• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Olympus OM-D E-M5 retro (best mirrorless camera of 2012)

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Alamaking said:
Dun say lens not important, you will cry when you shoot at night with your that lens. I have a few lenses, but I always bring 20mm and 9-18mm along. You get 25 and 45mm lah, my dream lenses, LOL

Just remember to remove your filter if you have one.

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Leongsam said:
I've been checking out the AF. It works very well... better than my $35,000 camera.

That at least retain my respect for your $35,000 camera. Olympus often acts as an amateur-pro second camera for the pro. I have some reservation on the four thirds sensor though for low light situations. For compactness it is perfect.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
That at least retain my respect for your $35,000 camera. Olympus often acts as an amateur-pro second camera for the pro. I have some reservation on the four thirds sensor though for low light situations. For compactness it is perfect.

OK here's first impressions... great for convenience... very good AF... kit lens is crap.. good for covert snaps..

Image 1.

Colour Fringing! :(

OlympusP4280048.jpeg

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
With a zoom that ranges from mid-wide to portrait, how not to have barrel?

I'm spoilt by my Nikon wide angle Zoom. :o Zero barrel distortion at 14mm.

I've got this one...

CIi6EGbFA0AOOPbUXyxYxSGV_5LNU48CR4bsccUmwFppL6c56Mp5vA6HKF0biupv06wVBCR9srL9O0NEWGNZVadkEuErkldj3JiBjbH63zDouZdkqPRXlD8WNPfI5SdQZZ96VFbLeAEA6p07u8pOijJu6lw8tREjs4FjtREG2B8hr_zXVhVJ57WVhIXw1w7cmauzxvk
[h=1]Nikon Zoom-Nikkor Wide-angle zoom lens - 14 mm - 24 mm - F/2.8 - Nikon F[/h]
$1,749 online
772 reviews
<iframe allowtransparency="true" frameborder="0" hspace="0" id="I1_1335593345674" marginheight="0" margin="" style="width: 0px" name="I1_1335593345674" scrolling="no" src="https://plusone.google.com/u/0/_/+1/fastbutton?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2Fproducts%2Fcatalog%3Fhl%3Den%26cid%3D6951730973873857713&size=medium&count=true&width=450&source=shopping%3Aproductpage&annotation=inline&hl=en&jsh=m%3B%2F_%2Fapps-static%2F_%2Fjs%2Fwidget%2F__features__%2Frt%3Dj%2Fver%3DSvSTGk8PZnM.en.%2Fsv%3D1%2Fam%3D!K2t8zmDaIyaNjPbXTQ%2Fd%3D1%2F#id=I1_1335593345674&parent=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&rpctoken=820908255&_methods=onPlusOne%2C_ready%2C_close%2C_open%2C_resizeMe%2C_renderstart" tabindex="-1" vspace="0" width="100%" title="+1"></iframe>

#2 in Wide Angle Nikon Camera Lenses
December 2007 - Wide Angle - Nikon - Zoom - Nikon F - Autofocus - f/2.8 - Ultrasonic Motor - Aspherical
Fast, ultra wide-angle AF-S zoom lens optimized for edge-to-edge sharpness on both the Nikon FX and DX format image sensors Enhanced optical formulas, engineered to produce exceptional sharpness, contrast and color, rendering outstanding image integrity Two ED (extra-low dispersion) elements and PGM aspherical lenses control chromatic aberrations, while enhancing sharpness and contrast, even at the widest aperture settings Exclusive Nano Crystal Coat further reduces ghosting and flare for even greater image clarity Nikon's Silent Wave Motor (SWM) enables ultra high-speed autofocusing with exceptional accuracy and powerful, super-quiet… more »
<form method="GET" action="http://www.google.com/shoppinglist" id="addToWishList0" style="padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; ">Add to Shopping List</form>

Browse Camera Lenses »

<tbody>
</tbody>

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
lR8KCjsNpNHESItH9UKzzlmCxoM2s5QF7gO9dyXk2ggL7CEHyHQECJeAIs7CHPP925OXFwX5uZjPz5fKBBhk6qdcJlMRsNvKXWu0ZaTPdrCAdNzys2AwByAKXg9-ErY

Novoflex MFT/NIK Lens adapter Nikon F - Micro Four Thirds mount

US$260

The model MFT/NIK is equipped with an integrated aperture control ring and can also be used with lenses that do not come with manual aperture control ring anymore.

perfect for nightshot of city with a stabilised 14-24mm

Last edited:

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Leongsam said:
I'm spoilt by my Nikon wide angle Zoom. :o Zero barrel distortion at 14mm.

I believe you use your Nikon for full-frame which means everything is in wide-angle and the lens is also designed for wide-angle. With your Olympus, it is wide to long. Difficult to compare even if you discount other image quality. You probably have to operate your Olympus at a narrower zoom range to minimise geometric distortion and to stop down to reduce flare and chromatic distortion, further reducing its high ISO's capability.

With a APS-C camera, even if it is the compact mirror-less variety, you could at least make use of your valuable lens collection, albeit made to work at a longer focal range. I forgot Nikon's mirror-less is a 1" sensor system but there are adapter-rings to take in J-mount lenses. For non-Nikon mirror-less, maybe there are also adapter rings. I know Canon has it but Canon does not make mirror-less as yet.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Difficult to compare even if you discount other image quality. You probably have to operate your Olympus at a narrower zoom range to minimise geometric distortion and to stop down to reduce flare and chromatic distortion, further reducing its high ISO's capability.

if the $1500 Olympus was a good as my Nikon, I'd be very upset. It would mean my $2000 lens and $7000 body was a big waste of money. :p

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You probably have to operate your Olympus at a narrower zoom range to minimise geometric distortion and to stop down to reduce flare and chromatic distortion, further reducing its high ISO's capability.

you probably know nothing about micro 4/3, micro 4/3 lenses have high distortion, but uses lenses software to correct for the distortion when taking jpg, operate at narrower zoom range does not affect geometric distortion. It's all corrected by software.

Alamaking

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I think OM-D is similar to E-P2, what is your problem with E-P2, useful for me to choose the right camera, but OM-D have everything i need, except 5d2 IQ.

Terrible AF, low res screen, other than that, it's perfect, E-P3 fixed all the problem, thumbwheel is a must for me :biggrin:, I hate pressing buttons.

Ah Leong, you can use your Nikon as a paper weight, I can assure you that you'll take OM-D out for often than your Nikon :biggrin:

Alamaking

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
lR8KCjsNpNHESItH9UKzzlmCxoM2s5QF7gO9dyXk2ggL7CEHyHQECJeAIs7CHPP925OXFwX5uZjPz5fKBBhk6qdcJlMRsNvKXWu0ZaTPdrCAdNzys2AwByAKXg9-ErY

Novoflex MFT/NIK Lens adapter Nikon F - Micro Four Thirds mount

US$260

The model MFT/NIK is equipped with an integrated aperture control ring and can also be used with lenses that do not come with manual aperture control ring anymore.

perfect for nightshot of city with a stabilised 14-24mm
No point getting adapter lah, manual lens sucks unless you shoot still shots, if not forget it.

I have 2 manual lens, 1 is Pentax 25mm f1.4 and a takumar 50mm f1.4, 1 for food shot, 1 for portrait.