• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Scathing Book!!! - Recently released

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Authoritarian Rule of Law by Jothie Rajah -2012 . I am sure this is available via ebook.

This is an usual book in the sense that it approached this subject at a different angle. It takes to task the old man in the main, Parliament, AG, the Courts, with extensive research and solid and compelling examples. It covers the decimation of the Barisan, events covering Marshall, Law Society, the Marxists Conspiracy, Fay, defamation lawnsuits, and many others. In particular it covered one man and how he manipulated parliament, the courts and his own ministers. Most interesting is the actual body of work which focuses on enacted laws which help destroy competitors and kept the old man and the PAP in power.

Beware - it is tortuous reading as its written as an academic legal work which I felt contained unnecessarily high technical language. I suspect that the author needed to get the message thru without facing contempt of court charges. The use of the word "statist" as opposed to "compliant" in regard to the courts is quite telling.

As old man is the main actor in this book, I am sure he wishednhe was dead. Luckily Barker died as his role in the Select Committee is quite damming.

Wait till you figure out where the author sit in regards to certain individuals and society at large.

RWSSLOTS

Alfrescian
Loyal
cool...but layman on the street still will not understand this.
to an average layman, it is food in the mouth for him and his family that is most important.
not ideals, not politics, and surely, these 60 percent would not mind LKY do what he does as long as their quality of life needs are met...

sad but true!

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Agree. I suspect the book was meant for the Intelligentsia and they failure to act and to allow the situation to deteriorate. Its a wake up call to the Civil Service, AGC, the Courts and Parliament.

Old man owns the franchise for Singapore and he ensures that citizens have a full stomach. He is the master of understanding and working out the tipping point. i can guarantee you that no one will starve in Singapore while the PAP is in power.

Why you think NTUC is now going to operate 120 stalls island wide on a non profit basis. The situation has come to this.

cool...but layman on the street still will not understand this.
to an average layman, it is food in the mouth for him and his family that is most important.
not ideals, not politics, and surely, these 60 percent would not mind LKY do what he does as long as their quality of life needs are met...

sad but true!

loneshark

Alfrescian
Loyal
It is on Amazon, also available in Kindle format.
You can browse the TOC and first few pages online.

RWSSLOTS

Alfrescian
Loyal
Agree. I suspect the book was meant for the Intelligentsia and they failure to act and to allow the situation to deteriorate. Its a wake up call to the Civil Service, AGC, the Courts and Parliament.

Old man owns the franchise for Singapore and he ensures that citizens have a full stomach. He is the master of understanding and working out the tipping point. i can guarantee you that no one will starve in Singapore while the PAP is in power.

Why you think NTUC is now going to operate 120 stalls island wide on a non profit basis. The situation has come to this.

old man outwits all by putting food on the table of the 60%.
however, i think sinkies are slowly wanting more than food....but it will take years before pap's influence can be diminished.

maybe not in our lifetime but in our children's lifetime.

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
Most of the events in the book wld be an open secret and no surprise as we have all along been witnessed to. It only takes somebody to finally flesh it out - a young hotshot and ambitious lawyer who leaned on the Chinese educated mass support to capture power, and once in position by the narrowest margin in electoral history, proceeded to totally seize command of the constitutional and legal machinery, wielding his electoral mandate as carte blanche. Over the years, perfecting it and filling all the cracks from which a challenge would come. By claiming executive privilege, he demanded and got control of every organ of society and govt - press, parliament, judiciary. In turn, he would exploit the law to tinker and gerrymander thru general elections so as to ensure his continual victory and allowed him to claim he had the people's sanction to always do what he liked.

The surprise element is that his machinations have now found its way into print bound in a volume and appears even before the Old man steps into his grave. Authored by someone who seems intent to bring down at least part of the House of Cards by her spiteful relationship to the one holding it up.

It will be an even greater surprise if the NLB carries sufficient volumes here.

Last edited:

QXD

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
No doubt that political discourse within academia is not lacking, but rather the ability or the will to act on what they believe to be right.

No disrespect to the authour, just the skeptic in me that time and time again, and perhaps a product of political conditioning, Singaporeans laud people that can frame their alternative political views eloquently, but crucify those who dare stand up and take action.

Kohliantye

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
yep, author is KS Rajah daughter.
KS rajah, a former judicial commisioner died in 2010. His last case after retiring as judge was to act for the minority owners of horizon towers enbloc case...

Was the author married to Shanmugam the PAP man of Sembawang?

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes, the ex wife of Shanmugam who is the Minister of Law and thus the custodian of Singapore Law. The irony is that his ex wife has basically crushed the legitimacy of the entire law structure of the country while under his watch. Or more importantly how she skillfully articulates how one man - the old man her ex husband's boss had singlehandedly destroyed the institution of law over 5 decades and made it his own playground.

Ex wify of K Shanmugam or sister-in -law?

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
Or more importantly how she skillfully articulates
...and gets away with it under the pretext of law research from a pulpit of an American stage

how one man - the old man her ex husband's boss had singlehandedly destroyed the institution of law over 5 decades and made it his own playground.

Last edited: