• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Banking & Finance (includes credit cards posting)

snowbird

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Which bank offers the best FD rate for non-residents?

MY government can always raise GST and other taxes later. I think inflation will be quite bad. Best bet for locals is rural to urban migration or work in SG while staying in JB to earn more. So don't write off JB so soon.

The big problem with MY is that they have been working on a deficit budget (spending more than income) for years and accumulating huge debts
While the PM had repeatedly vowed to narrow the deficit, it was never done and this year's revised National Budget 2015 is on a higher 3.2% deficit instead of 3.0%!
While this is not bad enough, Fitch Rating for MY's sovereign credit rating outlook has the possibility to be downgraded from Stable to Negative!!

http://www.msn.com/en-my/money/tops...alaysias-rating-in-upcoming-review/ar-AA8nTgH

Funniman

Alfrescian
Loyal

The big problem with MY is that they have been working on a deficit budget (spending more than income) for years and accumulating huge debts
While the PM had repeatedly vowed to narrow the deficit, it was never done and this year's revised National Budget 2015 is on a higher 3.2% deficit instead of 3.0%!
While this is not bad enough, Fitch Rating for MY's sovereign credit rating outlook has the possibility to be downgraded from Stable to Negative!!

http://www.msn.com/en-my/money/tops...alaysias-rating-in-upcoming-review/ar-AA8nTgH

So what will happen if Fitch revise its ratings? What do you think will happen? The RM will free fall? The stock market will crash? Or the property market will poop?
1. If the RM falls, the exports will rise. The FDI will increase. The property will have foreign investors.
2. The stock market will crash. Not necessarily true. The economy will still be strong as Malaysia is still a export economy.
3. Property crash? Nope. Already Singaporeans are very happy with the cheap ringgit.
4. Tourism will rise. You guys already telling everyone it is so cheap to shop and dine in JB. Tourism equates to new hotels, theme parks, shopping complexes right down to hawker stalls.

Not many people know that 92% of the Government's borrowings / bonds are denominated in RM and not USD. Bank Negara had learnt its lessons well in 1997. They reversed capital controls but they also make sure that there's no dependence on USD in their bonds.. And for every RM200k remittance in and out of the country, you have to report to Bank Negara. No chance of any short sells.

Yes, the petro dollars income will be affected but while Petronas is not happy, Bank Negara is not unhappy. Why? Cos they do not need to subsidise the fuel prices anymore thus saving billions of RM.

But are Malaysians worried? Well, if you spread your footholds, nothing will rock you. Just don't put all your eggs in one basket.

KTMBHD

So what will happen if Fitch revise its ratings? What do you think will happen? The RM will free fall? The stock market will crash? Or the property market will poop?
1. If the RM falls, the exports will rise. The FDI will increase. The property will have foreign investors.
2. The stock market will crash. Not necessarily true. The economy will still be strong as Malaysia is still a export economy.
3. Property crash? Nope. Already Singaporeans are very happy with the cheap ringgit.
4. Tourism will rise. You guys already telling everyone it is so cheap to shop and dine in JB. Tourism equates to new hotels, theme parks, shopping complexes right down to hawker stalls.

Not many people know that 92% of the Government's borrowings / bonds are denominated in RM and not USD. Bank Negara had learnt its lessons well in 1997. They reversed capital controls but they also make sure that there's no dependence on USD in their bonds.. And for every RM200k remittance in and out of the country, you have to report to Bank Negara. No chance of any short sells.

Yes, the petro dollars income will be affected but while Petronas is not happy, Bank Negara is not unhappy. Why? Cos they do not need to subsidise the fuel prices anymore thus saving billions of RM.

But are Malaysians worried? Well, if you spread your footholds, nothing will rock you. Just don't put all your eggs in one basket.

It will go the same way as the PIGS. We are like Greece. First to fall

GilaPH

Alfrescian
Loyal

Which bank is good for a Malaysian PR to get a personal or renovation loan? Also, what bank is good to open a normal a savings account with minimum $$$?

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal

Bank Negara keeps OPR steady at 3.25%
Friday, 6 November 2015

PETALING JAYA: Malaysia’s benchmark interest rate, the overnight policy rate (OPR), has been maintained at 3.25%.

The OPR influences the rates of commercial banks. The last time Bank Negara raised the rate was in July 10, 2015, when the OPR was hiked 25 basis points to its current level.

The central bank said in a press statement that domestic demand would continue to be the main driver of economic growth as the local economy continues to be affected by external headwinds.

It noted that private consumption would continue to moderate as households adjust to the higher costs of living.

“The prospects are for the economy to expand within the region of 4.5% to 5.5% this year and 4% to 5% in 2016. It is, however, recognised that the downside risks to growth remain high,” it said.

Headline inflation averaged 2.8% in August and September, but would be relatively stable for the rest of this year.

However, the central bank expects headline inflation to be higher next year, peaking in the first quarter before moderating in the following quarters.

http://www.thestar.com.my/Business/...ank-Negara-keeps-OPR-steady-at-325/?style=biz

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal

Fitch Ratings said Malaysian banks have sound buffers with adequate system profitability, capitalisation and liquidity, which will help cushion against rising asset-quality, funding and liquidity risks.

This follows a report earlier today where some analysts said that Malaysia is once again facing a perilous combination of heavy short-term overseas borrowings by banks and scarce foreign exchange reserves.

The international rating agency said financial and natural hedges also serve to reduce the risk inherent in external borrowings by Malaysian corporates.

"Nonetheless, the weaker credit outlook and a further tightening of system liquidity could test Malaysia's buffers," Fitch said in a statement today.
"We see only a low probability of tighter liquidity conditions leading to sustained credit contraction in Malaysia, but the potential negative repercussions could be significant if this were to occur."

- See more at: http://www.themalaysianinsider.com/...to-cushion-against-risks#sthash.WOGMAgTL.dpuf

snowbird

Alfrescian
Loyal

Fitch Ratings said Malaysian banks have sound buffers with adequate system profitability, capitalisation and liquidity, which will help cushion against rising asset-quality, funding and liquidity risks.

This follows a report earlier today where some analysts said that Malaysia is once again facing a perilous combination of heavy short-term overseas borrowings by banks and scarce foreign exchange reserves.

The international rating agency said financial and natural hedges also serve to reduce the risk inherent in external borrowings by Malaysian corporates.

"Nonetheless, the weaker credit outlook and a further tightening of system liquidity could test Malaysia's buffers," Fitch said in a statement today.
"We see only a low probability of tighter liquidity conditions leading to sustained credit contraction in Malaysia, but the potential negative repercussions could be significant if this were to occur."

- See more at: http://www.themalaysianinsider.com/...to-cushion-against-risks#sthash.WOGMAgTL.dpuf

But all the local banks are doing badly with the decline of the RM, already 10,000 people were retrenched as of July 2015, bulk from MAS and the banks, expecting thousands more before the year ends.
The whole economy had already turned upside down due to the fast falling RM, resulting escalating prices, staff cut, shrinking job market................all this will have direct impact on the general public.
If things don't improve and more retrenchment later, there'll be massive loan defaults, cars repros...............and the property bubble bursting anytime soon.

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal

But all the local banks are doing badly with the decline of the RM, already 10,000 people were retrenched as of July 2015, bulk from MAS and the banks, expecting thousands more before the year ends.
The whole economy had already turned upside down due to the fast falling RM, resulting escalating prices, staff cut, shrinking job market................all this will have direct impact on the general public.
If things don't improve and more retrenchment later, there'll be massive loan defaults, cars repros...............and the property bubble bursting anytime soon.

Seriously..as far as recession is concerned, I have never seen Malaysia better prepared than this. I myself had gone through 3 major ones.
5 years ago, banks were forced to merged together. All the local banks today are actually a consortium of a few banks bunched together. They are cash rich and in fact they are embarking to BASEL 3 level in terms of loans to cash reserves.
2 years ago, banks went on a loan tightening period and imposed strict loan applications. Many potential NPL were averted. Even today, with RM dropping to ridiculous level, do we hear of any company shutting down and mass retrenchments? In any looming bad times, consolidation and cutting of overheads are the best way forward. Have we seen people walking down the street jobless?
A weak RM is not necessarily bad. It depend on how you look at it. Ask those rubber product and furniture exporters. They are laughing all the way to the bank. Every rubber glove or condom you use had contributed extra 30% of its value back to the Malaysian economy. Or ask those tourists.

