• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Home theater

garlic

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Ok, as promised, would post a report on the things i settled for.

1) LG 55LM6200 Cinema 3D Smart TV/ w 4 pairs of 3D glasses and one Blu-ray player $2,488 - Audio House
2) Denon AVR - 1612 $525, they are clearing stocks as new models will replace the entire range, so got it quite cheaply - Alpha Audio @ Sim Lim
3) Orb Audio People's choice Home Theater Speakers $1688 - www.breathingsounds.com

With the cables and mounts, all in still below budget of $5k. One thing to note is the free Blu-Ray player is capable to play mkv files with DTS output to the AV receiver. Plug a external HDD with mkv and it is able to recognise the drive and you can choose the file to playback, really not bad for a free gift.

Thanks for all suggestions, i went to hear the brands that some of you mentioned, out of my budget lei. A few Ks just for speakers alone is too extravagant for me, but just goes to show the diversity of ppl here, such audiophiles in this forum is incredible. Another thing to note is i auditioned one brand of sub woofer, Velodyne. To me, this sub is really good, if i stay in big big ang moh chu, would definitely get one.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Thanks for all suggestions, i went to hear the brands that some of you mentioned, out of my budget lei. A few Ks just for speakers alone is too extravagant for me, but just goes to show the diversity of ppl here, such audiophiles in this forum is incredible. Another thing to note is i auditioned one brand of sub woofer, Velodyne. To me, this sub is really good, if i stay in big big ang moh chu, would definitely get one.

As long as you're happy with the sound, that's all that matters. :wink:

bryanlim1972

Alfrescian
Loyal

1) LG 55LM6200 Cinema 3D Smart TV/ w 4 pairs of 3D glasses and one Blu-ray player $2,488 - Audio House
2) Denon AVR - 1612 $525, they are clearing stocks as new models will replace the entire range, so got it quite cheaply - Alpha Audio @ Sim Lim
3) Orb Audio People's choice Home Theater Speakers $1688 - www.breathingsounds.com

With the cables and mounts, all in still below budget of $5k. One thing to note is the free Blu-Ray player is capable to play mkv files with DTS output to the AV receiver. Plug a external HDD with mkv and it is able to recognise the drive and you can choose the file to playback, really not bad for a free gift.

saw this thread too late, but you can try building your own speakers for your next setup:
http://www.parts-express.com/wizards/searchResults.cfm?srchExt=CAT&srchCat=766

i made these: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=302-961 and hooked them up to a peachtree audio idecco. many who have heard this setup think i've spent many thousands of $ to get this level of quality.

GOD IS MY DOG

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

you spend too much on the tv liao lah................

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
garlic said:

My only gripe for this setup is that 3D of the TV is of the passive type which although marketed strongly as flicker-free (why worry about flickers when most 3D TV frame refresh rates are now at least 200 Hz if not more) are not truly full HD. But since you are not really interested in 3D anyway, it could be the cheaper choice.

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Fook Seng said:
My only gripe for this setup is that 3D of the TV is of the passive type which although marketed strongly as flicker-free (why worry about flickers when most 3D TV frame refresh rates are now at least 200 Hz if not more) are not truly full HD. But since you are not really interested in 3D anyway, it could be the cheaper choice.

The other thing is the SMRT TV feature, which in most cases is not user friendly, so you hardly use it. Can save you further money buying a TV without it. You can also do the same thing using some BD players.

GOD IS MY DOG

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Damn, how much is reasonable?

yeah, not really into 3D just "good to have" so no need high-end type. I thought 2k+ for a 55' was ok :S

yes, reasonable price but i would have bought a cheaper smaller tv and spend more on the speakers.........but if tv more important for you, then ok lor