• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Make your Margin Prediction Here - Hougang By Elections

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Background:
2011 - WP 64.8% (Margin 29.6%) PAP 35.2%
2006 - WP 62.7% (Margin 25.4%) PAP 37.3%
2001 - WP 55% (Margin 10%) PAP 45%
1997 - WP 58% (Margin 16%) PAP 42%
1991 - WP 52.8%(Margin 5.6%) PAP 47.2%

My prediction - WP by 30%(margin)

Those who think that PAP will win please go down to Blk 57B, New Upper Changi Rd, #01-1402, PCF Building, Singapore 463057 and ask for Lau Ping Sum. He probably will laugh at you. He is also taking a rest after replacing Cynthia Phua and Lim Hwee Hua for Paya Lebar and Serangoon only last week as Branch Chairpersons with one new MP candidate who is a lawyer and another old time party veteran.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Background:
2011 - WP 64.8% (Margin 29.6%) PAP 35.2%
2006 - WP 62.7% (Margin 25.4%) PAP 37.3%
2001 - WP 55% (Margin 10%) PAP 45%
1997 - WP 58% (Margin 16%) PAP 42%
1991 - WP 52.8%(Margin 5.6%) PAP 47.2%

Those who think that PAP will win please go down to Blk 57B, New Upper Changi Rd, #01-1402, PCF Building, Singapore 463057 and ask for Lau Ping Sum. He probably will laugh at you. He is also taking a rest after replacing Cynthia Phua and Lim Hwee Hua for Paya Lebar and Serangoon only last week as Branch Chairpersons with one new MP candidate who is a lawyer and another old time party veteran.

2012 - WP 68%, PAP 32% (Margin 36%)

denzuko1

Alfrescian
Loyal
the margin can only increase because of the delay in decision for by-election. What is more worse than depriving the ward supporting the opposition their representation in parliament? It is quite obvious that the people there are not looking a goodie bags and more keen on what's right and wrong.

aurvandil

Alfrescian
Loyal
Background:

This BE is hard to predict because of 2 key factors.

1) Will the hidden third force in Singapore politics show their hand and send a candidate to Hougang? If they do and the person is a well respected person formerly associated with the establishment, all bets are off.

2) How will the msm handle the on going sex scandal involving the underage girl? Will this be played up and used to tarnish WP's image at the last minute? Also will they bring back YSL by shining the spotlight on him just as we go into the BE campaign period?

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I'd just estimate at the same margin of the GE 2011, i.e. WP 65% and PAP 35%. For those who haven't been to Hougang and saw what's going on there, it really doesn't matter who WP fields as candidate and it doesn't matter who the candidate has been sleeping with. Hougang WP distribution of free groceries (rice, salt, sugar etc.) can last half a day long of queue. Hougang WP daytrips around Singapore or to Johor can command a convoy 15 buses, i.e. 600 passengers. No PAP wards can match that even with their RC and CCC manpower support. Comes 7th Lunar Month it's practically one dinner table invitation every other day. Running a political party and being an MP running a ward isn't like what GMS says, talking about policies and economics that nobody understands and many-a-times bewildering himself but pretending to understand, arguing off track and just showing others how clueslessly stubborn he is.

To be fair and not to be misguidedly arrogant, WP success in Hougang hinged on the factor that then, Hougang was WP's only ward. Whole party resources could be committed there. Now that Aljunied GRC has been won, the resources have to be spread around modeled after Hougang, hopefully with more resources forthcoming.

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset

bro,
the second point you've raised is moot. the PAP wouldn't get themselves too dirty with the Yaw-gate. briefly mentioned and they will move right along. the accountability issue would be their primary game plan.
the third force that you've mentioned may be an issue, but my kopi sessions around Hougang gave me the impression that folks here root for WP, any third party in can kiss goodbye to their deposit, save for our Captain Goh. still waiting for him to put his money where his mouth is :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
aurvandil said:

1) Will the hidden third force in Singapore politics show their hand and send a candidate to Hougang? If they do and the person is a well respected person formerly associated with the establishment, all bets are off.

2) How will the msm handle the on going sex scandal involving the underage girl? Will this be played up and used to tarnish WP's image at the last minute? Also will they bring back YSL by shining the spotlight on him just as we go into the BE campaign period?

Most important of all, will the PAP be in an attack mode or a defensive mode. Although YSL and other sex related issues are fodder for weak minded people, WP is in a position to control this. If they take on an aggressive stance and attack policies, PAP would have no choice but to go on the defensive. This is important to claim the 3 to 4% points on the final days.

rusty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Maybe MSM could also throw some lights on SCDF and CNB sex scandal also. It involved public funds while the underage case was private

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
This is important to claim the 3 to 4% points on the final days.

the last thing PAP need to do is to repeat a JG incident and having their cadre to put pamphlets under the doors of the constituents. the Yaw-gate will only be briefly mentioned, then the projects DC had dished out will continue to hog the limelight. they will try to brush away issues like the MRT faults, rising costs of living and high FT influx.

Kinana

Alfrescian
Loyal
I predict a close fight and PAP can even win.
The Yaw scandal and WP's bad performance can only swing the voters towards PAP. How much the swing, nobody will know until the results are out.