SG Live Bet
SG Tipster
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 32

Thread: Can Rent Car & Drive in USA with Singapore or Thai License?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    13,985
    My Reputation Points: 19380 / Power: 45

    Default Can Rent Car & Drive in USA with Singapore or Thai License?

    Just realized that my international driving permit had expired. Tomorrow leaving for US.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    9,689
    My Reputation Points: 1859 / Power: 10

    Default Re: Can Rent Car & Drive in USA with Singapore or Thai License?

    Singapore license accepted in US. Certain state no need get approval. But certain state need u to take a simple test.
    Please check with car rental tell them where are the location u want to drive thru.
    Best still take the test.
    Save the Earth

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Somewhere... somewhere lah!!
    Posts
    19,721
    My Reputation Points: 6656 / Power: 20

    Default Re: Can Rent Car & Drive in USA with Singapore or Thai License?

    Quote Originally Posted by joetys View Post
    Just realized that my international driving permit had expired. Tomorrow leaving for US.
    Your maid license expired? if not, bring her there lah
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    BusNo64 is a cheapskate low baller
    This is how you sum up Drifter, see here, hahaha
    FishyPie - Moron of the Decade, and a SPH dog

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    7,491
    My Reputation Points: 1913 / Power: 7

    Default Re: Can Rent Car & Drive in USA with Singapore or Thai License?

    TCSS lumber 1 noted

    You cannot tell person to be vegan and he will be one..it must comes from the person himslef through understanding and acknowledgment
    : one testicle tonychat : 26 Sep 13, 12:51 AM


    A wise man once said _
    "The amount of hogwash that appears in this forum has to be seen to be believed.
    When a sentence starts with " As for the PAP they are doing their best _ ", you can rest assured that some fairyland crap will follow."

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    3,521
    My Reputation Points: 1349 / Power: 6

    Default Re: Can Rent Car & Drive in USA with Singapore or Thai License?

    Quote Originally Posted by joetys View Post
    Just realized that my international driving permit had expired. Tomorrow leaving for US.
    No problem unless rules have changed..last time i rented before, drove from Canada to LA using Spore licence only..

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    13,985
    My Reputation Points: 19380 / Power: 45

    Default Re: Can Rent Car & Drive in USA with Singapore or Thai License?

    Used to renew my international driving permit at AAS Leng Kee in the past while working for American company. Forgot to do it ever since I got my Thai license 4 years ago.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    10,799
    My Reputation Points: 3539 / Power: 15

    Default Re: Can Rent Car & Drive in USA with Singapore or Thai License?

    most rental car companies will require you to have the driver's license with an international driving permit (idp). california does not recognize the idp as a legit driver's license. it only translates information on your driver's license to english so law enforcement in california can read and understand the info. california by rule recognizes your driver's license of the country you reside in. if you have not resided in sg for over 6 months and intend to use the sg license, you may have an issue. but if the rental car allows you to rent and drive, don't get into trouble with chp and city traffic cops. they don't fully understand the rules when it comes to driver's license from overseas that is not accompanied with an idp. it's better to get the accompanying document to avoid trouble. it's only 500 baht at the thai office.
    please be polite and gracious to one another on sbf as the campaign for politeness and good manners has just begun.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    13,985
    My Reputation Points: 19380 / Power: 45

    Default Re: Can Rent Car & Drive in USA with Singapore or Thai License?

    Quote Originally Posted by eatshitndie View Post
    most rental car companies will require you to have the driver's license with an international driving permit (idp). california does not recognize the idp as a legit driver's license. it only translates information on your driver's license to english so law enforcement in california can read and understand the info. california by rule recognizes your driver's license of the country you reside in. if you have not resided in sg for over 6 months and intend to use the sg license, you may have an issue. but if the rental car allows you to rent and drive, don't get into trouble with chp and city traffic cops. they don't fully understand the rules when it comes to driver's license from overseas that is not accompanied with an idp. it's better to get the accompanying document to avoid trouble. it's only 500 baht at the thai office.
    Very clear buddy. I will squeeze some time to obtain one just in case.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    13,985
    My Reputation Points: 19380 / Power: 45

    Default Re: Can Rent Car & Drive in USA with Singapore or Thai License?

    Finally yesterday morning before I left for States I got someone to go get the international driving permit for me, just in case.

    I just picked up my rental car a Nissan Maxima that just did below 3500 miles from Dollar Car Rental. Booked the car online. At Dollar (LA Airport) the queue was very long and process rather slow. Anyway after about 30 mins wait I went to register using only my Singapore Driving License. There was no question. Will be using it for 4 days returning on May/2 at Las Vegas Airport. We will be driving to Las Vegas tomorrow morning.