snowbird

Alfrescian
Loyal

Seriously..as far as recession is concerned, I have never seen Malaysia better prepared than this. I myself had gone through 3 major ones.
5 years ago, banks were forced to merged together. All the local banks today are actually a consortium of a few banks bunched together. They are cash rich and in fact they are embarking to BASEL 3 level in terms of loans to cash reserves.
2 years ago, banks went on a loan tightening period and imposed strict loan applications. Many potential NPL were averted. Even today, with RM dropping to ridiculous level, do we hear of any company shutting down and mass retrenchments? In any looming bad times, consolidation and cutting of overheads are the best way forward. Have we seen people walking down the street jobless?
A weak RM is not necessarily bad. It depend on how you look at it. Ask those rubber product and furniture exporters. They are laughing all the way to the bank. Every rubber glove or condom you use had contributed extra 30% of its value back to the Malaysian economy. Or ask those tourists.

Another major commodity, palm oil, is also suffering the same fate as the crude oil.
In 2012, it was about US$1,200/mt but now only about US$520, also with no signs of recovery soon.
This is really a double whammy for the economy and bad news for the govt's revenue expectation.

CIMB had already retrenched about 2,000 staff this year with RHB Cap and Affin Hwang Capital working on it now, expecting to mirror CIMB's exercise by reducing 11% of staff strength.
Shrinking job market is made worse with the govt not employing new staff.
A weak RM is not necessarily bad?
Obviously, the 1:3 exchange rate is good news to tourist and many of us here but what about those Malaysians studying in SG or overseas, what about the manufacturers / builders importation of raw materials?
Will things get better? Will there be another financial crisis soon? Who knows, but based on the current stormy economic and political condition, anything can happen.

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal

Another major commodity, palm oil, is also suffering the same fate as the crude oil.
In 2012, it was about US$1,200/mt but now only about US$520, also with no signs of recovery soon.
This is really a double whammy for the economy and bad news for the govt's revenue expectation.

CIMB had already retrenched about 2,000 staff this year with RHB Cap and Affin Hwang Capital working on it now, expecting to mirror CIMB's exercise by reducing 11% of staff strength.
Shrinking job market is made worse with the govt not employing new staff.
A weak RM is not necessarily bad?
Obviously, the 1:3 exchange rate is good news to tourist and many of us here but what about those Malaysians studying in SG or overseas, what about the manufacturers / builders importation of raw materials?
Will things get better? Will there be another financial crisis soon? Who knows, but based on the current stormy economic and political condition, anything can happen.

http://www.therakyatpost.com/busine...her-than-expected-in-september/#ixzz3r0EozkbP

What for have a strong currency if it does not contribute to growth? 0.5% growth is as good as technical recession.

As mentioned, the basic principle in any looming downturn is to consolidate and control your expenses. CIMB had been opening up branches like nobody business. You don't see other banks like Public Bank, UOB, OCBC cutting down staff? Most of the downsizing involved the securities companies. Why? Worldwide outlook for investment banking is down. Every country I can think of except US and UK, all of them are slowing down purposely or otherwise. Australia, New Zealand, Japan, Europe, Brazil, Thailand..everywhere. It is rise and fall in tandem globally. It does not benefit one if you go against the tide. MY is also not spared.

Maybe SG is also by exception but its financial economy depend a lot on its reputation as a safe haven, inward banking system and it does not allow itself to be depreciated drastically. Not that it does not want but it cannot afford to be.

I myself is manufacturing based. Am I affected? Yes. What % is affected? Maybe 30% of the overall cost is affected? Why not 100%? Cos it concern only the raw mats. The process cost, manpower, equipment, margins, taxes, utilities are all the same. In fact, my prices to all my customers increase only by 2% overall, in many cases waived.

What about those who study overseas? If they are rich enough to go overseas, they can definitely afford it. For those who studied 1/2 way, it is only suffering for the remaining years. Anyway, many Malaysian students are Government sponsored. By the way,plenty of worldwide unis have campus in MY such as Monash, Nottingham, Heriot Watt, Reading, Southampton, etc. There are plenty of twinning programmes too locally.

