• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Francis Seow specifically mentioned in his book that Low could have helped JBJ.......

RafflesTiger

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Francis Seow specifically mentioned in his book that Low could have helped JBJ...

Sir, why are you comparing a fledgling political opposition with established ones like the DAP and DPP? The population's attitude towards opposition is also different. And why do you seem to think that WP's stance in parliament will remain as it is? Might it not evolve as they get more practice?

Since you like things 'tough', let me be a little tough on you. You are not my 'friend', so please do not address me as such.

Thank you.

WP was founded 5 decades ago, it is 25 years older than DPP... DPP took 14 years to break through, overcoming martial law... I am not expecting Wp to do the same though

Last edited:

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
Re: Francis Seow specifically mentioned in his book that Low could have helped JBJ...

Have u guys wondered why Low is never invited for international talks on human rights and Chee is always invited?

for a long time me always thought Low wasn't invited because of his poor diction and Chee was invited because of his ang moh accent :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

RafflesTiger

Alfrescian
Loyal

Did i ? .... from CNA forum, u come all the way to stir the same here..... yeah...post more from your pathetic temasek times shit here....o|o

Please be tolerant of alternative views... Temasek Times is hardly a PAP mouthpiece.......

Last edited:

RafflesTiger

Alfrescian
Loyal

for a long time me always thought Low wasn't invited because of his poor diction and Chee was invited because of his ang moh accent :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Really?? Then why not invite Slyvia Lim... Truth be told, CNN and the foreign media do not think WP and PAP are that different... You are free to disagree

BusNo64

Alfrescian
Loyal

Please be tolerant of alternative views... Temasek Times is hardly a PAP mouthpiece.......

Torlerant ki lan... Dr Ong Chor Teck...have u visit geylang pros lately?

HTOLAS

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Sir, extreme states like martial law generate its own retaliatory mindsets - that provided a ready constituency for the DPP. Another ready constituency was the native Taiwanese (as opposed to the Mainlanders who came after 1945), who had been discriminated against for a long time.

So, while the DPP might have been relatively new as a political party, the problems it represents precede the WP. Another reason why the DPP is 'new' is simply because alternative parties were not allowed until external and internal pressure forced open the political landscape in Taiwan, relatively recently.

WP was founded 5 decades ago, it is 25 years older than DPP... DPP took 14 years to break through, overcoming martial law... I am not expecting Wp to do the same though

Last edited:

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset

Really?? Then why not invite Slyvia Lim...

oh... when did Chee come onto the political scene? when did Sylvia come onto the political scene? how long did it take the foreign media to identify Chee as an opposition in the Singapore political scene? has Sylvia been invited to international talks on human rights? had Sylvia and/or WP championed human rights in Singapore? if Sylvia and/or WP had not championed human rights in Singapore, does that mean that they are lesser of an opposition in Singapore? if Sylvia and/or WP had not championed human rights in Singapore now, does that mean that they are not going to do so in future?

of course, you're also free to disagree :smile::smile::smile:

RafflesTiger

Alfrescian
Loyal

Sir, extreme states like martial law generate its own retaliatory mindsets - that provided a ready constituency for the DPP. Another ready constituency was the native Taiwanese (as opposed to the Mainlanders who came after 1945), who had been discriminated against for a long time.

So, while the DPP might have been relatively new as a political party, the problems it represents precede the WP. Another reason why the DPP is 'new' is simply because alternative parties were note allowed until external and internal pressure forced open the political landscape in Taiwan, relatively recently.

Sir, as CSM put it, how many 5 years do we have?? If there can only be subtle change, bit by bit, I am afraid none of us will be around to witness it...

Just to quote an example.. During GE 2011, the foreign press interviewed a man who had difficulty walking and he hoped more will be done for him when more opposition MPs get in.. How many years can he wait?? How many years can we wait?

Do u know what the founding DPP leaders went through to build tawian as a vibrant democracy... The major of Kaoshiung for example was locked up for 6 years... Without sacrifice, there will not be change

Last edited:

RafflesTiger

Alfrescian
Loyal

oh... when did Chee come onto the political scene? when did Sylvia come onto the political scene? how long did it take the foreign media to identify Chee as an opposition in the Singapore political scene? has Sylvia been invited to international talks on human rights? had Sylvia and/or WP championed human rights in Singapore? if Sylvia and/or WP had not championed human rights in Singapore, does that mean that they are lesser of an opposition in Singapore? if Sylvia and/or WP had not championed human rights in Singapore now, does that mean that they are not going to do so in future?

of course, you're also free to disagree :smile::smile::smile:

Without freedom of expression, real change will not happen.. Face it, 100000 people can gather in KL, but once 3 gathers in Singapore holding paper cards, they will up red car...

steffychun

Alfrescian
Loyal

Francis Seow said Low did not help JBJ when he could have.. Instead, he took the chance to seize the leadership.. I surmise that he does not think Low is genuine opposition, even Gopolan Nair regularly takes pot shots at WP..