    Total cost for the 4 days plus full insurance coverage and navigator rental is $518. I think this is a little too much to pay. The car rental is only like $120. The additional $400 is for taxes, navigator, insurance and top up fuel. When I return from Hawaii on May/6 I have to be more careful on car rental and the cost of insurance. I'll be using the car for 7 days the next time. I think I better shop around. You see most of the time they tell you the car rental rate only and not the insurance like in Dollar case when I booked it online they just say check insurance over the counter so its not fair. I will look at others the next time.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    10,799
    My Reputation Points: 3539 / Power: 15

    Default Re: Can Rent Car & Drive in USA with Singapore or Thai License?

    every rental shop will try to upsell by tagging extra insurance and other features. the published rental rate is low to lure you. if your credit card has loss and damage waiver covered, you can skip that. however, for most foreign visitors to california, it's better and safer to have full insurance coverage over and above basic ldw. too many crazy drivers here, and lawyers can sue the shit out of you even if it is not your fault. there's also liability exposure if you drive out of state to nevada or arizona. enterprise is my choice when i travel within the u.s.
    please be polite and gracious to one another on sbf as the campaign for politeness and good manners has just begun.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    388
    My Reputation Points: 367 / Power: 5

    Default Re: Can Rent Car & Drive in USA with Singapore or Thai License?

    Your rates might have been more expensive since you are doing a different city dropoff. There is usually a fee for that and also you should make sure if there is a restriction on the number of miles before they start charging you for overages in miles.

    PM me your dates and I will check for you. You might not need a GPS in the car since you have your iphone. try out waze side by side your rented GPS - you'll be amazed how accurate it is. Almost all the car rental agencies allow you to bypass the counter these days.

    In the US, even if you have made a prior reservation for car, you can just not turn up - they won't charge your card. So even if you've made reservations for Hawaii or your next leg in the US - walk away if you find a better rate.

    Oh btw I did tell you the IDP boh pakai in the US - nobody cares.
    Last edited by rotikosong; 28-04-2012 at 09:35 PM.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    13,985
    My Reputation Points: 19380 / Power: 45

    Default Re: Can Rent Car & Drive in USA with Singapore or Thai License?

    Quote Originally Posted by rotikosong View Post
    Your rates might have been more expensive since you are doing a different city dropoff. There is usually a fee for that and also you should make sure if there is a restriction on the number of miles before they start charging you for overages in miles.

    PM me your dates and I will check for you. You might not need a GPS in the car since you have your iphone. try out waze side by side your rented GPS - you'll be amazed how accurate it is. Almost all the car rental agencies allow you to bypass the counter these days.

    In the US, even if you have made a prior reservation for car, you can just not turn up - they won't charge your card. So even if you've made reservations for Hawaii or your next leg in the US - walk away if you find a better rate.

    Oh btw I did tell you the IDP boh pakai in the US - nobody cares.
    Next leg here will be arriving in SFO on May/6 (10pm) and returning the car in LAX on May/13 (11am). You are right about walking away from booking because when you book online they do not require customer to leave credit card number, just name and mobile.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    10,799
    My Reputation Points: 3539 / Power: 15

    Default Re: Can Rent Car & Drive in USA with Singapore or Thai License?

    rotikosong has all the good advice. and if they give you a free upgrade on the car type, grab it. stay away from compacts and sub compacts.
    please be polite and gracious to one another on sbf as the campaign for politeness and good manners has just begun.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    13,985
    My Reputation Points: 19380 / Power: 45

    Default Re: Can Rent Car & Drive in USA with Singapore or Thai License?

    Quote Originally Posted by eatshitndie View Post
    rotikosong has all the good advice. and if they give you a free upgrade on the car type, grab it. stay away from compacts and sub compacts.
    Hate conpacts everywhere. And also we've got 4 bags so a larger car will be better.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    388
    My Reputation Points: 367 / Power: 5

    Default Re: Can Rent Car & Drive in USA with Singapore or Thai License?

    Quote Originally Posted by joetys View Post
    Next leg here will be arriving in SFO on May/6 (10pm) and returning the car in LAX on May/13 (11am). You are right about walking away from booking because when you book online they do not require customer to leave credit card number, just name and mobile.
    I'll let you in on a travel secret: book through a UK site - you sometimes get great rates that come with insurance
    For the dates you want: booking through expedia.co.uk
    full size car (e.g. camry)
    hertz
    152.62GBP/248.24USD
    If you want a luxe car (Cadillac/Jag/Merc) £199.58

    If you had booked through expedia like above pickup 4/29 Sun for 4 days LAX-LAS one-way
    £106.92=174 USD with insurance

    In comparison, booking through US sites with discounts for your 7-day SFO-LAX rental
    enterprise.com
    Toyota corolla class i.e. intermediate size, but you get a free upgrade to next class
    use costco coupon code: CSTGSU9
    and costco member id: 814949642999
    219.35 USD
    no insurance

    alamo.com
    camry-class i.e. full size
    using costco code. ID=7014627; Coupon Code=AF4499SDY
    242 no insurance
    359.99 full CDW insurance
    GPS 69.65 extra
    Last edited by rotikosong; 28-04-2012 at 11:59 PM.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Concrete Jungle
    Posts
    3,435
    My Reputation Points: 222 / Power: 4

    Default Re: Can Rent Car & Drive in USA with Singapore or Thai License?

