• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

still wanna buy apple products?

Jlokta

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
yes bro , i heard all my friend said that too , all dont want to go back PC . one thing stop me from buying mac is because im lazy to learn how to operate apple .

Don't think thats an issue, a couple bottle of beeru at this place;

bincho.jpg

You'll be surfing SBF in no time. :biggrin:

drifter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
most welcome brother, i'll just bug you the next time i come to the land of the rising sun. :biggrin:

no worries bro , just pm me . a few brothers have already done that . im the walking lonely planet guide book .confirm you will enjoy your stay .

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yah check out the mac air if its for simple surfing and email. What email program you using? If its just yahoo, hotmail, gmail then its not a big deal. Not sure if they improved on converting outlook psd files yet but that was one of the hurdles when I switch a long time ago. It can be done. If you need something more then that I'll get a macbook pro. They are really nice machine.

no worries bro , just pm me . a few brothers have already done that . im the walking lonely planet guide book .confirm you will enjoy your stay .

drifter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Yah check out the mac air if its for simple surfing and email. What email program you using? If its just yahoo, hotmail, gmail then its not a big deal. Not sure if they improved on converting outlook psd files yet but that was one of the hurdles when I switch a long time ago. It can be done. If you need something more then that I'll get a macbook pro. They are really nice machine.

im using yahoo and hotmail .

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
yes bro , i heard all my friend said that too , all dont want to go back PC . one thing stop me from buying mac is because im lazy to learn how to operate apple .

I use both platforms Mac & Win & on the PC, I have to defrag & clean the registry on a regular basis. Mac OS have been described as being idiot proof but I think a more accurate term is user friendly. I'm waiting for the new Mac laptops & will have to learn to use the latest Mac OS, Lion, since I was using an older version called Panther.

On a Mac you can explore the features gradually. You can stick to the basics e.g. opening, closing, deleting etc without getting into problems & not have any problems. While on the PC you need to know more about maintenance like defragging, cleaning the registry & where to get these applications.

drifter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I use both platforms Mac & Win & on the PC, I have to defrag & clean the registry on a regular basis. Mac OS have been described as being idiot proof but I think a more accurate term is user friendly. I'm waiting for the new Mac laptops & will have to learn to use the latest Mac OS, Lion, since I was using an older version called Panther.

On a Mac you can explore the features gradually. You can stick to the basics e.g. opening, closing, deleting etc without getting into problems & not have any problems. While on the PC you need to know more about maintenance like defragging, cleaning the registry & where to get these applications.

bro, one thing i wanted to get mac beside the cool design its also because i heard from my friends that mac wont kenna virus . is it true ? bro you mean mac dont need to defragging, cleaning the registry ?

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
macs runs on OSX which is BSD based, in turn UNIX based. If you look through the history of UNIX you will know it has been around close to 40 years. IBM mainframes, HP-UX, SUN all run a variants of it. I'm talking about the big irons. As for virus, no, but there would still be vulnerabilities, which mac patches it up readily. In truth you don't need a virus scanner, just updates. All systems have vulnerabilities, its just with OSX it is better. At the end of the day, if you are still uncomfortable with it, install windows on top of it via bootcamp or fusions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix

bro, one thing i wanted to get mac beside the cool design its also because i heard from my friends that mac wont kenna virus . is it true ? bro you mean mac dont need to defragging, cleaning the registry ?

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

All the years I've used the Mac I've never installed an anti-virus program. The reason the Mac is likely to have fewer viruses is:

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000737.htm
Newer Macintosh operating systems, such as the Mac OS X, is built on the Unix kernel, which is one of the oldest and most secure operating systems available.
Microsoft Windows is used by a lot more people than the Apple Mac OS. Because more people use Microsoft Windows, it is a much better target than Apple computers.
Most of the computer virus writers are more familiar with the IBM platform and Microsoft Windows, which means its easier for them create a virus for that platform.
Many of the tools and scripts used to help users create viruses or other malware are designed for Microsoft Windows.