Do u guys know LKY has often spoken well of Low Thia Kiang... The PAP of today is hardly the PAP of yesterday but its the same with WP.. Have u seen the WP MPs debate in Parliament?? You guys truly believe WP will risk everything to champion your rights?? From their performance so far, I do not think so.. They steer well clear of the sensitive issues, if u know what I mean:smile:

Yaw Shin Leong might have been positioned as future WP leader as he is a PAP supporter, he openly declares how much he likes PAP..

Low is true opposition. Gopalan Nair is spewing crap.

Nice-Gook

Alfrescian
Loyal

This says all by the very peson who took a defunct Workers Party from David Marshall.....built it up with his sweat and blood; and in the process lost everything he owned and loved including his family and dignity.Without JBJ and his near capturing of a GRC and for the first time in Singapore the crowd it drew with fiery speeches of FS/JBJ/TLH---there would be no such thing as a WP branding.

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AvqE_xAN1is?version=3&feature=player_detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" height="360" width="640"></object>

Last edited:

HTOLAS

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Sir, Ms Sylvia Lim has been interviewed on the foreign media a number of times. Unfortunately, you'll have to take my word for it because I do not have the links.

Next, CSJ is often cited in the foreign media because:
  • He has actively sought this media attention, because he sees it as a way to highlight injustices in Singapore, which I respect
  • He is 'newsworthy' - he is portrayed as someone who is suffering for his beliefs in a dramatic way
  • Perhaps, the foreign media see him as having no other avenue of expressing his position.
And how did you manage to get into the minds of the foreign media to know that they do not think that WP is very similar to the PAP.

And, of course, you too are free to disagree.

Really?? Then why not invite Slyvia Lim... Truth be told, CNN and the foreign media do not think WP and PAP are that different... You are free to disagree

RafflesTiger

Alfrescian
Loyal

And yet Low did not help JBJ when he could as Francis Seow said..

steffychun

Alfrescian
Loyal

Take it as it is: Do you want a bleeding heart liberal human rights fighter like Chee in power? Then why have people ignored SDP after he ousted Chiam

RafflesTiger

Alfrescian
Loyal

Sir, Ms Sylvia Lim has been interviewed on the foreign media a number of times. Unfortunately, you'll have to take my word for it because I do not have the links.

Next, CSJ is often cited in the foreign media because:
  • He has actively sought this media attention, because he sees it as a way to highlight injustices in Singapore, which I respect
  • He is 'newsworthy' - he is portrayed as someone who is suffering for his beliefs in a dramatic way
  • Perhaps, the foreign media see him as having no other avenue of expressing his position.
And how did you manage to get into the minds of the foreign media to know that they do not think that WP is very similar to the PAP.

And, of course, you too are free to disagree.

If CSJ didn't genuinely believe in his cause, he would have sought political asylum already.. As for why I know that foreign media thinks PAP and WP are similiar, Yahoo had an article on this.. More or less saying they will cooperate as their ideology is not that different... Referring to the current WP, not the old one

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset

Without freedom of expression, real change will not happen.. Face it, 100000 people can gather in KL, but once 3 gathers in Singapore holding paper cards, they will up red car...

well, there are always points we can agree upon. this me is in agreement with you: there's a law forbidding 4 or more people to congregate in protest.

then again, change can happen even without any expression, for change itself is always in motion, i.e. changes are always taking place :o:o:o

RafflesTiger

Alfrescian
Loyal

Take it as it is: Do you want a bleeding heart liberal human rights fighter like Chee in power? Then why have people ignored SDP after he ousted Chiam

Among the DPP leaders today, most of them are like Chee... Its just that Singapore media has portrayed him in a bad light... After all its ranked only so low...

DPP taiwan is a suitable benchmark because its the only Chinese majority democratic country in the World like Singapore(you can disagree on this)

Last edited:

RafflesTiger

Alfrescian
Loyal

well, there are always points we can agree upon. this me is in agreement with you: there's a law forbidding 4 or more people to congregate in protest.

then again, change can happen even without any expression, for change itself is always in motion, i.e. changes are always taking place :o:o:o

CSM said, how many 5 years do we have?? How long will it take to change like this...

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset

And yet Low did not help JBJ when he could as Francis Seow said..

this is a very interesting topic to further our discussion:
how could Low had done to help JBJ? to clear his debts? using whose funds/monies?

RafflesTiger

Alfrescian
Loyal

this is a very interesting topic to further our discussion:
how could Low had done to help JBJ? to clear his debts? using whose funds/monies?

Francis Seow was not referring to the money part... He was referring to JBJ leaving WP under pressure... I mean JBJ need not resign as SG would he, even if he was bankrupt...

Actually that book is good reading.. talks about DPM Teo's involvement in Tang Liang Hong's case too

Last edited: