• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

All about cars in Malaysia

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Can consider renting occasionally...still cheaper than owning

Probably not worth renting to use in Singapore for a day. We would just plan our activities in Singapore such that it centres around one MRT station.

ECboy

Alfrescian
Loyal
I noticed a lot of SG'reans don't have license. In MY, the moment we hit 17 or even before that :p we learn to drive

I think it's quite a necessity, at least for my kind of lifestyle.

Btw, there are those hourly rental type companies i heard of, Smoove something?

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal
A small piece of advice.
Ford Rangers, Tritons, Hilux are nice pick ups but very hot and sought after in Malaysia Thai border or in the jungles.
Some it might be good idea to install better security systems.
This apply to whole of Malaysia including Sabah and Sarawak. Stay safe.

ECboy

Alfrescian
Loyal
A small piece of advice.
Ford Rangers, Tritons, Hilux are nice pick ups but very hot and sought after in Malaysia Thai border or in the jungles.
Some it might be good idea to install better security systems.
This apply to whole of Malaysia including Sabah and Sarawak. Stay safe.

Yes correct, pickups are probably the most stolen type of vehicles in MY. There's red hot demand up north, especially for parts.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
I noticed a lot of SG'reans don't have license. In MY, the moment we hit 17 or even before that :p we learn to drive

I think it's quite a necessity, at least for my kind of lifestyle.

Btw, there are those hourly rental type companies i heard of, Smoove something?

Maybe most Singaporeans have no driving license is because they feel that even if they have one, the cost of owning or driving one is too high. Or maybe they feel the public transportation is good enough notwithstanding the MRT hiccups every now and then. I guess the PAP magic has worked...to reduce car ownership until people also don't even feel the need to take driving lessons! LOL!

freedom

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thinking of buying a Toyota Innova under the MM2H scheme...think about S$25k only...anyone has experience or feedback about this model?

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thinking of buying a Toyota Innova under the MM2H scheme...think about S$25k only...anyone has experience or feedback about this model?

Innova is ok for family travel. Good for everyone jump on board. It is a 5 seater with 2 foldable chair behind making it 7 seater. Comfortwise is average as it is based on IMV series which is same as pick up trucks. Do shop around and compare Mazda 8, Nissan Highway Star, Proton Exora, Perodua Alza, Ford Eco, etc. Honda due to lanunch Mobilo MPV late 2016.
Plenty of choice. Test drive them as it is different from normal saloon cars. Some MPV has this tunnel vision effect which you may not get used to it.
Take your time. Happy hunting.

freedom

Alfrescian
Loyal
Innova is ok for family travel. Good for everyone jump on board. It is a 5 seater with 2 foldable chair behind making it 7 seater. Comfortwise is average as it is based on IMV series which is same as pick up trucks. Do shop around and compare Mazda 8, Nissan Highway Star, Proton Exora, Perodua Alza, Ford Eco, etc. Honda due to lanunch Mobilo MPV late 2016.
Plenty of choice. Test drive them as it is different from normal saloon cars. Some MPV has this tunnel vision effect which you may not get used to it.
Take your time. Happy hunting.

Thanks for the recommendations...

freedom

Alfrescian
Loyal
One good thing about living in JB? I was able to buy my dream car which is not available in Singapore. And even if it was I would not be able to afford it. :biggrin:

What is your dream car? Mine is Jaguar and my hubby BMW but do not think we will buy it cause do not want to be targetted.

OzRick

Alfrescian
Loyal
What is your dream car? Mine is Jaguar and my hubby BMW but do not think we will buy it cause do not want to be targetted.

Driving a Jag or BMW in Malaysia will be a target is a misnomer.
I drive a new (MM2H duty free) BMW for more than a year all over Malaysia and don’t feel targeted.
Nobody gives a darn. Just don’t park in unlighted back lane, leaving bags, expensive items expose on seats etc.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal

Hyundai Starex, MPV....first saw it when driving around JB in 2008 and told my wife that would be the car I would like to have. Not available in Singapore at all as a private passenger car. Never in my wildest dream would I thought that 7 years later my move to JB would make this dream come true.

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal
I drive a new (MM2H duty free) BMW for more than a year all over Malaysia and don’t feel targeted.
Nobody gives a darn. Just don’t park in unlighted back lane, leaving bags, expensive items expose on seats etc.

True.
It can be Lexus, Merc, BMW, Audi whatever...just don't leave cash on the dashboard for people to see.
Most car thefts are theft of opportunities. Many leave their car engine running while dashing into the banks or shops leaving their car unttended and doors opened.

kopikong99

Alfrescian
Loyal

Why get Innova under MM2H scheme?

Most participants of MM2H goes for expensive high end model as the high tax savings from this incentive is one of the attraction of MM2H.

My own experience is to import into Malaysia a Sg used car that I scrapped and collect back the unused COE portion, the balance of years parf value and my tax savings is about MR 100k.

Can now afford to drive big car in Malaysia without having to pay high COE through MM2H.

kopikong99

Alfrescian
Loyal
My wife loves the Triton but she can't drive and also don't have license. LOL!

You should encourage her to learn driving and take the driving test to get Malaysian licence.

Car is a neccesity in Malaysia and old second hand Malaysian car is very cheap.

kslresidence

Alfrescian
Loyal

That is what I told many. Driving a high end car or living in a high end residential does not automatically make you an easy target, in fact, if I am the robber or thief, I will think thrice on robbing these group as likely they will have more of the resources to track me down faster and easier. Breaking into a commoner's house or car might get you away with a few hundred to thousands without much issue, but trying to make a killing of a few ten thousands by breaking into a luxury home? You might face high end security system, personal security, specially trained guard dogs etc.... sometimes an easy target is what they are looking for. Not a lucrative yet hard and risky one.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
That is what I told many. Driving a high end car or living in a high end residential does not automatically make you an easy target, in fact, if I am the robber or thief, I will think thrice on robbing these group as likely they will have more of the resources to track me down faster and easier. Breaking into a commoner's house or car might get you away with a few hundred to thousands without much issue, but trying to make a killing of a few ten thousands by breaking into a luxury home? You might face high end security system, personal security, specially trained guard dogs etc.... sometimes an easy target is what they are looking for. Not a lucrative yet hard and risky one.

Probably those keen on making a killing of a few ten thousands will literally have to make a killing so that they are not tracked down by surviving victims with resources at their disposal!

kslresidence

Alfrescian
Loyal
Probably those keen on making a killing of a few ten thousands will literally have to make a killing so that they are not tracked down by surviving victims with resources at their disposal!

killing someone is not as easy as we thought it is actually. Try squeezing the trigger at a live target before? Hence I believe those who intend to "make a killing" are just psycho, even if they are going to rob a primary school kid for $5, they are going to kill as well.

BTW, Happy New Year Bro Frodo!

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
You should encourage her to learn driving and take the driving test to get Malaysian licence.

Car is a neccesity in Malaysia and old second hand Malaysian car is very cheap.

Wife not very motivated to learn...preferred to be driven. LOL!