    When I first arrived at my US campus dorm more than a decade ago, I bought a local newspaper to have a feel of the local community. The car ad section was an eye opener. Big ad for showroom brandnew Honda Accord, US$15,000. Small classifieds for used cars, I saw one Toyota Celica, US$900.

    I asked around the campus, can a foreigner buy and drive a car in US. They said sure. Just go to a police and pass a test to get a license. Sure enough, I went to a police station and was given a test paper instaneously, no need booking or appointment. Eyesight test, 50 MCQs like kindergarten basic theory. After done, the Sgt. glanced over it and said OK, passed, just like that. Now to the carpark. Drive an unmarked car from the carpark a few rounds aound the carpark and park it back safely. That's it. Police fee about US$20. The Sgt. gave me a slip and told me to go to DMV to apply for license. License fee about US$10 for 5 years validity.

    After I got the license, I called the number on the ad and went on to buy the Celica. The seller was a nice honest farmer. He said the car should be alright for many more years but don't attempt long distance interstate travels with it. Fair enough, as Singaporeans, where the hell else could we buy a car at US$900?
    Last edited by Forvendet; 29-04-2012 at 12:44 AM.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    2,542
    My Reputation Points: 417 / Power: 6

    Default Re: Can Rent Car & Drive in USA with Singapore or Thai License?

    i drove a pontiac from ace rental years ago. that was in chicago. i only showed them my singapore driving licence and that's it!


    Quote Originally Posted by joetys View Post
    Just realized that my international driving permit had expired. Tomorrow leaving for US.
    人生不过三万天,
    成功失败均坦然,
    是非恩怨莫在意,
    健康快乐最值钱。

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    388
    My Reputation Points: 367 / Power: 5

    Default Re: Can Rent Car & Drive in USA with Singapore or Thai License?

    joetys - not sure if you've already booked your LAS hotels but Bally's has a deal - $200 for 5 nights - you can spread your nights out so you can book 4 nights and another later (that you won't use).
    If you have already booked hotels, in many cases, if not pre-paid, you can cancel them before 3pm on day of arrival

    Ballys: 1-866-635-7122 and mention code PBBRN

    http://img.ed4.net/harrahs/2012/L...NEW_03.jpg

    Go to LV must go see a Cirque Du Soleil show - I've seen Ka at MGM but there are several: O, Mystere, Zumanity (this one got boobs and nudity!) etc

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    14
    My Reputation Points: 16 / Power: 0

    Default Re: Can Rent Car & Drive in USA with Singapore or Thai License?

    I had driven in California many times for work and holidays, all with rental cars on Singapore driving license. Never had an International driving license and never encounter any problem at all, unless there is a change of rules within last 2 years.

    My personal experience, pay a bit more if need be and go with a reputable company. Reason is I once had a flat tyre in the middle of a highway in California dead in the night in winter!! I called the help line, giving them roughly where I am in terms of exit number, with my family (new to US) in the car in the dark of winter (no street lights along stretch of highway!) and cars zooming all around us! Help came within 15-20 minutes, which is VERY fast for a huge country and I stuck in the middle of a highway! No question asked, changed the tyres and we on our way again in no time!

    Not saying cheap coys don't provide such response, but why take risk in a foreign country if price difference is still acceptable for the comfort of mind?

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    13,985
    My Reputation Points: 19380 / Power: 45

    Default Re: Can Rent Car & Drive in USA with Singapore or Thai License?

    Quote Originally Posted by rotikosong View Post
    joetys - not sure if you've already booked your LAS hotels but Bally's has a deal - $200 for 5 nights - you can spread your nights out so you can book 4 nights and another later (that you won't use).
    If you have already booked hotels, in many cases, if not pre-paid, you can cancel them before 3pm on day of arrival

    Ballys: 1-866-635-7122 and mention code PBBRN

    http://img.ed4.net/harrahs/2012/L...NEW_03.jpg

    Go to LV must go see a Cirque Du Soleil show - I've seen Ka at MGM but there are several: O, Mystere, Zumanity (this one got boobs and nudity!) etc
    Thanks buddy, too bad. Booked Flamingo. Ya Cirque I've seen it in Singapore about 10years ago. But I would like to see it here. Thanks.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Most economical car to drive between JB and Singapore
    By LGLab in forum A Singaporean's guide to Living In JB
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: 21-04-2012, 12:32 AM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-10-2011, 04:15 PM
  3. comfort Merc Taxi employs thai to drive it
    By golden in forum The Courtyard Café
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 29-12-2009, 02:41 AM
  4. Rejoicement! More high quality FTs to drive Singapore's economy!
    By DIVISION1 in forum The Courtyard Café
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 22-11-2008, 04:34 PM
  5. Thai amulets-Pls share yr knowledge on Thai Monks and Thai Amulet
    By cognacrex in forum Gambling/Sports/Games/Hobbies
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 14-08-2008, 12:25 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •