• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

What is Png Eng Huat loses: Implications for GE2016 & WP

sense

Alfrescian
Loyal
1. Hardcore oppositions will vote for PEH/WP.
2. Hardcore propositions will blindly vote for the DC/PAP.
3. This message is for the moderates, though it would probably reach only a fraction of them in this forum.

If Png Eng Huat loses:
a) Singapore will lose an established opposition ward.
b) Come GE2016, either LTK will return to woo the moderates or Slyvia will sacriface herself there. This will in turn weaken Aljunied, and at the same time, it may be too late to regain Hougang - resulting a probable total lost in 2016 (from a double down win in 2011). This will then be a very very sad day for Singapore where we are likely to have zero opposition MP in the parliament. Yes, I don't expect Lina will win in GE2016. With zero opposition in the parliament, don't be surprise to see more of MahBTs and WongKSs creeping in + more non-pro-Singapore policies.

If Png Eng Huat wins:
a) In terms of competency, he may be less competent than LTK and even YSL, however, as LTK baby, it is probable that to expect LTK to back Hougang if PEH proved to be less than competent.
b) With Hougang and Aljunied in the opposition hands, we can expect that PAP will continue to work hard (recall the sacking of Mah BT and Wong KS) after GE2011.

Moment-of-Truth.gif

Last edited:

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
3. This message is for the moderates, though it would probably reach only a fraction of them in this forum.

If Png Eng Huat loses:
b) Come GE2016, either LTK will return to woo the moderates or Slyvia will sacriface herself there. This will in turn weaken Aljunied, and at the same time, it may be too late to regain Hougang - resulting a probable total lost in 2016 (from a double down win in 2011). This will then be a very very sad day for Singapore where we are likely to have zero opposition MP in the parliament. Yes, I don't expect Lina will win in GE2016. With zero opposition in the parliament, don't be surprise to see more of MahBTs and WongKSs creeping in + more non-pro-Singapore policies.

If Png Eng Huat wins:
a) In terms of competency, he may be less competent than LTK and even YSL, however, as LTK baby, it is probable that to expect LTK to back Hougang if PEH proved to be less than competent.
b) With Hougang and Aljunied in the opposition hands, we can expect that PAP will continue to work hard (recall the sacking of Mah BT and Wong KS) after GE2011.

Moment-of-Truth.gif

Mr Sense: Whether you make sense or not, let's wait for GMS to comment. If he agrees with you, you are NONsense. If he disagrees with you, you make sense.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
A few weeks before GE 2011, someone in this forum stated the possibility that WP may lose its only parliamentary presence after 2 decades. I recall that statement and the impact it had on the forum. You can sense the lack of confidence, people became more muted when making projections, etc. It took a couple weeks to raise the tempo and the forum came back to normal.

When WP smashed the GRC monopoly and up their winning margin in Hougang, suddenly everyone felt that they were experts and knew from the very beginning that WP will win at that scale.

Politics is never about gut feel. Voters in an electorate cut across a whole spectrum and they form opinions about parties over a period of time. They recall who made their rounds at the wet market, who was bullying whom etc. Unless there is a significant event, a swing of such proportion is unimaginable. Yaws is not significant event.

More importantly it about voters feeling confident about their future and that of their kids.

Elections in Singapore's recent history is about the conduct of the PAP and the future of Singaporeans. The future of Singapore might be bright but not the future of Singaporeans. They are struggling to keep their jobs. They seen their country changing overnight. They are abused by FTs, Ang Mos whack their biking helmet on their cars, jump queue and god knows what else.

This BE is not about Png or WP. Its about the scorecard of the PAP. Its about the sincerity of the apology and promise made by the PM.

I can't recall a single positive from the PAP since the conclusion of 2011 GE. Hougang will remain in non PAP hands.

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
I have contrarian view on this one.

It is not a bad thing for WP to lose Hougang:

1) Opposition movement as a whole will have less problems with 3 corner fights as WP will mellow down and not boss around.

2) Aljunied will be the last fort for WP and voters there will be pressed to vote WP in order to keep WP representatives in parliament. i.e. Victory assured in Aljunied and most probably, with higher margin if there isn't any 3 corner fight.

3) No stock market or property market will just shoot up the roof. If that happens, most likely the crash will be very very hard. This may just be an adjustment period for WP to take reality of what went wrong with them. Good period for reflections and seek fault lines and amend them all.

4) The loss will send a clear message to WP and opposition parties at large (especially those newcomers who think their paper qualifications mean everything), don't take voters for granted. If you don't perform or screw up, you will be out of the game. Never mind if this is a stronghold or not.

Goh Meng Seng

rusty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

1) Opposition movement as a whole will have less problems with 3 corner fights as WP will mellow down and not boss around.

2) Aljunied will be the last fort for WP and voters there will be pressed to vote WP in order to keep WP representatives in parliament. i.e. Victory assured in Aljunied and most probably, with higher margin if there isn't any 3 corner fight.

3) No stock market or property market will just shoot up the roof. If that happens, most likely the crash will be very very hard. This may just be an adjustment period for WP to take reality of what went wrong with them. Good period for reflections and seek fault lines and amend them all.

4) The loss will send a clear message to WP and opposition parties at large (especially those newcomers who think their paper qualifications mean everything), don't take voters for granted. If you don't perform or screw up, you will be out of the game. Never mind if this is a stronghold or not.

