• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Cheaper Prices on Apple stuff: Thai VAT on Apple products?

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I will be getting an Apple MacPro & trying to determine if it's cheaper to get it in Thailand, Malaysia or even from the US. In the case of LOS & Malaysia I won't be making a special trip to get it. I'll just be holidaying & will be travelling light. So bringing back a laptop is no problem.

Going to JB is a monthly affaire & it's easy enough to carry a laptop across.

GST shouldn't be a problem if one gets it from LOS or Malaysia. If you stay away for a few days you are given an allowance on the value of items you can bring back.
However ordering from the US would incur air freight charges & GST costs because I would be using the services of a freight forwarder. However the prices there are the cheapest, especially if you get bundled items e.g. discount on Apple Care extended warranty & 3rd party software.

I had originally intended to get it from Malaysia but now considering other options like LOS & the US.
In LOS I understand that a tourist can claim a VAT refund on high value items. Has anyone experience on claiming this refund:confused: Do you make a claim at the airport, how do they pay you & how much is the refund:confused:

Alamaking

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Mac in Thailand is not that cheap lah, I compared it few years ago, mudland is the cheapest so far....

Jumong

Alfrescian
Loyal
I had originally intended to get it from Malaysia but now considering other options like LOS & the US.
In LOS I understand that a tourist can claim a VAT refund on high value items. Has anyone experience on claiming this refund:confused: Do you make a claim at the airport, how do they pay you & how much is the refund:confused:

Thailand VAT rate is 7%.

Before you purchase, you should inform the store that you wish to apply for VAT refund. Bring along your passport as they'd need a photocopy. The store would fill up some forms, and you in turn would have to fill in your particulars etc.

When arriving at the airport, before you check in, bring the form (and your item) to the VAT refund office at the departure hall. It's a cubicle next to the escalator where all the weighing machines are located. They will put a stamp on it. In fact they're supposed to check your item, but most wouldn't. After you have checked in, cleared the immigration, bring the stamped form to VAT refund counter (inside the transit area). This time they will just pay you in cash without bothering about your item.

Last edited:

Jumong

Alfrescian
Loyal
For TS, you can check the prices of Mac at the different Mac country website. I have done my own calculations, the prices are controlled, and the difference is due more to the exchange rates.

If you want to maximize your bargain, bring Sgd to Thailand and go to Superrich (green color one) to exchange for Thai baht. You get better value for your Sgd. Use that to purchase your Mac at any Mac store in Thailand. Get your 7% VAT refund.

As for Mudland, the VAT for computer products is 5%.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
For TS, you can check the prices of Mac at the different Mac country website. I have done my own calculations, the prices are controlled, and the difference is due more to the exchange rates.

If you want to maximize your bargain, bring Sgd to Thailand and go to Superrich (green color one) to exchange for Thai baht. You get better value for your Sgd. Use that to purchase your Mac at any Mac store in Thailand. Get your 7% VAT refund.

As for Mudland, the VAT for computer products is 5%.

Didn't know that Malaysia has a VAT. Can a tourist claim a refund from the Malaysian gov't:confused:

I notice that the Sing$ has appreciated against the ringgit. It's now something like 2.47+. I have been monitoring the baht & ringgit exchange rate & noticed that the in Spore they are giving better rates for ringgit then for baht:confused::confused:

Jumong

Alfrescian
Loyal
Didn't know that Malaysia has a VAT. Can a tourist claim a refund from the Malaysian gov't:confused:

I notice that the Sing$ has appreciated against the ringgit. It's now something like 2.47+. I have been monitoring the baht & ringgit exchange rate & noticed that the in Spore they are giving better rates for ringgit then for baht:confused::confused:

Not sure....still checking. Meanwhile,

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/MA6Y9w8wjjY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Mac in Thailand is not that cheap lah, I compared it few years ago, mudland is the cheapest so far....

I originally thought so too, but I know a Thai with connections who offered to get me a good price. I don't know what he means by a "good price" :smile:

Now doing homework to determine the issues from buying in LOS.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Apple isn't interested in selling their stuff to cheapos. If you want to save money, buy windoze instead.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Of course tourists can claim VAT refund. VAT refund is meant for tourist. But I'm not sure if Malaysia would consider a Singaporean a tourist because we're just a causeway away. Maybe they would require an air ticket as proof, not your usual drive-thru-causeway kind of tourists.

I sometimes visit KL. I can always pick one up from there, the "Great Malaysian Sale" is in July :smile:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Apple isn't interested in selling their stuff to cheapos. If you want to save money, buy windoze instead.

The prices in Spore are higher than that in the US, LOS & Malaysia,....
Why would anyone willingly pay the PAP tax:confused: This is my response to all the hikes that I see going on in Spore:(

I'll be using the laptio while I am outside Spore. While in Spore I'll be using my Windows PC:biggrin:

Jumong

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks I listened to the recording & the refund only applies to those flying out of Malaysia

Which means you need air tickets as proof, right ? And you must not be working in Malaysia as in having a work permit or being a PR etc. It's strictly for tourists. So technically speaking, Singaporeans flying out of Mudland can seek refund, as long as the store from which you purchased your product is listed.

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Malaysia shop no GST.
Haven't implement. Can buy electronic product there and get warranty here in SG. Because is world wide warranty.
I have been buying laptop/camera in Malaysia.
Price is about 10% cheaper after u bargain.
SOme accessorries up to 50% cheaper.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Malaysia shop no GST.
Haven't implement. Can buy electronic product there and get warranty here in SG. Because is world wide warranty.
I have been buying laptop/camera in Malaysia.
Price is about 10% cheaper after u bargain.
SOme accessorries up to 50% cheaper.

Malaysia may have a VAT & next time you shop there you should look into whether you can get a rebate on this VAT:smile:

For me the price is already much cheaper than Spore & even if I don't get a VAT refund, it's quite worth it.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Not too long again HK was cheapest place to get apple products? Same now?

Last year the price differentia for Apple products l between Spore & Malaysia was higher. You could save almost $200. However Apple South Asia has made adjustments to decrease this differential

Looking at the 13" MacBook Pro models
Spore prices, http://store.apple.com/sg/browse/home/shop_mac/family/macbook_pro/select
2.5GHZ $1,688
2.9GHZ $2,088

HK Prices. http://store.apple.com/hk/browse/home/shop_mac/family/macbook_pro/select
2.5GHZ HK$ 9,188
2.9GHZ HK$ 11,488

Using an exchange rate of SIN$1 to HK$6 the price in HK is cheaperl
2.5GHZ HK$ 9,188=SIN$1,531.33(cheaper by SIN$156.67)
2.9GHZ HK$ 11,488=SIN$1,914.66(cheaper by SIN$173.34)