• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Desmond Choo: Change is Coming

hurley

Alfrescian
Loyal
Desmond-opt-jpg_162745.jpg

Beaten but unbowed, losing People's Action Party candidate Desmond Choo says that "change is coming".

Speaking to the media after losing the Hougang by-election, Choo said that he will continue his work in the single member constituency.

His Workers' Party rival Png Eng Huat won with a convincing 62.09 per cent of total votes. A silver lining though was that Choo came home with 37.91 per cent of total eligible votes -- a near three percentage improvement from last May.

Then, he had lost the same seat to WP's Yaw Shin Leong by garnering only 35.2 per cent of votes.

Referring to his improvement in the share of votes, the 34-year-old deputy director at NTUC said, "Change is coming and it’s a long process. We will continue our work in Hougang and we have embarked on a new beginning. I have no regrets and we have managed to touch many hearts."

On whether he would stand again in Hougang in the 2016 elections for the third time, Choo deflected the question and said, "You'll see me here on 28 May."

He was referring to his weekly Monday coffee sessions as Hougang grassroots adviser.

pollingnight-papHQuse-jpg_162243.jpg

Deputy Prime Minister Teo Chee Hean, who was by Choo's side, said the PAP had expected Hougang to be a tough fight.

"We knew Hougang would be difficult and we took Hougang seriously," he said.

While he congratulated WP's Png Eng Huat for the victory, DPM Teo was encouraged that more voters had supported Choo's vision of a "new beginning."

DPM Teo also said the vote in Hougang was not reflective of the support of the PAP but of Hougang residents.

"Hougang is not representative of other parts of Singapore," he said.

dredd

Alfrescian
Loyal
DC has learnt a valuable lesson in life today. The "auntie Lucy" lookalike is sobering to the fact that gutter politics don't pay. Being in the company of bad influences like Teo Chee Bye, Fruit seller Cow, midget Heng Swee Kiat, Denise phua CB, and all the rest of the evil group also will not pay. Politics is about integrity, doing the right thing and not bullying others.

glockman

Old Fart
Asset
You gotta give some credit to DC, he threw everything he had except the kitchen sink. Unfortunately, "Hougang is not for sale". And unfortunately for him too, he had TCH "helping" him.

zeddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
A silver lining though was that Choo came home with 37.91 per cent of total eligible votes -- a near three percentage improvement from last May.

What silver lining..???:confused: Desmond kena walloped to a pulp once again..

Fuckin disgraceful of the press to go gaga over a meagre 3% increase of votes for Desmond..

DPM Teo also said the vote in Hougang was not reflective of the support of the PAP but of Hougang residents.

Fuck Him.. The rest of the 40% scattered all over the country were also cheering for their brave Hougang brothers and sisters..

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You gotta give some credit to DC, he threw everything he had except the kitchen sink. Unfortunately, "Hougang is not for sale". And unfortunately for him too, he had TCH "helping" him.

Perhaps, if the senior members of PAP will consider allowing DC to campaign, debate, and rally, on his own, without interference and character assasination, DC could perform better next time. Given his performance to date, any logical and reasonable individual would like to see the PAP field DC in some other PAP safe constituency.

But I am sure most of us, as observers, would like to see Png EH perform well and discharge his obligations as an MP, not only as a helpful MP for Hougang, but for the other Singaporeans, so as to encourage other citizens in other constituencies to consider and vote for honest, passionate, dedicated and sincere individuals who do not represent the PAP. I am sure numerous Singaporeans would be dreaming and hoping that candidates who are not from the PAP, will win enough seats in the future to prevent the PAP from freely and without due consideration for Singaporeans, amend the Constitution.

I like what Alex Au has written at his Yawning Bread at word press.

Last edited:

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Perhaps, if the senior members of PAP will consider allowing DC to campaign, debate, and rally, on his own, without interference and character assasination, DC could perform better next time. Given his performance to date, any logical and reasonable individual would like to see the PAP field DC in some other PAP safe constituency.

But I am sure most of us, as observers, would like to see Png EH perform well and discharge his obligations as an MP, not only as a helpful MP for Hougang, but for the other Singaporeans, so as to encourage other citizens in other constituencies to consider and vote for honest, passionate, dedicated and sincere individuals who do not represent the PAP. I am sure numerous Singaporeans would be dreaming and hoping that candidates who are not from the PAP, will win enough seats in the future to prevent the PAP from freely and without due consideration for Singaporeans, amend the Constitution.

I like what Alex Au has written at his Yawning Bread at word press.

A pity you left S'pore 30 yrs ago. I am quite certain you would have made it as an opposition politican in S'pore. Maybe even into parliament.

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
A pity you left S'pore 30 yrs ago. I am quite certain you would have made it as an opposition politican in S'pore. Maybe even into parliament.

Hello Brother [GoldenDragon],

Although based on the PAP's criteria, I am not as qualified as many of the candidates, I am flattered by your generous and kind compliment (if I take you seriously, on this occasion). I have been away for more than 30 years, and for whatever reason, my heart is still in Singapore notwithstanding that it is not the Singapore I loved and knew.

On hindsight, may be what you have written may reflect my then youthful dream(s) and aspirations. I recall my mother told me during one of my earlier visits to Singapore: "It may be better for you to be Canada". To me, it was a happy but yet sad moment because realistically, very few parents would like to see their children emigrate. However, given the political climate of Singapore in the early 1980's, I would be foolish to not consider and evaluate the costs versus benefits of a financially poor candidate, regardless standing as an independent or with the blessings and support of a more established political party.