Will it get better? NO. It will stay the same for the next 2 years. It is time to do kaizen during this period and gear up for the next wave. For those with spare cash, it is time to go fishing in the property market.

snowbird

Alfrescian
Loyal

http://www.therakyatpost.com/busine...her-than-expected-in-september/#ixzz3r0EozkbP

What for have a strong currency if it does not contribute to growth? 0.5% growth is as good as technical recession.

As mentioned, the basic principle in any looming downturn is to consolidate and control your expenses. CIMB had been opening up branches like nobody business. You don't see other banks like Public Bank, UOB, OCBC cutting down staff? Most of the downsizing involved the securities companies. Why? Worldwide outlook for investment banking is down. Every country I can think of except US and UK, all of them are slowing down purposely or otherwise. Australia, New Zealand, Japan, Europe, Brazil, Thailand..everywhere. It is rise and fall in tandem globally. It does not benefit one if you go against the tide. MY is also not spared.

In a downturn, the most frightening thing is retrenchment and unemployment.
With the current massive staff cutting and the govt., being the biggest employer, stop taking in new staff, new grads will be jobless, trouble is slowly brewing.
If situation don't improve soon, you'll see rapid shrinking spending, massive loans default, etc. (remember the sub-prime crisis?)

Maybe SG is also by exception but its financial economy depend a lot on its reputation as a safe haven, inward banking system and it does not allow itself to be depreciated drastically. Not that it does not want but it cannot afford to be.

I myself is manufacturing based. Am I affected? Yes. What % is affected? Maybe 30% of the overall cost is affected? Why not 100%? Cos it concern only the raw mats. The process cost, manpower, equipment, margins, taxes, utilities are all the same. In fact, my prices to all my customers increase only by 2% overall, in many cases waived.

So, in this case does this just means lower profit?
What if or when cost of "process cost, manpower, equipment, margins, taxes, utilities" increase further, will you still accept an even lower profit or will you increase selling price?

What about those who study overseas? If they are rich enough to go overseas, they can definitely afford it. For those who studied 1/2 way, it is only suffering for the remaining years. Anyway, many Malaysian students are Government sponsored. By the way,plenty of worldwide unis have campus in MY such as Monash, Nottingham, Heriot Watt, Reading, Southampton, etc. There are plenty of twinning programmes too locally.

The bumi students on govt. scholarship has less to worry, its the non-bumi students from middle income families that we are talking about here, those you see getting up at 5am to go to school in SG and also those already studying overseas.

Will it get better? NO. It will stay the same for the next 2 years. It is time to do kaizen during this period and gear up for the next wave. For those with spare cash, it is time to go fishing in the property market.

Anyway, wish you good luck in your business in these tough times.

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal

Fed to markets: Rate hike coming your way
Patti Domm | @pattidomm
1 Hour Ago

Fed minutes reinforced what central bank officials have been saying over and over again: Interest rates are going up.

"I'm convinced they're going if the data remains strong enough," said Lindsey Group strategist Peter Boockvar. "They told us, and (Fed Chair Janet) Yellen told us, and they're mostly likely going and this should not dissuade anyone from thinking that."

Fed officials have been working hard to deliver the message that they would like to raise rates in December, if the economy is strong enough. The bond market has responded, particularly at the short end, and has been pricing in the idea of higher rates. That market held steady after the 2 p.m. EST release on Wednesday of Fed minutes, but stocks rallied.

"The bond market is saying 'The Fed just told me a December rate hike is a real potential.' It's data dependent and we're going to wait and see how things play out between now and then but they clearly have a bias to hike, all else being equal," said Ian Lyngen, CRT Capital senior Treasury strategist. "Which is the exact same thing all the Fed speakers have been saying for the past two weeks."

The policy sensitive two-year yield was at 0.87 percent in afternoon trading, about where it was before the release. The dollar moved slightly higher and then fluctuated, but the S&P 500 jumped about 15 points after the minutes. It closed 1.6 percent higher at 2,083.

"They put in December as a potential rate hike date, and they meant it. Dec. 16 is a very, very live date for action, and frankly, given the stellar 271,000 jobs report since the October meeting, we would be astounded if they don't raise rates finally," wrote Chris Rupkey, chief financial economist at Bank of Tokyo Mitsubishi. "The winds of change have finally come to the Fed after all these years. Rates are going up. In 2015. Bet on it."

