• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Can Rent Car & Drive in USA with Singapore or Thai License?

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
1. First time driving on the other side of the road in 9 years (the last two times I came here I did not drive). I made a horrible mistake and caused many to panic when I turned left into oncoming cars. Anyway I know what's in their mind "fucking asians again". wahahahaha

2. Thanks rotikosong on the UK website. I'll go check it out later.

rotikosong

Alfrescian
Loyal
haha asian driving joke.

expedia site you must go to the UK site: co.uk
expedia is one of the big 3-4 online travel portals in the US

You go LV must try the $20 bribe. Here's how it works.
1) At check-in, pick someone young
2) fold a $20 note between your credit card and drivers license (you usually need to show both at check-in) but make it clearly visible
3) this is called a $20 "sandwich" but keep it in obvious sight i.e. hold it in your hand while resting hand on counter.
4) don't hand the sandwich over yet. Instead ask casually: "are there any complimentary room upgrades available?"
5) If they say yes, hand over the sandwich. If no, then don't include the $20

Well-known trick but you must be cool. But then go to LV, must always be cool, baby. Don't oogle too much at the topless swimming pools 'kay.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
haha asian driving joke.

expedia site you must go to the UK site: co.uk
expedia is one of the big 3-4 online travel portals in the US

You go LV must try the $20 bribe. Here's how it works.
1) At check-in, pick someone young
2) fold a $20 note between your credit card and drivers license (you usually need to show both at check-in) but make it clearly visible
3) this is called a $20 "sandwich" but keep it in obvious sight i.e. hold it in your hand while resting hand on counter.
4) don't hand the sandwich over yet. Instead ask casually: "are there any complimentary room upgrades available?"
5) If they say yes, hand over the sandwich. If no, then don't include the $20

Well-known trick but you must be cool. But then go to LV, must always be cool, baby. Don't oogle too much at the topless swimming pools 'kay.

Wow! Thanks buddy, you're the man alright!

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
Finally yesterday morning before I left for States I got someone to go get the international driving permit for me, just in case.

I just picked up my rental car a Nissan Maxima that just did below 3500 miles from Dollar Car Rental. Booked the car online. At Dollar (LA Airport) the queue was very long and process rather slow. Anyway after about 30 mins wait I went to register using only my Singapore Driving License. There was no question. Will be using it for 4 days returning on May/2 at Las Vegas Airport. We will be driving to Las Vegas tomorrow morning.

Total cost for the 4 days plus full insurance coverage and navigator rental is $518. I think this is a little too much to pay. The car rental is only like $120. The additional $400 is for taxes, navigator, insurance and top up fuel. When I return from Hawaii on May/6 I have to be more careful on car rental and the cost of insurance. I'll be using the car for 7 days the next time. I think I better shop around. You see most of the time they tell you the car rental rate only and not the insurance like in Dollar case when I booked it online they just say check insurance over the counter so its not fair. I will look at others the next time.

Maybe you paid more becos you registered at airport..I remember that time the car rental at Vancouver airport got extra 20 percent surcharge for the whole rental period, so we went to return the car the next day in Vancouver town and swop for another car at cheaper rate..btw you can try Budget Car rental, remember their rate was the best then (about 10 years ago)..

rotikosong

Alfrescian
Loyal
If you want to catch a show at LV (there are at least 5-6 different Cirque shows, Blue Man, David Copperfield, Celine Dion etc), I'd recommend that you look at a discount ticket broker. Buying tickets from the show's box office will guarantee you get chopped. Some below are online and some have ticket booths on the Strip.

Travel Zoo
Tix4Tonight
VegasTix4Less
MyCheapLasVegas

The one thing true about the US is prices for anything vary widely.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
enjoy lv.

when you're up in san jose next weekend, check out santana row. cocola is my favorite cafe there. great coffee and beautiful pastries. not far away on bascom and naglee (block of naglee, dana, emory and garden) is the san jose heritage rose garden. if your wife likes roses, they are blooming now, and there are over a thousand bushes of various colors, hues and scents in this garden. it is the most well kept secret in sj.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
enjoy lv.

when you're up in san jose next weekend, check out santana row. cocola is my favorite cafe there. great coffee and beautiful pastries. not far away on bascom and naglee (block of naglee, dana, emory and garden) is the san jose heritage rose garden. if your wife likes roses, they are blooming now, and there are over a thousand bushes of various colors, hues and scents in this garden. it is the most well kept secret in sj.

Thanks again for this it will be in our itinerary.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
I'll let you in on a travel secret: book through a UK site - you sometimes get great rates that come with insurance
For the dates you want: booking through expedia.co.uk

Thanks to you rotikosong, you helped me saved US$664 - $983 compare to $319 (197 pound)

my booking through your recommendation at expedia UK
Screen1.jpg

What I need to pay if I go direct
Screen2.jpg

Thank you thank you thank you