• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

WP's "attack" on the death penality

steffychun

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1212553/1/.html

Workers' Party Secretary-General and MP for Aljunied GRC, Low Thia Khiang, asked if there is a need for a mandatory death sentence.

"Why can't we leave it to the court to decide and to impose appropriate sentence, rather than mandatory sentence, especially death penalty. And if mandatory death penalty is an important deterrent, how does non-mandatory, compared to mandatory, have more deterrence? If the court imposes death sentence under certain circumstances, is it not deterrent enough?"

Sylvia Lim, MP for Aljunied GRC, said: "An overriding concern is that, while we look at the death penalty itself, it should not be looked at in isolation of the criminal procedure as a whole. Because the sentence finally comes out at the end of that process. And I think all of us are interested to ensure that we don't convict the wrong person!"

jw5

Loyal
1. GMS must be delighted at this latest development regarding the mandatory death penalty.

2. Hey! Why are WP jumping on GMS's bandwagon? He has been lobbying intensely on this for years, writing countless letters to the governement, making endless speechless and posts in SBF, standing outside parliament house and ministry of law in the rain, in addition to endless days of speaking to practically nobody at speakers' corner, rain or shine, on this topic so close to his heart.

Ok, ok, only point 1 could be true, point 2 is bullshit on my part. Solli. :o

steffychun

Alfrescian
Loyal
1. GMS must be delighted at this latest development regarding the mandatory death penalty.

2. Hey! Why are WP jumping on GMS's bandwagon? He has been lobbying intensely on this for years, writing countless letters to the governement, making endless speechless and posts in SBF, standing outside parliament house and ministry of law in the rain, in addition to endless days of speaking to practically nobody at speakers' corner, rain or shine, on this topic so close to his heart.

GMS can go join Gopalan Nair.

jiakhongleow

Alfrescian
Loyal
does it ever come to your mind that this changes has to do with the Christain President? To make his job easier?

It is easier to use Ah Neh President to kill people, but come to this Christian guy, give face abit.

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
You are two third right here.

I am delighted as anybody who have advocated the idea of giving judges more discretionary power in determining death penalty for any criminals. This is practical considerations in view of the criminal investigation procedures.

And I have written about this for a couple of times in my blog as well as SBF... old and new forums.

However, I am not advocating the total abolishment of Death Penalty just yet. The society at large still believes that Death Penalty should be applied to the most severe criminal acts. It will be more convincing to persuade them that discretionary power should fall on the judges instead of AGC than asking for the total abolishment of DP.

BUT, at this instance, Mandatory Death Penalty still exists for certain crimes. The campaign against Mandatory Death Penalty is far from over.

Goh Meng Seng

lucifer666

Alfrescian
Loyal
dont you just love to rub shoulders with the countries that still have the death penalty? korea, china , the middle east, texas. why would anyone not want to be on the same line with this lovely bunch?