• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Can Rent Car & Drive in USA with Singapore or Thai License?

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Just realized that my international driving permit had expired. Tomorrow leaving for US.

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Singapore license accepted in US. Certain state no need get approval. But certain state need u to take a simple test.
Please check with car rental tell them where are the location u want to drive thru.
Best still take the test.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Used to renew my international driving permit at AAS Leng Kee in the past while working for American company. Forgot to do it ever since I got my Thai license 4 years ago.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
most rental car companies will require you to have the driver's license with an international driving permit (idp). california does not recognize the idp as a legit driver's license. it only translates information on your driver's license to english so law enforcement in california can read and understand the info. california by rule recognizes your driver's license of the country you reside in. if you have not resided in sg for over 6 months and intend to use the sg license, you may have an issue. but if the rental car allows you to rent and drive, don't get into trouble with chp and city traffic cops. they don't fully understand the rules when it comes to driver's license from overseas that is not accompanied with an idp. it's better to get the accompanying document to avoid trouble. it's only 500 baht at the thai office.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
most rental car companies will require you to have the driver's license with an international driving permit (idp). california does not recognize the idp as a legit driver's license. it only translates information on your driver's license to english so law enforcement in california can read and understand the info. california by rule recognizes your driver's license of the country you reside in. if you have not resided in sg for over 6 months and intend to use the sg license, you may have an issue. but if the rental car allows you to rent and drive, don't get into trouble with chp and city traffic cops. they don't fully understand the rules when it comes to driver's license from overseas that is not accompanied with an idp. it's better to get the accompanying document to avoid trouble. it's only 500 baht at the thai office.

Very clear buddy. I will squeeze some time to obtain one just in case.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Finally yesterday morning before I left for States I got someone to go get the international driving permit for me, just in case.

I just picked up my rental car a Nissan Maxima that just did below 3500 miles from Dollar Car Rental. Booked the car online. At Dollar (LA Airport) the queue was very long and process rather slow. Anyway after about 30 mins wait I went to register using only my Singapore Driving License. There was no question. Will be using it for 4 days returning on May/2 at Las Vegas Airport. We will be driving to Las Vegas tomorrow morning.

Total cost for the 4 days plus full insurance coverage and navigator rental is $518. I think this is a little too much to pay. The car rental is only like $120. The additional $400 is for taxes, navigator, insurance and top up fuel. When I return from Hawaii on May/6 I have to be more careful on car rental and the cost of insurance. I'll be using the car for 7 days the next time. I think I better shop around. You see most of the time they tell you the car rental rate only and not the insurance like in Dollar case when I booked it online they just say check insurance over the counter so its not fair. I will look at others the next time.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
every rental shop will try to upsell by tagging extra insurance and other features. the published rental rate is low to lure you. if your credit card has loss and damage waiver covered, you can skip that. however, for most foreign visitors to california, it's better and safer to have full insurance coverage over and above basic ldw. too many crazy drivers here, and lawyers can sue the shit out of you even if it is not your fault. there's also liability exposure if you drive out of state to nevada or arizona. enterprise is my choice when i travel within the u.s.

rotikosong

Alfrescian
Loyal
Your rates might have been more expensive since you are doing a different city dropoff. There is usually a fee for that and also you should make sure if there is a restriction on the number of miles before they start charging you for overages in miles.

PM me your dates and I will check for you. You might not need a GPS in the car since you have your iphone. try out waze side by side your rented GPS - you'll be amazed how accurate it is. Almost all the car rental agencies allow you to bypass the counter these days.

In the US, even if you have made a prior reservation for car, you can just not turn up - they won't charge your card. So even if you've made reservations for Hawaii or your next leg in the US - walk away if you find a better rate.

Oh btw I did tell you the IDP boh pakai in the US - nobody cares.

Last edited:

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Your rates might have been more expensive since you are doing a different city dropoff. There is usually a fee for that and also you should make sure if there is a restriction on the number of miles before they start charging you for overages in miles.

PM me your dates and I will check for you. You might not need a GPS in the car since you have your iphone. try out waze side by side your rented GPS - you'll be amazed how accurate it is. Almost all the car rental agencies allow you to bypass the counter these days.

In the US, even if you have made a prior reservation for car, you can just not turn up - they won't charge your card. So even if you've made reservations for Hawaii or your next leg in the US - walk away if you find a better rate.

Oh btw I did tell you the IDP boh pakai in the US - nobody cares.

Next leg here will be arriving in SFO on May/6 (10pm) and returning the car in LAX on May/13 (11am). You are right about walking away from booking because when you book online they do not require customer to leave credit card number, just name and mobile.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
rotikosong has all the good advice. and if they give you a free upgrade on the car type, grab it. stay away from compacts and sub compacts.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
rotikosong has all the good advice. and if they give you a free upgrade on the car type, grab it. stay away from compacts and sub compacts.

