276393_thumb.jpg

Hummels praises 'unbelievable' Dortmund victory against Real Madrid
The defender had nothing but acclaim for what his team achieved by reaching the Champions League final, a berth which Kevin Grosskreutz and Roman Weidenfeller think BVB deserved

268304_thumb.jpg

'Impossible is nothing!' - Dani Alves issues Barcelona rallying cry
The Brazilian full-back took to his personal Twitter account to voice his determination to overturn the 4-0 first-leg deficit to Bayern Munich and reach the Champions League final

276321_thumb.jpg

Pique: Barcelona can turn the tie around
The defender insists his side believe "100 per cent" they can recover from their 4-0 first-leg deficit to the Bavarians and has urged them to give Camp Nou something to cheer

276318_thumb.jpg

Muller warns against Messi backlash
The Germany star feels the Barcelona ace will be a far more dangerous opponent on Wednesday after his lacklustre performance at the Allianz Arena

Hoeness

Alfrescian
Loyal

We stood up to Madrid and we deserve to be in final - Klopp

By Martin Macdonald
Apr 30, 2013 11:07:00 PM

255008hp2.jpg

The BVB boss admitted his team underperformed in the Champions League semi-final second leg against Madrid, but was full of praise for his players for achieving progression

Dortmund boss Jurgen Klopp could barely contain his disbelief at having witnessed his side progress to the Champions League final with a 4-3 aggregate victory over Real Madrid, but was adamant their progression is deserved.

The German side went into the match with a relatively comfortable 4-1 lead from the first leg, but Madrid rallied in the return encounter, scoring two late goals to set up a highly tense finale.

And Klopp, who conceded his team were not at their best on Tuesday, ultimately believed their performance over both legs has warranted the trip to Wembley in May.

“Unbelievable,” Klopp told reporters. ”I have to admit, we played too little football today. During the second half we played our attacks better. If we converted one of those chances, the match would have been killed.

“The match had everything. Real Madrid can play great football and they showed that today. They had to deliver today and they did. We stood up to them. Those are the rules, we won 4-3 and we are deservedly in the final.“

The German went on to discuss how luck plays a part in any team's run to a final and suggested that he had took inspiration and confidence from the 1997 Dortmund side who went on to lift the trophy that year.

He added: “I talked to manager, Michael Zorc, and that team of 1997 and they were lucky getting to the final, too. You have to have luck to reach the final and we know had it twice.“

Klopp also reserved praise for striker Robert Lewandowski after the match. Madrid coach Jose Mourinho had stated after the first leg the Pole had not come under enough rough treatment from his players in the wake of the four-goal tally for the striker.

But the match at Santiago Bernabeu saw the former Lech Poznan striker singled out for some over-zealous attention from the Blancos' players and the Dortmund boss was proud his player kept a cool head.

“I wished for 'Lewy' [Lewandowski] to get more protection," he continued. "The way he stayed calm after all those scenes, that is almost superhuman. But we are through why would we complain.”

The 45-year-old then looked forward to the Bundesliga clash against rivals Bayern Munich on Saturday, but stressed that no matter the result, he and his team would be in celebration mode.

“We have one day more off than Bayern and we will use that day.” said Klopp.”I myself will have a beer at the hotel but I won't go out. But I can't keep the boys in there, too.

"And if we get hammered by Bayern, that will be the happiest defeat in the history of the Bundesliga.“

Hoeness

Alfrescian
Loyal

Busquets & Abidal ruled out of Bayern clash

By Joe Wright
Apr 30, 2013 7:03:00 PM

205038hp2.jpg

The Spain midfielder has failed to recover from the pelvic injury which kept him out of the weekend win over Athletic Bilbao, while the French defender has a calf problem

Barcelona have been dealt a huge blow ahead of their Champions League semi-final second leg against Bayern Munich on Wednesday after Sergio Busquets and Eric Abidal were both ruled out through injury.

Coach Tito Vilanova claimed in his press conference on Tuesday that no decision would be taken on Busquets' inclusion in the squad until after training on Wednesday but it seems his hand has been forced early after the Spain midfielder was left out of the matchday squad, along with defender Abidal.

"Sergio Busquets and Eric Abidal will not feature in tomorrow’s match," a statement on the club's official website confirmed.

"The midfielder has not recovered from the [pelvic] injury that kept him from playing against Athletic [Bilbao] this weekend, while the Frenchman has picked up a calf injury."

Barca are already without fellow defenders Javier Mascherano and Carles Puyol ahead of the clash at Camp Nou, while full-back Jordi Alba is suspended after picking up a yellow card in the first leg in Munich.

Bayern hold a 4-0 aggregate lead heading into Wednesday's clash in Catalunya, which kicks off at 20:45CET.

