• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Homesick china overstayer dies one day after surrender

metalslug

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://newpaper.asia1.com.sg/news/story/0,4136,172977,00.html?

Homesick china overstayer dies one day after surrender
Wife and son borrow money to attend funeral here
By Desmond Ng

August 12, 2008

NP_IMAGES_STAYER.jpg

HE overstayed in Singapore for 12 long years and then found himself in a dilemma.

Picture: David Tan
China national Zhang Zai Yong's daughter - whom he had not seen in those 12 years - was getting married.

He knew that if he tried to return home, he would probably get caught and end up in jail before being deported.

But he didn't want to miss the wedding.

So, putting his family first, Zhang surrendered to the police on 23 Jul, hoping to serve his jail time quickly and be deported back to China in time for the wedding.

But the 45-year-old never made it home.

He suddenly collapsed and died on 24 Jul, a day after he surrendered to the authorities. (See report at facing page.)

Instead of a happy reunion in China, his family have come to Singapore to prepare for his wake, helped by undertaker Roland Tay.

Zhang left behind his 43-year-old wife, Hong Xiusong, a daughter, 24, and a son, 22.

His wife and son arrived in Singapore last week after borrowing about 10,000 yuan ($2,000) from friends and relatives to pay for their trip. His daughter remained behind as they could not afford a third ticket.

Madam Hong spoke to her late husband, who had a history of liver problems, on the morning before he gave himself up.

Wiping back tears, she told The New Paper in Mandarin: 'I was worried about his health and didn't want him to surrender. But he assured me that he was feeling okay and that I didn't have to worry.

'I told him to have a good meal first before going to the police station. That was the last time I spoke with him.'

His poor health was also one of the reasons he decided to return to China.

Zhang surrendered at Ang Mo Kio South Neighbourhood Police Centre and was referred to the Immigration and Checkpoints Authority the day after because he was an immigration offender.

While under detention, he became ill, collapsed and died after being taken to hospital.

Madam Hong said the last time her husband complained about being unwell was a few weeks ago.

STOMACH PAINS

'He said his stomach didn't feel too good. But he saw a doctor who said that it was something minor,' she said.

She said that Zhang came to Singapore 12years ago on a social visit pass and started working illegally here.

Before that, his business of rearing frogs for commercial sale in China had failed, leaving him with debts of about 200,000 yuan.

His wife said: 'He decided to come here after his failed business venture. We owed a lot of money and there was no way we could pay it back.'

Zhang borrowed about 50,000 yuan to finance his trip here in 1996.

As an illegal migrant, he found that jobs were hard to come by and didn't send money home regularly.

On those occasions that he did, the amounts were about 3,000 yuan - hardly enough to pay their debts, Madam Hong said.

'There would be weeks when he had no jobs and no money. So, when he was sick, he didn't even have money to see a doctor,' she added.

The New Paper understands that he moved from place to place in Singapore to avoid arrest as an overstayer.

One of his friends, who wanted to be known only as Ah Yuen, described him as thrifty and hardworking.

He said he had known Zhang for eight years.

Ah Yuen said: 'He talked about his family often. But he didn't have money and had to go hungry sometimes.

'Life wasn't easy for him. I've watched his hair turn from black to white throughout these years.'

Madam Hong said his family had tried to persuade Zhang to return home but he was a proud man.

She said: 'After so many years, he said he still didn't have the money to repay his debts or build a house for us, so he would rather work here.

'Our son has not seen him since he was 10 and our daughter, since she was 12.'

Madam Hong said she came to Singapore on a social visit pass in 2003, and stayed on illegally to work as a cleaner.

'I wanted to spend more time with him because we had been apart for so long,' she said.

She returned home four years later to take care of her children, but not before she spent 21 days in jail here as an overstayer.

This time around, she and her son were back on social visit passes.

Their son, Mr Zhang Li Xiong, told The New Paper at the wake that he found it hard to come to terms with his father's death.

He never had a chance to know his father and was looking forward to the long-awaited reunion.

'He has never seen me during my growing years. I've only spoken to him over the phone. I never expected things to turn out this way,' he said.

He said that when his father left, he was only in primary school. Now he is an odd-job labourer.

And in those years, he could only remember his father from pictures he had sent home.

He said: 'My sister and my mother are both not well. My grandparents are also old and sick. Now the burden of taking care of the family will fall on me.'

The wake ended on Saturday and he was cremated the same day.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He had breathing problems

THE police confirmed that Zhang Zai Yong was arrested at Ang Mo Kio South Neighbourhood Police Centre for immigration-related offences on 23 Jul and was referred to the Immigration and Checkpoints Authority (ICA) the next day.

His death is the subject of police investigations and the subsequent Coroner's Inquiry, they added.

When contacted, ICA said Zhang was referred by the police for repatriation on 24 Jul.

In accordance with the standard procedure of taking over custody of a person for repatriation, Zhang was asked about his health. He replied that he was fine.

An ICA spokesman said: 'Zhang had not complained of any pain or discomfort while in our custody. It was an ICA officer who subsequently observed that he appeared tired and unwell just before lunch.'

Zhang was taken to a nearby clinic after his lunch. During examination, he suddenly had breathing difficulties and the doctor called for an ambulance. Zhang collapsed and the doctor performed cardiopulmonary resuscitation on him.

The ambulance arrived and took Zhang to Tan Tock Seng Hospital where he died.

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
There will be big white GOLD donation after this news make public.
The police force will be humilated by this news. First unable to catch him for 12 years and secondly die in detention.

ilovechery

Alfrescian
Loyal
Fucked-up PRCs who comes here to snatch away the jobs of our poor elderly citizens!! Serves him right!! Hurrah, 1 enemy less!!