Bank of America Merrill Lynch economists, however, said while the Fed kept the door open for a December rate hike, the FOMC was perhaps slightly more dovish than expected.

They pointed to the fact that "most" voters on the Federal Open Market Committee were not yet reasonably confident on the committee's inflation outlook. But they did note they still expect a December hike.

In its minutes, the Fed said, "Most participants anticipated that, based on their assessment of the current economic situation and their outlook for economic activity, the labor market and inflation, these conditions could well be met by the time of the next meeting."

But it also added that the actual decision would depend on the implications in the economic data released between the October and December meetings. The Fed minutes noted that improvement in the labor market had slowed somewhat in recent months.

Steve Massocca, managing director at Wedbush Securities, said the Fed rate hike should not be problematic for the stock market, especially because of the slow path of rate increases promised by the central bank.

"At the end of the day we're talking about 25 basis points, 50 basis points. The Fed is not going to 2 percent for some period. My view is they want to get off zero, but I don't think they do much more than that," he said.

Massocca doesn't expect a big rally but the market could hang in. "There's just not a lot of alternatives for money. I know the Fed's going to raise rates but if you have investable dollars, where else do they go? " he said.

The bond market has been tilting more toward a December rate hike since the strong October nonfarm payrolls, which also showed a surprise pickup in wages.

"The Fed didn't have the nonfarm payrolls at this meeting, so the notion that a hawkish set of minutes was priced in resonates," said Lyngen. "It was definitely the most hawkish minutes that we've seen during this rate cycle."

John Canally, economist and market strategist at LPL Financial, said stocks may be responding to the idea that the Fed minutes repeated what the more than 30 recent central bank speakers have been saying. "It's almost like they got together in October and decided what they were going to say. It removes the uncertainty of when they're going to raise rates but it also moves the Fed back to the market, which is risk on," he said.

Canally said the market also takes comfort in the fact the the Fed emphasized it will raise rates very slowly.

Some stock traders pinned the post-Fed rally on short covering and the fact that the central bank wasn't really certain it would raise rates.

"I read it the other way. They've been talking through it. This reinforces what they've been saying. Unless there's a big freeze up in financial conditions, if there's not another large-scale terrorist attack or some exogenous hit that slows down growth, I don't think they wait," said Canally.

Lyngen noted that there were far fewer mentions of the dollar in the latest minutes than in the September meeting minutes. But even with less than half the mentions, the minutes did show the greenback is a factor the Fed is watching. The minutes also echoed recent comments of Fed Vice Chair Stanley Fischer that the strong dollar could continue to impact growth and inflation.

http://www.cnbc.com/2015/11/18/fed-to-markets-rate-hike-coming-your-way.html

nitecrawllerr

Alfrescian
Loyal
Credit Cards

A check with Alliance Bank. They told me they dont approve credit cards for non msian unless latter working or staying in Msia.

I am a Sporean. Any idea which Msian banks can approve credit cards for Non M'sians? And whats the criteria?

TIA...

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Credit Cards

A check with Alliance Bank. They told me they dont approve credit cards for non msian unless latter working or staying in Msia.

I am a Sporean. Any idea which Msian banks can approve credit cards for Non M'sians? And whats the criteria?

TIA...

Pardon my ignorance.
Why do you need a Malaysian credit card when one from Singapore can be used in Malaysia?
It is a standing instruction that no loans (credit card is also a loan) can be given if one does not work in the country of issuance. It is the same anywhere in the world. If you have fixed deposit with them like HSBC Premier or UOB Priviledge might offer you a card.

nitecrawllerr

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Credit Cards

Pardon my ignorance.
Why do you need a Malaysian credit card when one from Singapore can be used in Malaysia?
It is a standing instruction that no loans (credit card is also a loan) can be given if one does not work in the country of issuance. It is the same anywhere in the world. If you have fixed deposit with them like HSBC Premier or UOB Priviledge might offer you a card.

I frequent JB regularly. Shop around buying goods always paid in cash. I thought if i use my spore card i may end up paying more due to rate exchange.

You are right about placing FD with msian bank in order to have a card. But then again is no longer a "credit" card. :smile:

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal

TIA...

Get a debit card. Cheaper and lesser risk of over-spending.