• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Goh Meng Seng's flipflopping

wikiphile

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
http://singaporealternatives.blogspot.com/2012/05/hougang-by-election-finale-on-battle-of.html

Hougang By-election: The Finale on the Battle of Hearts and Minds
Both PAP and WP have concluded their Election Rallies and interesting enough, both are battling for the HEARTS now. Both sides talk about HEARTs, bottom of my heart, touch the hearts... etc.

Watching the WP rally tonight reminds me of GE2006. The emotions ran high. The tears and sweat...

WP has successfully arouse the emotions of the voters again. Although I would say that the speeches by a few people could have been better and the points are really sounding very pale. It seems that WP's think tank was unable to come up with new angles, new issues and new rally slogans except that "Huat Ah".

To win an elections, it depends very much on the middle ground swing voters. WP has managed to secure the support of its hardcore supporters in Hougang in spite of the various problems it faced right from the start of this by-election... from the resignation of its Nee Soon Indian candidate Sajeev, the mysterious double singer of Dr Poh Lee Guan to the unfortunate Secret Squirrel leaking document to discredit Png Eng Huat etc, these hardcore supporters will not be swayed.

But emotions aside, my mind tells me that WP's Png Eng Huat is really inferior in many counts when compared to Desmond Choo. As an opposition member, we carry the flag of democracy and voice of the people into parliament. We must make sure that every MPs in the parliament counts in the battle for the rights and welfare of the people. There is no luxury like PAP which has over 80 MPs and they could afford a few MPs who cannot speak, debate and talk well in parliament. As my last posting has indicated, Png Eng Huat is really not ready to be an EFFECTIVE MP in parliament by the assessment of his performance during this BE.

But emotionally, I still hope that WP could win Hougang. Yes, I know, I have declared independence and not supposed to help any parties to win this election and I have stuck to this until tonight.

I have walked and worked the ground in Hougang many donkey years ago, prior to GE2006. I have emotional attachment of how we have done every little possible things to help the residents there, in spite of the lack of critical resources. We sweat with determination to over come all odds to achieve our aims. We helped to write parliamentary speeches and engaged in policy issue discussions to strengthen our MP's voice in parliament. Sometimes the debate on key issues could drag on over midnight. Hougang may not be the BEST constituency in Singapore in terms of infrastructure but we tried out very best to enhance all the heartware.

These are the experiences that one would not forget easily. Even for former WP members like Eric Tan, in spite of feeling betrayed and disenchanted with the party for whatever reasons, our hearts will hold true to the days we have spent in building and developing the party throughout the years. No one would want to destroy the work and foundation which he has contributed in building. Thus, I could understand why Eric, in spite of his disgruntled heart, has chosen to step forward to speak up for Png Eng Huat in all truthfulness.

I may be different because I have chosen a more long winded path. I may sound cynical and mean in my critiques of WP and its MPs, but ultimately, for a true blue fighter who believe in democratic development for Singapore, we will always stand in solidarity when the beating comes. My critiques of Workers Party and its MPs come at a cost to me but I don't really mind. I always believe that every parties, politically, will need to be checked and balanced. If they really take my critiques in proper light, I hope that they will benefit from it.

I have said before in my Facebook, I may just spoil my vote if the candidate from the opposition party really could not make it. But the truth is, I didn't spoil my vote in GE2011 when the opposition party team contesting in my Ang Mo Kio GRC was just so weak. I voted for them and that is heart over mind, really. Voting is never a rational decision for hardcore opposition supporters like me.

Thus, in retrospect, even though with all honesty, I find Png Eng Huat much inferior than Desmond Choo in many aspects, if I were to be Hougang voter, I would still vote for the sake of democracy development, the opposition party Workers Party.

For the middle ground voters in Hougang reading my post, I just hope that you could give democratic development a chance and vote for Workers Party. Yes, you have seen the true strength of WP candidate Png Eng Huat here which I have made unreserved criticisms on his bearing and weaknesses, but ultimately, Democracy needs the process to groom opposition members over time. Nobody is a born leader or politician. I believe that Png Eng Huat, after this tough battle, he would accelerate through the learning curve and hopefully, he would become a seasoned politician in time to come. I also hope that Workers Party would be humbled and recognize the fact that they alone, may not be strong enough to fight the battle against the mighty PAP machinery.