No OS is immune to viruses & if you are worried you can find anti-virus programs for the Mac. If you are a creator of viruses would you target the iPhones, the iPads, Mac OS or Windows:confused:

On a Mac you are less likely to have to defragment. The reasons for this is that the OS is better designed. For more details look here:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1375

I'm surprised that in Win 7 you still need to clean the registry since this problem doesn't exist on a Mac:eek: As PC people have pointed out why didn't Microsoft include the fix in the OS itself:confused:

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
I'm surprise defragging still needs to be done for win 7. I thought the reason for defragging was because of the way FAT32 handles files. I always assume that if you are using NTFS the problem goes away. As for unix/osx/mac, we have inodes. In fact, the system gets faster the more fragmented it is I believe.

All the years I've used the Mac I've never installed an anti-virus program. The reason the Mac is likely to have fewer viruses is:

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000737.htm
Newer Macintosh operating systems, such as the Mac OS X, is built on the Unix kernel, which is one of the oldest and most secure operating systems available.
Microsoft Windows is used by a lot more people than the Apple Mac OS. Because more people use Microsoft Windows, it is a much better target than Apple computers.
Most of the computer virus writers are more familiar with the IBM platform and Microsoft Windows, which means its easier for them create a virus for that platform.
Many of the tools and scripts used to help users create viruses or other malware are designed for Microsoft Windows.

No OS is immune to viruses & if you are worried you can find anti-virus programs for the Mac. If you are a creator of viruses would you target the iPhones, the iPads, Mac OS or Windows:confused:

On a Mac you are less likely to have to defragment. The reasons for this is that the OS is better designed. For more details look here:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1375

I'm surprised that in Win 7 you still need to clean the registry since this problem doesn't exist on a Mac:eek: As PC people have pointed out why didn't Microsoft include the fix in the OS itself:confused:

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset

There's nothing to learn. It'll take you less than an hour to adjust and that's about it.

Alamaking

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
MacAir is alost good enough for anything, they killing off 15" MBP (so MBP only have 17"), MBA upgrade to 15" soon

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I'm surprise defragging still needs to be done for win 7. I thought the reason for defragging was because of the way FAT32 handles files. I always assume that if you are using NTFS the problem goes away. As for unix/osx/mac, we have inodes. In fact, the system gets faster the more fragmented it is I believe.

The main reason for NTFS is to allow the OS to recognise up to 8 petabytes. Don't know why MS didn't take the oppurtunity to clean up their OS:confused: Could be to maintain backwards compatibility or just sloppy programming:wink: The difference with Apple is that they force the users to upgrade if you want to remain current. The reason I couldn't update to the latest OS was because I was using 10 year old hardware:smile:

I have been using an old Mac with only a 500GB drive so I haven't got much experience with how HFS+ behaves :(
One of the things I'm considering is to get an SSD drive when I get a new Mac. Fragmentation should not be an issue with an SSD. Have to wait & see what Apple will be releasing :wink:

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
Tiger/leopard should be the last OSX that supports ppc. You might want to take a look at them. I'm maintaining a sets of G5s here at work and they are still good machines to use. You can try looking at an imac, they come with SSD and Harddisc configurations. Youtube has several videos showing people upgrading the harddisc to SSD and the performance improvement from it.

The main reason for NTFS is to allow the OS to recognise up to 8 petabytes. Don't know why MS didn't take the oppurtunity to clean up their OS:confused: Could be to maintain backwards compatibility or just sloppy programming:wink: The difference with Apple is that they force the users to upgrade if you want to remain current. The reason I couldn't update to the latest OS was because I was using 10 year old hardware:smile:

I have been using an old Mac with only a 500GB drive so I haven't got much experience with how HFS+ behaves :(
One of the things I'm considering is to get an SSD drive when I get a new Mac. Fragmentation should not be an issue with an SSD. Have to wait & see what Apple will be releasing :wink:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Tiger/leopard should be the last OSX that supports ppc. You might want to take a look at them. I'm maintaining a sets of G5s here at work and they are still good machines to use. You can try looking at an imac, they come with SSD and Harddisc configurations. Youtube has several videos showing people upgrading the harddisc to SSD and the performance improvement from it.

Tried to get Tiger but it's now almost impossible to get this old OS. I'll ask one of the service providers because I still have an old Power Mac G4 which is in good condition.

Maybe the new machines will have an option for an SSD? That's why I haven't bought anything until I see what Apple is going to introduce.