Hoeness

Alfrescian
Loyal

Vilanova: It's about the team, not Messi

By Joe Wright
Apr 30, 2013 5:00:00 PM

267616hp2.jpg

The Blaugrana coach has urged supporters to get behind the team as they look to secure a memorable comeback from their 4-0 first-leg deficit against the Bavarians

Barcelona boss Tito Vilanova has insisted that his side will not be relying on Lionel Messi in their Champions League semi-final tie with Bayern Munich on Wednesday.

The Blaugrana must overturn a 4-0 deficit from the first leg at the Allianz Arena and Vilanova that the clash will not in the four-time Ballon d'Or winner's hands alone, while hailing Gerard Pique's affect this campaign.

"When I said that without Pique we would not be the same team, I mean it. His season has been excellent. The fact that we have conceded goals has to do with the fact some players have been injured," the 44-year-old told reporters at a press conference on Tuesday.

"We know how important Messi is in our team especially when it comes to scoring goals. The better he plays, the better for the team. But we cannot put all the pressure on his shoulders, the rest of the team also has to help him. Obviously Messi will have a lot to say in tomorrow's match."

Vilanova acknowledged that reaching the European final would be difficult but has faith that the catalunya club can restore some pride following last week's mauling in Munich.

"I expect that we will be ourselves - that we will try to be better than Bayern," he added. "We know we have to score, I know we can do that.

"We should be ourselves - that is the important thing. Scoring goals but also playing good football. It is very obvious we cannot concede, it will make it that much harder, but we have to get goals as well.

"The players are aware of the difficulty of the match. We are Barcelona and we cannot take this tie for being lost already. If we do not make it, we have to hold our heads high, fight until the end and have our fans feel proud about us.

"We know we need the fans. It is not the same to have a quiet stadium compared to a stadium full of people cheering. Bayern had everyone cheering for them and that helped them without a doubt. But we cannot always ask the fans for help, we also have to give them something back in return."

Vilanova also revealed that the tie comes too soon for Javier Mascherano to make his return from injury, and explained that a decision over Sergio Busquets' fitness will be made after training on Wednesday.

"Mascherano will not be able to play tomorrow. He needs six weeks to recover and only four have gone by, so he will not be in the team," he added.

"Sergio Busquets and some others are still suffering from minor injuries. We will see after the training session if Busquets is fit to play. "

Hoeness

Alfrescian
Loyal

'Bayern want to prove that the first leg was not a one-off' - Heynckes

By Joe Wright
Apr 30, 2013 2:41:00 PM

263866hp2.jpg

The Bavarians coach has urged his players to replicate their performance from the 4-0 thrashing in Munich and believes last season's defeat to Chelsea has made the team stronger

Bayern Munich boss Jupp Heynckes has called on his team to prove that their Champions League semi-final first-leg thrashing of Barcelona was not a one-off feat.

The Bundesliga champions humbled Tito Vilanova's charges with a dominant display at the Allianz Arena last week, but their coach has urged them to replicate the level they reached in the 4-0 triumph in the second leg at Camp Nou on Wednesday.

"We can't think too much about the first-leg result," he told a press conference. "After the match we can evaluate things, but I cannot say which team is the better one. Barcelona have played at such a high level for so many years. Bayern want to prove that the match in Munich wasn't a one-off.

"We have to take into account the rival. We have our philosophy on football and this season we have proved that Bayern are a great team playing top quality football. We have our culture and we are capable of scoring goals tomorrow at Camp Nou."

Bayern are in the driving seat to reach their third Champions League final in four seasons and Heynckes believes that the disappointment of last season's defeat to Chelsea on home soil has strengthened the resolve of his squad this season.

"When you experience a final like we did against Chelsea, then you understand all the consequences," he explained. "Some clubs give up, but everyone at Bayern reacted in a very positive way. We made changes, signed good players, modified some things and strengthened the team spirit."

Heynckes has been linked with a return to Spain when he departs the Allianz Arena at the end of the season, with former clubs Real Madrid and Athletic Bilbao believed to be interested in his services, and the 67-year-old suggested he would be happy to go back to coaching in La Liga.

"When you coach big teams in Spain, you also incorporate that culture to understand everything better," he said. "I know I can return to Spain whenever I want.

"I won the Champions League with Real Madrid and I also had great achievements with Athletic. In Barcelona, there's exists a huge sporting culture, especially after the Olympics. It’s a wonderful city with a huge amount of culture, so I love being here."

Pavlyuchenko

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Real Madrid 2 : 0 Borussia Dortmund

<iframe src="http://www.dailymotion.com/embed/video/xzgv1e" frameborder="0" height="320" width="480"></iframe>

Goals & Highlights

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/imDHmxOdVMc?rel=0" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="360" width="640"></iframe>

Goals & Highlights

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/IetJR60vbcs?rel=0" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="360" width="640"></iframe>

Goals Only