The arrogance of WP members and strategy is less than desirable. They have been overwhelmed by their success in GE2011 and unfortunately, become the prisoners of their own success. As I have said before, the success of GE2011 should belong to each and everyone who have played their parts in the GE2011 and not WP alone. Without the effort of other opposition parties raising various issues, WP could not make that critical WOW impact. This BE has demonstrated very clearly the lack of new policy issues and focus when WP is being left alone to do the battle. The issues raised in BE has been recycled again and again until they are very stale. WP must understand that their success in GE2011 is not solely due to their own effort or branding but rather, they have rode on the waves created by many other opposition parties in the build up towards the GE.

On the other hand, I hope WP could do some reflections on why there are so much internal problems and unhappiness within. I do not believe the series of events are the result of some high level conspiracy which Low TK seems to suggest at tonight's rally. I believe these things happen because there are disillusioned members who are unhappy with the management of the party by the leadership. Low TK has put it quite well that for our Nation, we need a government who is just and fair. However, this may also apply to running a party as well. I sincerely hope that Low TK and his CEC members should review and reflect upon whether the management style has been fair and just to others.

All these problems WP is facing, may just be the process of growing pain. As Low TK has rightly put, even PAP has gone through such painful growth process in its initial years. But I sincerely hope that Low TK would also realize the importance of the coordinated efforts of other opposition parties as well.

Last but not least, once again, for the middle ground voters in Hougang who are reading my blog, I sincerely hope that you can give Democracy a chance, vote WP.

Goh Meng Seng

I am not impressed, we shall see who wins Hougang this Saturday

If you really want to give democracy a chance, it is up to the voters to decide who they want to vote for, not endorsing a party you have been slamming so hard the past 1 year

wikiphile

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I was having breakfast with friend and from the discussions we have, it seems that there is really an undercurrent going on in Hougang.

The coffeeshops are not talking about the BE at all, this is rather strange for opposition stronghold. It is like deafening peace and silence before the storm brew.

The likelihood of WP gettng below 55% is getting higher and maybe even lose Hougang, I won't be surprised. WP has made several critical mistakes so far; the selection of Png to contest against Desmond is one big mistake. The contrast is just too big to ignore. Scroobal should put up my latest analysis on the two candidates. The appearance of LTK and other MPs along side of Png also put a big contrast to Desmond's relatively low profile contest. That's another critical mistake they are making.

Goh Meng Seng

The numbers will let itself be known tomorrow, don't even bother to reply until Saturday night when the results are out GMS

Char_Azn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
GMS just loss all credibility as a politic analyst when he admitted he actually voted for this idiot -> Alex Tan

Last edited:

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
GMS just loss all credibility as a politic analyst when he admitted he actually voted for this idiot -> Alex Tan
Since when is he a POLTICAL ANALyst? Self declared one no count. Like that, everyone here also can be POLITICAL ANALyst but I doubt anyone will do so.

rusty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Goh Meng Seng was stupid to vote knowingly a weak field.

Honey,
Why you say GMS is stupid when he can perform Flip-Flop?
I think the PAP Hip Hop is worst
Maybe you didn't understand what Flip-Flop is
I will show you what it is like when you have calmed down
Tonight I won't be going home
I am so sad and wish to be alone

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
wikiphile said:
I am not impressed, we shall see who wins Hougang this Saturday

If you really want to give democracy a chance, it is up to the voters to decide who they want to vote for, not endorsing a party you have been slamming so hard the past 1 year

He is trying to place his bets on both sides and stake a share in the glory of WP for its grand success over the PAP. Ironically this commentary would have had some scholastic value if the personal prejudices were able to be suppressed. But I believe the long series of personal failures was too painful to bear so it was not to be.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Its a terrible article. If he did this for his A levels GP, it will be a straight F. The issue is BE for Hougang and not about opposition solidarity, WP's past conduct, his personal issues etc.

