• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

To all Ah Hias ; can help to contribute our oLd street names in Dialect here ?..

Fishypie

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
My wish is to compiLe a List of them; so that i can make them into a side-topic of discussion whenever i am at gatherings with foLks or friends or even kids ; reLiving part of our interesting history with them; and i thought knowing street names' in DiaLects is reaL cooL !
Older taxi drivers are the best bet to begin with; i have spoken to many over the years and some
answers on the origins of these names can be quite amazing..
i was brought up in Or Keo tau ; crossed over to Si Ka Teng ; upgraded to Ho Chwee Sua ; moved
to Siong Lim Pang Long with my then gf; where we do marketings at Ang Sa Li ..sounds intriguing right ?. . hope ah hias' here can contribute to this little project of mine in compiling them ~..
Kum siah kok wee ae chi chee !
:smile:
:biggrin:

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
tua por, suey por, por duey, ang teng beh tao

Last edited:

Fishypie

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Hope ah Hias here reply with corresponding street names in (english ) if you can..
Much appreciated !

Raiders

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Serangoon si bo ?

Hi, if you could, can you compile everything nicely after the brothers here contributed? It will be beneficial for a lot of us. I personally have an interest in these old street names also. Thanks :smile:

Baimi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Mang Gar Ka ~ Bendeemer Road
Kin Jio Ka ~ Pertain Road
Gor Jang Chiu Ka ~ Padang
Kek Sng Kio ~ Sungei Road
Liao Ah Kua ~ Arab Street
Si Pai Po ~ SGH
Ong Kei Sua Teng ~ Fort Canning

Tio Bo?

Fishypie

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Mang Gar Ka ~ Bendeemer Road
Kin Jio Ka ~ Pertain Road
Gor Jang Chiu Ka ~ Padang
Kek Sng Kio ~ Sungei Road
Liao Ah Kua ~ Arab Street
Si Pai Po ~ SGH
Ong Kei Sua Teng ~ Fort Canning

Tio Bo?

Nice One dude ; More More PLs !
Ohh; and i rem Bo Bay Kang ( Bukit Pasoh? ) Now ~..

Microsoft

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
水车街,死人街, 弯仔尾,山仔顶,海山街...moi oso mix up where ish where...aga all near Chinatown...:biggrin:

Conqueror

Alfrescian
Loyal
I Live Near There

4261023575_42909c0f42_z.jpg

Lam po Ley ( Queenstown ) ?

I live near Queenstown area. If I'm not wrong, Zhup Luck Low or 16 storeys, opposite Ridout Tea Garden McDonald.

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: I Live Near There

You are correct. That is zhap luck lao. Opposite zhap luck lao is zhap lao (10 storey).

What about gor zhoh beh (jalan besar) and heh sia (beach road)?