In addition, although I consider my English to be above average, I am not as good and sharp as many other individuals in our generation. Although my spoken Malay is good for someone whose parents are of Chinese descent, my Mandarin went downhill after Primary One.

Frankly, I must thank the work and non-work experience as well as interaction in Canada which, in my respectful view, gave me a broad and deep appreciation and perspective of the world. This does not put lesser importance on the value of my formal education in Singapore, interaction with university students residing at Raffles Hall (then located at Nassim Road), my old friends from the SAF (there a few whom I still enjoy open and frank discussions for hours whenever we meet), and new friends whom I cherished meeting and discussing various matters whenever I visit Singapore.

Often times, several friends in Singapore as well as my spouse, continue to remind me that I no longer reside in Singapore, and that I should not spend so much time to keep abreast with and to comment on matters pertaining to Singapore.

My sincere wish for Singaporeans is that, hopefully during our lifetime, the government will continue to improve vis-a-vis the Singapore Pledge, and:
1. consider spending a small portion of its huge reserves to help the lower two deciles (based on income) of the population;
2. conduct an immediate review of several of the government policies, especially those pertaining to foreign workers, eligibility for permanent residence and citizenship (vis-a-vis, NS obligations, foreigners benefitting from the generosity of SG scholarship but using Singapore as a stepping stone to emigrate to their first choice destination country), overall infrastructure vis-a-vis their projected ideal population, over emphasis of the "Scholar and Administrative Service" (for example: how do you expect a 30 year old scholar cum Deputy Secretary or whatever senior title he or she may hold to make sound policies when he or she may not have lived the life of an average Singaporean - taking public transportation and lived amongst the "commoners" as a child, student, and adult) etc., and take steps to address the valid concerns of Singaporeans;
3. give more credit to Singaporeans, whether scholars, "educated" or considered not so educated and regardless of race and religion, and take concrete steps to make Singapore a more inclusive society;
4. re-consider the issues arising from the 2011 General Elections, and take steps to address the concerns of the Singapore citizens, especially as it pertains to the huge annual compensation for politicians, civil servants, judiciary, and senior officers in the SAF and SPF, medicare, extremely expensive cost of housing, public transportation, spending significant sums of money on scholarship for foreigners, opportunities for Singaporeans in local universities (especially medical school), etc.

Unfortunately, we did not meet again when I was in Singapore, to discuss a few of the above matters. May be during my next visit.

Last edited:

Kid278

Alfrescian
Loyal

This old man with a big nose apparently is out of touch or in denial. If not for the fact that there is this stupid thing call GRC for him to hide behind, he will be looking at more Hougang in other parts than he can handle.

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
I have been away for more than 30 years, and for whatever reason, my heart is still in Singapore notwithstanding that it is not the Singapore I loved and knew.

my vote will go to you, bro :smile::smile::smile:

ps: corrected "till" to "still" if me caught your meaning right

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
my vote will go to you, bro :smile::smile::smile:

ps: corrected "till" to "still" if me caught your meaning right

Brother [zhihau] and Brother [GoldenDragon],

It must be Sunday in Singapore, and I am flattered.

In addition, I may be considered too old for the game of politics.

Before the relevant individual(s) conduct a search for my "O" level results, and although it is a huge embarassment for me and my school, because I must one of the worse that year, only 5 "O" level passes. If not for a one for ECA 9 (as it was then called, whereas it is now referred to as CCA), and the Prinicpal, Mr. Phillip Liau, kindness, I would never had the opportunity to continue Pre-U and "A" levels. Fortunately, thereafter, I realized that I better do some studying, and eventually did much better at "A" levels (good enough for a scholarship, notwithstanding I did not have the pre-requisite 3 A's). From then, perhaps, I am a late bloomer.

methink

Alfrescian
Loyal
DC has learnt a valuable lesson in life today. The "auntie Lucy" lookalike is sobering to the fact that gutter politics don't pay. Being in the company of bad influences like Teo Chee Bye, Fruit seller Cow, midget Heng Swee Kiat, Denise phua CB, and all the rest of the evil group also will not pay. Politics is about integrity, doing the right thing and not bullying others.

Its to Desmond's credit that he did not go down to the level of TCH. Desmond tried to stay above the dirt. But his continual associations with the pappy dogs will dirty him in time to come.

This is why each time GE comes along, PAP has a hard time trying to get candidates to stand. They can only get yesmen from the armed forces, gahmen stooges and unions dogs to continue licking their balls. And these are the types most easily used.

HTOLAS

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I'm beginning to think that DC has been reading too many of GMS's posts. He's beginning to sound like GMS.

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
... Beaten but unbowed, losing People's Action Party candidate Desmond Choo says that "change is coming" ...
dun even dare 2 tel ah hean 2 f**k orf from ur campaign, wat change can u bring about? ... cant even change from toking rubbish! ...

coolguy

Alfrescian
Loyal
Part and parcel of any election campaign.
DC plays the good guy, while Teo CH plays the bad one.
This is to appeal to different sectors of HC poplulation.
While majority pampers to the soft goodie image played by DC,
there are also those who are more discerning of the integrity and calibre
of the candidates.
Teo CH raises questions and issue for voters to ponder.
WP provides the answer.
It is up to voters which side of the story to buy.
This is tactics and strategy.

What I am puzzled about is this.
After every election when the results are out, you see the media interviewing the pappies candidates, their thoughts and plan.
While censoring the winning opp speech.

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
po2wq said:
dun even dare 2 tel ah hean 2 f**k orf from ur campaign, wat change can u bring about? ... cant even change from toking rubbish! ...

Yes. How independent can he be?