• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

now old uncle can go bangkok liao!!

kopiuncle

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
SINGAPORE: Scoot, Singapore Airlines' low frills budget carrier will fly to Bangkok in July.

With that, the SIA group will have three brands operating in one market, including Tiger Airways.

And this has prompted some market watchers to wonder if the legacy carrier is cannibalising its own product offerings as Scoot provides a much cheaper option for travellers.

On average, over 20 flights depart Singapore's Changi Airport for Bangkok daily.

It's the second busiest route out of Singapore, after Jakarta.

Come July, SIA's Scoot will begin daily flights to Bangkok, offering a total of some 400 seats per day.

All in, SIA, Tiger Airways and Scoot will operate 11 flights to Thailand's capital city daily.

Paul Ng, global head of Aviation, Stephenson Harwood, said: "The people at SIA or Scoot may see that there is heavy traffic and operate that route for a limited period of time. For long periods of time, it does seem to beg the question whether it's a wise thing to do when there's a sister carrier doing exactly the same thing, inhabiting the same space."

Scoot said it is deploying aircraft to Bangkok to maximise utilisation and operate more efficiently rather than leaving the planes idle.

And this will provide a cheaper alternative for consumers.

For a start, Scoot's offering a return trip to Bangkok at S$88, much cheaper than the current fare of around S$200 from Tiger Airways and about S$500 from Singapore Airlines.

Analysts said the Singapore-Bangkok route will be a hotly contested one, but there are still profits to be made.

Leithen Francis, Asia Editor, Aviation Week, said: "I think Scoot's going to put a lot of pressure on ticket prices. For flights to Bangkok, because they've got the bigger aircraft, they've got more tickets to sell and so the temptation for them to give more discounts.

"And also because they're operating a wider aircraft, the cost per available seat per kilometre is lower than the narrow body aircraft that Tiger or AirAsia operates. So theoretically, Scoot could offer cheaper fares than Tiger or AirAsia and still make a profit. "

Scoot will be the first low cost medium haul carrier to fly a short haul route. And as fuel costs and airport slot constraints continue to rise, experts expect more carriers to fly larger planes on shorter routes in order to stay profitable.

On Wednesday, the International Air Transport Association (IATA) announced that total passenger demand rose 7.6 per cent on-year in March 2012.

IATA estimates that the year-on-year rise in air travel in March was about two percentage points higher than it would otherwise have been as events like the Arab Spring and the earthquake and tsunami in Japan in 2011 had depressed passenger demand.

"If we discount the industry's growth by two percentage points as a result of the extraordinary events in 2011, airlines still managed an expansion in the range of 5-6 per cent," said Tony Tyler, IATA's Director General and CEO.

"Given the prevailing economic conditions with some European states returning to recession, passenger demand is holding up well. But this is bringing little relief to the bottom line because yields are not keeping pace with the continued very high price of oil," he added.

- CNA/cc

Muthukali

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
july to and flow $88 flat? tax, fuel, admin inclusive? if yes, good grab, sabai dee mak mak.

Raiders

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
No wonder our Singapore companies are losing their pants. SQ, Tiger, now Scoot all flying the same route and Bangkok route always have one of the cheapest fares whenever there is any riots there.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Call Joetys. Ask him or his maid to drive you from airport to town.

Pii Ram you very buay-sai (cannot) la, this type of special treatment is only extended to you and now you advertise to the whole world how can la pii.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I remember when Tiger 1st started their service everything was ok. They even gave a complimentary drink on the flight to BKK.
Over time their standard have fallen that now even if someone offered me a free ticket I wouldn't dare fly Tiger.

As Scoot is just starting it will probably be ok, but who knows what the future will bring. It may be the next Tiger II airline:wink:

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
I remember when Tiger 1st started their service everything was ok. They even gave a complimentary drink on the flight to BKK.
Over time their standard have fallen that now even if someone offered me a free ticket I wouldn't dare fly Tiger.

As Scoot is just starting it will probably be ok, but who knows what the future will bring. It may be the next Tiger II airline:wink:

So we used to have Tora ; now we going to have Tora Tora. knn sure die liao.

Qantas

Alfrescian
Loyal

You sure are rite, man! Over time, Scoot will become Tiger Mark II. Stick with Jetstar Asia, the best budget carrier this part of the world (see my nick!)

Kinana

Alfrescian
Loyal
It makes sense for Scoot, SQ and Tiger to run the same route because if they don't, someone else will do it to meet demand.

B

Baluku

Why they keep opening up so many budget airlines and give you HF services?

Have too much money dunno where to spend?

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
So we used to have Tora ; now we going to have Tora Tora. knn sure die liao.

You must be pretty old if you remember that old movie "Tora Tora" :smile:
If they cut corners by using unqualified technicians there will be "incidents". Unlike MRT trains when a plane has a break down in the sky it will as you say Tora Tora.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Jetstar is best. AirAsia is close second best. Forget the rest. Especially if anything to do with SIA. If you must want to take SIA, take the full fare SIA fights.

Last edited:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You sure are rite, man! Over time, Scoot will become Tiger Mark II. Stick with Jetstar Asia, the best budget carrier this part of the world (see my nick!)

With all the problems of the Spore brand: MRT trains breaking down, unpredictable ponding, over budgeting by our MPs,... one has to worry about the efficiency of companies run by the gov't.
Suspect it's because many GLCs are lazy because they know they can cut corners without having to answer to any independant watchdog. If you are a kaki of the owners daughter-in law you will even be rewarded for incompetence :eek:

In this kind of "political" environment don't expect anything world class except maybe pay wise to emerge :wink:

Last edited:

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
open skies helps.

and SIA is losing their pants on SIN-BKK route i would imagine. hence, to fill the gap, they use Scoot. Tiger is hopeless against Jetstar & Airasia.

Funnily, they don't use Silkair to plug this route - oh yes, this will mean a depart from the motto - to fly to secondary cities only...LOL

Its a no choice cannabalisation, otherwise, Jetstar will increase their frequency to take the landing rights.