Hate conpacts everywhere. And also we've got 4 bags so a larger car will be better.

rotikosong

Alfrescian
Loyal
Next leg here will be arriving in SFO on May/6 (10pm) and returning the car in LAX on May/13 (11am). You are right about walking away from booking because when you book online they do not require customer to leave credit card number, just name and mobile.

I'll let you in on a travel secret: book through a UK site - you sometimes get great rates that come with insurance
For the dates you want: booking through expedia.co.uk
full size car (e.g. camry)
hertz
152.62GBP/248.24USD
If you want a luxe car (Cadillac/Jag/Merc) £199.58

If you had booked through expedia like above pickup 4/29 Sun for 4 days LAX-LAS one-way
£106.92=174 USD with insurance

In comparison, booking through US sites with discounts for your 7-day SFO-LAX rental
enterprise.com
Toyota corolla class i.e. intermediate size, but you get a free upgrade to next class
use costco coupon code: CSTGSU9
and costco member id: 814949642999
219.35 USD
no insurance

alamo.com
camry-class i.e. full size
using costco code. ID=7014627; Coupon Code=AF4499SDY
242 no insurance
359.99 full CDW insurance
GPS 69.65 extra

Last edited:

Forvendet

Alfrescian
Loyal
When I first arrived at my US campus dorm more than a decade ago, I bought a local newspaper to have a feel of the local community. The car ad section was an eye opener. Big ad for showroom brandnew Honda Accord, US$15,000. Small classifieds for used cars, I saw one Toyota Celica, US$900.

I asked around the campus, can a foreigner buy and drive a car in US. They said sure. Just go to a police and pass a test to get a license. Sure enough, I went to a police station and was given a test paper instaneously, no need booking or appointment. Eyesight test, 50 MCQs like kindergarten basic theory. After done, the Sgt. glanced over it and said OK, passed, just like that. Now to the carpark. Drive an unmarked car from the carpark a few rounds aound the carpark and park it back safely. That's it. Police fee about US$20. The Sgt. gave me a slip and told me to go to DMV to apply for license. License fee about US$10 for 5 years validity.

After I got the license, I called the number on the ad and went on to buy the Celica. The seller was a nice honest farmer. He said the car should be alright for many more years but don't attempt long distance interstate travels with it. Fair enough, as Singaporeans, where the hell else could we buy a car at US$900?

Last edited:

hotbot

Alfrescian
Loyal
i drove a pontiac from ace rental years ago. that was in chicago. i only showed them my singapore driving licence and that's it!:smile:

Just realized that my international driving permit had expired. Tomorrow leaving for US.

rotikosong

Alfrescian
Loyal
joetys - not sure if you've already booked your LAS hotels but Bally's has a deal - $200 for 5 nights - you can spread your nights out so you can book 4 nights and another later (that you won't use).
If you have already booked hotels, in many cases, if not pre-paid, you can cancel them before 3pm on day of arrival

Ballys: 1-866-635-7122 and mention code PBBRN

http://img.ed4.net/harrahs/2012/L...NEW_03.jpg

Go to LV must go see a Cirque Du Soleil show - I've seen Ka at MGM but there are several: O, Mystere, Zumanity (this one got boobs and nudity!) etc

roadster

Alfrescian
Loyal
I had driven in California many times for work and holidays, all with rental cars on Singapore driving license. Never had an International driving license and never encounter any problem at all, unless there is a change of rules within last 2 years.

My personal experience, pay a bit more if need be and go with a reputable company. Reason is I once had a flat tyre in the middle of a highway in California dead in the night in winter!! I called the help line, giving them roughly where I am in terms of exit number, with my family (new to US) in the car in the dark of winter (no street lights along stretch of highway!) and cars zooming all around us! Help came within 15-20 minutes, which is VERY fast for a huge country and I stuck in the middle of a highway! No question asked, changed the tyres and we on our way again in no time!

Not saying cheap coys don't provide such response, but why take risk in a foreign country if price difference is still acceptable for the comfort of mind?

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
joetys - not sure if you've already booked your LAS hotels but Bally's has a deal - $200 for 5 nights - you can spread your nights out so you can book 4 nights and another later (that you won't use).
If you have already booked hotels, in many cases, if not pre-paid, you can cancel them before 3pm on day of arrival

Ballys: 1-866-635-7122 and mention code PBBRN

http://img.ed4.net/harrahs/2012/L...NEW_03.jpg

Go to LV must go see a Cirque Du Soleil show - I've seen Ka at MGM but there are several: O, Mystere, Zumanity (this one got boobs and nudity!) etc

Thanks buddy, too bad. Booked Flamingo. Ya Cirque I've seen it in Singapore about 10years ago. But I would like to see it here. Thanks.