• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

General Help

quartz28

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Which gps should I buy?

Hi...

I am using Garmin.

But i have also downloaded NAVFone on iphone...no data charges when using in m'sia...but map adequacy for M'sia can be better...

thus end of day...i'm still relying on my very old Garmin.

avelc

Alfrescian
Loyal

Hi quartz,
For Navphone on iphone, how do you ensure there is no data charge in Msia? Turn off cellular data?

Hi...

I am using Garmin.

But i have also downloaded NAVFone on iphone...no data charges when using in m'sia...but map adequacy for M'sia can be better...

quartz28

Alfrescian
Loyal

Hi quartz,
For Navphone on iphone, how do you ensure there is no data charge in Msia? Turn off cellular data?

Hmm....don't recall I turn off cellular data as typically I don't change any setting when I cross border..so far I did not have unforeseen data charges...u encounter charges before?

avelc

Alfrescian
Loyal

Hmm....don't recall I turn off cellular data as typically I don't change any setting when I cross border..so far I did not have unforeseen data charges...u encounter charges before?

Will know after my trip this weekend and when mobile bill arrives :P

Assume u mean using SG simcard with roaming...

Arowana88

Alfrescian
Loyal

How about those funny names, eg... Holux, papa something, shinco....?

But those no brand ones got bigger screens and some got mp3... How?? Garmin heard quite ex?

crystal_tiong

Alfrescian
Loyal

I used to think Garmin is the best so i bought 1 last yr ....
Now its always hanged and navigate half way during the journey ! Feels like throwing the device away!!!
And although i have updated the maps for few times , until now , they still dun have msia new custom in the map!

winners

Alfrescian
Loyal

Those using mobile phones with GPS capability and using Windows Mobile operating system can install the GARMIN Mobile XT at a shop in Danga City Mall for RM50. (No charge if it cannot work after installation). After that, it can use MFM (Malfree (Malaysia-Singapore)) Maps and they are updated very frequently at their website, FOC. I'm using this and it took me all the way to Penang with ease. However, GARMIN Mobile XT is an old GPS software and so some of the features (like street view, etc) are not available.

Last edited:

quartz28

Alfrescian
Loyal

Now its always hanged and navigate half way during the journey ! Feels like throwing the device away!!!
And although i have updated the maps for few times , until now , they still dun have msia new custom in the map!

Hi Crystal...u got the update from Garmin officially? focu need to pay for it?

As for me, I brought Garmin 4yrs back in US with US maps only...for msia/s'pore map, i took from my friend who downloaded foc through some usergroup website...thus in terms of latest local location, i cannot expect much as i do not pay anything...

cheers...Quartz

crystal_tiong

Alfrescian
Loyal

Hi Crystal...u got the update from Garmin officially? focu need to pay for it?

As for me, I brought Garmin 4yrs back in US with US maps only...for msia/s'pore map, i took from my friend who downloaded foc through some usergroup website...thus in terms of latest local location, i cannot expect much as i do not pay anything...

cheers...Quartz

i bought from www.eastgear.com , maps are free ....

Last edited:

Arowana88

Alfrescian
Loyal

Dun throw away, can give me ma !!:biggrin:

abugumgum

Alfrescian
Loyal

Hi...

I am using Garmin.

I have NAVFone too. I think it uses the mobile phone signals to track location, similar to Google Maps on iPhone.
There is no data charge.
This is slower than an actual GPS like Garmin. I stop by the side of the road to check position when I am near to the destination. Used this at Muar, to locate the Assam Pedas Fish location and was able to navigate there but the dish was not to our liking :(

EDTBA

Alfrescian
Loyal

Not sure about iphone ... but my Nokia E5 ovimap worked fine in malaysia (SG - Malacca driving) without needing to connect to a telco - used direct GPS signal, instead of AGPS provided by the telcos.

Similarly, I use Nokia 5800 which has OVI Map which I can download the map in advance and use off-line navigation. This is great when travelling overseas, no data roaming charges.

The newer Nokia smartphones like the N9 or Lumia series comes with Nokia Maps which is similar.

Qube3

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: malaysia best 4 place to retire?

DRUS01-26-12-1.gif

Thanks bro, good info to know. Survey is inherently skewed to /for anglo-saxon based audiences as base is to/for English-speaking not that I have any issues with it.

I think if "safety" was one of the criterias, a number of the top few wouldn't make it to the list. Drug cartels, cold-war nuclear war regions, anarchist developments, quake zones...

:biggrin:

Last edited:

euphony

Alfrescian
Loyal

use malfreemaps, the map that comes with it is malsingmaps. the earlier is better in MY (coastal highway is updated already some time back), the latter better for SG. If you use city navigator together with your malsingmap it will hang bcos malsingmap doesn't have junction view or something like that should disable that especially if you are familiar with SG already.

i bought from www.eastgear.com , maps are free ....

Snooze

Alfrescian
Loyal

Hijack this.....

i am looking for a GPS too, hopefully one that can get free maps. I travel occasionally, and love road-trips holidays.