Goh Meng Seng

You have stated 4 items
The first is enough to drive me nuts and there is no point reading the rest
I have decided to tattoo my cockhead if WP loses
You prefer your name on it or Kinana?

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You have stated 4 items

May I suggest you tatoo "Kinana Goh Meng Seng" on your cockhead. I don't mind footing the bill for the added name. My privilege. My honour.

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
Don't anyhow say things like Png Eng Huat... it may just come back and haunt you later! :wink:

Goh Meng Seng

You have stated 4 items

kazuo

Alfrescian
Loyal

Goh Meng Seng

You just have loads of rigmarole and rhetorical nonsense. Understand the word "contrarian" before you make me laugh

cleareyes

Alfrescian
Loyal

Politics is abt competition and not abt who or what or when or how

If there were to be a 3 corner fight, then let it be so and may the best man win

In fact, whomever mellowed down is the loser in politics. GMS, please dont make it sound so ethical when there are no ethics to speak off at times.

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal
No. 4 means if WP lost Hougang just because of one YSL out of 23, NSP won't win or retain any seat since they had a maid affair, a student affair, two gay affairs and one normal affair - total 5 among the 24. The first among the 5 has been proven true, as the chap contested 4 elections and never won.

Last edited:

rusty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
May I suggest you tatoo "Kinana Goh Meng Seng" on your cockhead. I don't mind footing the bill for the added name. My privilege. My honour.

Thanks for the offer but am afraid I cannot put the two of them together for obvious reasons.

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
As a party commentator, its amazing what drivel you can spin.

When in 1997 the PAP won back two of the 4 seats it lost in 1991, it was a dent in the opposition movement. Opposition supporters lost confidence, the MSM played up all the infighting with renewed vigour, and the populace as a whole was ingrained with the impression that opposition will forever lack credibility, lack discipline, etc.

You tell me how that is good for SG's political advancement.

WP will not lose HG. Period. So what you're saying is purely academic, and even if purely academic, is simply wrong. I mean, dead wrong.

Goh Meng Seng

Kinana

Alfrescian
Loyal
If WP loses, there will hopefully be a big shakeup in the party leading to Low's stepping aside and letting Chen take over cos its about time.

Robert Half

Alfrescian
Loyal

If Png Eng Huat loses:

If Png Eng Huat wins:

Moment-of-Truth.gif

I hope you can be fair with your words with Mr Png. Who are you to judge Mr Png competency as an MP ?

Maybe he can do better than anyone else in Hougang.

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
This BE is not about Png or WP. Its about the scorecard of the PAP. Its about the sincerity of the apology and promise made by the PM.

me two cents:
the PAP knew for sure they will lose Hougang, otherwise we would have seen more trumpeting and much fanfare. reckoned that they played the "underdog" card, so as to secure some sympathy votes. character assassination is just another usual tactic employed, and recently noticed "residents' reflection" floating around the social media, ranging from MTVs and/or ridiculous smear campaigns. the PAP simply forgotten that 公道自在人心 (justice is an innate quality in us).
it will be the collective will of the electorate at each constituency to come to a realisation that enough is enough. folks in Aljunied GRC joined hands with folks in Hougang SMC to resist the monopoly of power. folks from the other wards are watching. Hougang will remain in non PAP hands that's for sure, but let's look beyond that. me is looking at the possibility of a Government made of proportional representation of the electorate's will. how else to make the government listen to the voices of her peoples is not through any NCMP scheme or NMP scheme. it is by voting these MIWs out.

MAJULAH, SINGAPURA, MAJULAH!

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If the PAP acted fairly, they would not have amended the Constitution to implement the GRC, etc. because they always had more than the 2/3 or 3/4 (whatever the percentage) majority to make amendments to the Constitution or any other legislation, at will. What they should have morally done, is to hold a referendum.

Based on their past conduct, it is unlike that the PAP will even consider proportional representation, let alone introduce the necessary legislation. The Singapore Parliament should revert back to the Single Member Constituencies, and no more re-drawing of the electoral boundaries, regardless whether one SMC has an increase or decrease of population. They should straight lines as much as possible, rather than whatever bases they have used to date.

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
If the PAP acted fairly, they would not have amended the Constitution to implement the GRC, etc. because they always had more than the 2/3 or 3/4 (whatever the percentage) majority to make amendments to the Constitution or any other legislation, at will. What they should have morally done, is to hold a referendum.

it's 2/3 ayes. the PAP never imagined that the very GRC structure they've created to secure their power would had been breached by any opposition at all. it's coming back to bite them in their arse. like a stack of dominoes falling, SDP, NSP and hopefully the Chiams can make some inroads. we need to take down at least 5 GRCs in the next GE :o:o:o

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
it's 2/3 ayes. the PAP never imagined that the very GRC structure they've created to secure their power would had been breached by any opposition at all. it's coming back to bite them in their arse. like a stack of dominoes falling, SDP, NSP and hopefully the Chiams can make some inroads. we need to take down at least 5 GRCs in the next GE :o:o:o

May be they believed that with the GRC, they will be invincible.
It is a double edged sword.
It may the beginning of their descent to the ground.
To be fair, there should only be single member constituencies,
regardless of the composition of ehtnic groups in each constituency.
They are the ones who made ridiculous policies, by moving Malays and Indians
out of their traditional areas, and thereafter claiming that they need GRC to ensure
that the minorities are represented in Parliament.
Crap!