Candidates are never voted on their own merit. Party branding is a key factor. Common sense will tell even an idiot that it s vote on PAP's conduct in the main and nothing to do with Png or Desmond.

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
Scroobal,

I do not agree with your view at all. Even in a GE, different candidates from the same party will get different results. Candidates' strength and profile DO MATTER. These matter even MORE in SMC, especially when it is a by-election.

Goh Meng Seng

Its a terrible article. If he did this for his A levels GP, it will be a straight F. The issue is BE for Hougang and not about opposition solidarity, WP's past conduct, his personal issues etc.

Candidates are never voted on their own merit. Party branding is a key factor. Common sense will tell even an idiot that it s vote on PAP's conduct in the main and nothing to do with Png or Desmond.

rusty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Scroobal,

I do not agree with your view at all. Even in a GE, different candidates from the same party will get different results. Candidates' strength and profile DO MATTER. These matter even MORE in SMC, especially when it is a by-election.
Goh Meng Seng

You do not agree with the last part of scroobal's view which is the party branding

What's your reaction to his two other views below?

1.Your article is terrible....you'll get a straight F for A level GP

2.Instead of focusing your analysis on Hougang BE, you were hitting at opposition solidarity, WP's past conduct and personal issues

jixiaolan

Alfrescian
Loyal

Personal merit of candidate not important? Pls tell why the Democrat and Republican always "alternate" to lead America. Your view may make sense to people living outside Hougang but not the resident.

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
Err... who cares about whether PAP wins hearts and minds of the voters or not at this instance? Sometimes you sound more like a mole than anything else!

Goh Meng Seng

You do not agree with the last part of scroobal's view which is the party branding

What's your reaction to his two other views below?

1.Your article is terrible....you'll get a straight F for A level GP

2.Instead of focusing your analysis on Hougang BE, you were hitting at opposition solidarity, WP's past conduct and personal issues

Huat-Ah

Alfrescian
Loyal
Err... who cares about whether PAP wins hearts and minds of the voters or not at this instance? Sometimes you sound more like a mole than anything else!

Goh Meng Seng

Why don't you SHUT THE FU@K UP and enjoy your Stupid Hongkong Trip. No one is listening to you afterall you are a TERRIBLE FAILED Leader in NSP Party ! ( 2011 Elections already PROVEN IT )

Why don't talk so much and waste time in politics ? You NEVER LEARN your lesson. Still looking back your history !

In my honest Opinion, you TOTALLY FORGOTTEN how your Brother Sacrifice for YOU Goh Meng Seng !

Respect the Dead !

Enuff Said !

rusty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Goh Meng Seng

You have a very bad habit of drifting and losing your direction
Learn to read and focus on what you have read
It may be of help in your aspiration to be a good analyst
Incidentally, I have a very strong liking and adoration for mole

Last edited:

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You have a very bad habit of drifting and losing your direction
Learn to read and focus on what you have read
It may be of help in your aspiration to be a good analyst
Incidentally, I have a very strong liking and adoration for mole

Can show moles on vital organs? Thanks.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Not the way that you wrote. Desmond is one digit. He has been given promises, given a job with NTUC on Admin Service payscale and he has nothing to lose.

Png on the other hand is a complete volunteer, no promises, no nothing. He has everything to lose. He could have just concentrated on his business, watch TV and pick his nose. He instead stepped forward and fighting a mighty goliath. Why did Png do it?

I rather Png be given the opportunity to represent us.

Scroobal,

Goh Meng Seng

ThePlen

Alfrescian
Loyal
he doesn't have the best business acumen as well... in a way, i think he has nothing to lose

Not the way that you wrote. Desmond is one digit. He has been given promises, given a job with NTUC on Admin Service payscale and he has nothing to lose.

Png on the other hand is a complete volunteer, no promises, no nothing. He has everything to lose. He could have just concentrated on his business, watch TV and pick his nose. He instead stepped forward and fighting a mighty goliath. Why did Png do it?

I rather Png be given the opportunity to represent us.