• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

WP wins. 62.09%. As simple as that.

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
What mattered in the end was the simple fact that Hougang residents remember who served them for the past 21 years, who attended funerals and weddings, who was on the ground walking with them, fighting with them, struggling with them.

The shared struggle is what HG politics is all about. All the cock ups (literally, if you think about Yaw) meant very little in the end because of what these people have gone through. Evicted from their land and forcibly relocated. Walked through tough times and the hardest moments with Mr Low. Never wavered in their commitment and in their spirit of sacrifice for the greater good.

The bonds of HG are bonds forged of steel. Tough, enduring, unbreakable steel.

A rookie in white sporting a baby face come in, hugs some grandmothers, speaks in lovey-dovey tones, and thinks he can sway the ground with his youngish talk. Today that rookie learns that the politics of HG is the politics of struggle.

And today, the struggle continues, even as the victory is won again by the man of the hour in blue.

Hooyah, Mr png!

And Huat ah!

Last edited:

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Yawning Bread says it just abt right.

[h=3]Workers’ Party routs PAP again[/h] <small class="entry-meta"> Published <abbr class="published" title="2012-05-26T23:33:01+0000">26 May 2012</abbr> politics and government 3 Comments
</small>

At 62.1% of valid votes cast, Png Eng Huat (Workers’ Party) convincingly defeated Desmond Choo of the People’s Action Party (PAP) in the by-election 26 May 2012. Png’s vote-share was only a shade lower than the 64.8% that Yaw Shin Leong won in the general election of 2011 and hardly different from Low Thia Khiang’s 62.7% in the 2006 general election.
I’ll admit this: Png’s victory was better than I expected.
Yaw Shin Leong had benefitted hugely in May 2011 when party leader Low Thia Khiang anointed him as his heir for the single-member constituency of Hougang. Low had been the member of parliament for Hougang for twenty years since 1991, but in 2011 he decided he would lead the Workers’ Party team in neighbouring Aljunied group representation constituency (they won).
Hougang voters had evidently grown to like Low a lot, and their high regard for him was a huge advantage for Yaw last year.
However, in February this year, allegations of an extra-marital affair by Yaw and his clumsy, non-communicative way of handling the rumours led to his sacking from the party. The big question therefore was whether Hougang voters would become a lot more sceptical about the transferability of their esteem for Low to anyone else after the Yaw incident.
Now we know: Hougang voters still trust Low and the Workers’ Party and although Png is relatively new to them, they’re extending that trust to him too.
The election campaign was dominated by efforts at character assassination, led by Teo Chee Hean (PAP), the deputy prime minister. The media took the cue and played up Teo’s shrill allegations. Going by the way Desmond Choo kept his distance from these attacks, I reckon the candidate himself wanted no part of it, preferring to be a low-key nice guy to Hougang residents. Facebook chatter had it that Choo was dismayed by the strategy adopted by his own party’s bigwigs. I don’t know if that is true, but if it was, it must have been highly frustrating for him, because the mainstream media has been so pavlovian-trained to give big headlines to anything uttered by PAP leaders that invariably the daily headlines reflected what Teo wanted, rather than what Choo thought was wise.
In that sense, it was a reprise of the debacle in Aljunied in 2006. That was when George Yeo, one of the PAP candidates there, had to plead with other PAP leaders to tone down their heavy-fisted attacks. But to no avail. Lee Kuan Yew’s commandment to Singaporeans to vote PAP or else repent for five years was given full play by the mainstream media, but it so cheesed off voters, he could well have been single-handedly responsible for an extra 5 percentage points going to the opposition.
In the end, Teo’s character assassination strategy was either ignored by Hougang voters or perhaps served to fortify their determination to vote for Png Eng Huat.
The Straits Times asked me if the Poh Lee Guan affair had any effect. Firstly, I knew nothing about that because I was in Cambodia when it happened and was unable to read the news online. But I am told that this Workers’ Party old-timer had collected a set of nomination forms for himself without informing party headquarters. Apparently much hay was made of it (by the mainstream media and the PAP?) alleging disunity and chaos within the Workers’ Party.
It should be obvious now that Hougang voters refused to be distracted by it.
As I told the Straits Times: The result shows that the Singaporean voter is a mature one; he knows very well what he wants. He is not a little child that is easily distracted by side issues, petty allegations and empty noise.
And the lesson for the PAP? Learn to respect the voter.
The voter is clearly looking for a change in style and substantive changes in policy. This rang loud and clear in last year’s general election. However, the fact that the PAP engaged in exactly the same discredited tactics in this by-election probably told voters that the party has not absorbed the lesson. If it cannot even change style, what hope of changing policies? It doesn’t augur well.
Yawning Bread extends his heartiest congratulations to Png Eng Huat and the Workers’ Party.

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Congratulations, Workers' Party.

May you conquer East Coast GRC in 2016.

One would hope that the Workers' Party will conduct research, analyze data and statistics, walk the ground, and work hard to try to win Joo Chiat, East Coast GRC, and a few other SMC and GRC's in the future.

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Thick Face Black Heart said:
Yawning Bread says

If it cannot even change style, what hope of changing policies? It doesn&rsquo;t augur well

Yawning Bread usually writes well that reaches straight for the heart. In this article, I like this best: "If it cannot even change style, what hope of changing policies?"

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
Yawning Bread usually writes well that reaches straight for the heart. In this article, I like this best: "If it cannot even change style, what hope of changing policies?"

a number of PAP MPs wanted to change things from within... look who's talking? :p:p:p