• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

JB/SG Crimewatch

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Wah lao... really that dangerous?

Singaporean nearly loses son after car was stolen

Aug 22, 2016 7:47pm

By DAVID SUN

He left his seven-year-old son alone in his BMW for five minutes as he ran an errand while in Johor Baru.

When he returned, both the car and his son were gone.

He had to wait for what must have seemed like a lifetime, before he was reunited with his son, six hours later.

The boy was found unhurt about 6km away from where he was taken, reported Shin Min Daily News.

It all started at about 4pm last Saturday (Aug 20), when the man in his 50s left his son in the car while he went to buy milk powder.

The white BMW was parked in front of a traditional Chinese medicine (TCM) shop at Taman Melodies, a suburb in Johor Baru.

Speaking to the Chinese daily, the TCM shopkeeper, known only as Mr Lee, 61, said the man went into the shop and bought two tins of milk powder worth RM180 (S$60).

He left after paying, but returned to change one of the milk powder tins.

When he left again after five minutes, he found that the Singapore-registered car was gone, along with his son in it.

Mr Lee told Shin Min that the man became flustered and borrowed his phone, attempting to call his own phone that he had left in the car.

But he could not get through.

He then called the Malaysian Police to make a report.

Pictures of the boy were uploaded on Facebook shortly after the boy and car went missing, with the posts asking others to look out for the boy.

The posts, put on behalf of the man, were widely circulated with at least 7,000 shares.

Mr Lee said the man told him that he had not locked the car doors.

Thankfully, the boy was found unhurt later that day, at about 10pm, around the Danga Bay area.

But the car has yet to be found.

The police confirmed that a police report of the incident was made.

Shin Min also spoke to workers in the Taman Melodies area, who said that the area was relatively safe, though people were still advised to be careful.

A photo of the boy after he was found was later uploaded to Facebook to show concerned netizens that he was safe.

Never lock car doors, of course dangerous. Even in Singapore I will tell my kids to lock the door, don't say in JB.

Investor888

Alfrescian
Loyal
50 year old Male, drive to JB in a white BMW. Leave kid inside and car unlocked? Is he kidding? I got ta feeling its just another Sinkie chap who got no money to pay his BMW instalment and ask his brudders up there to cheat insurance again.

Pesonally I know of at least 50+ cases happening every year as I got a close friend who is buying and selling SG cars "reported" loss in JB by losers who want to drive mercs and BMWs but no money to pay instalments after that.

After all, concocting a storyline of car and kid kena robbed and kidnapped and much much better than the TOW TRUCK appearing at your HDB carpark to tow away your BMW, right?

mpan12

Alfrescian
Loyal
He is Singaporean. Simple things like this that it is easy for us to take for granted. That's how safe Singapore is. This point is truly appreciated by not just Singaporeans but all residents and visitors to Singapore. I could walk alone in the street at 1am with my laptop and phone fully exposed but I don't even glance at my surroundings for would be muggers. It's insanely safe to those who have lived overseas. Of course, as always, low crime does not mean no crime. Still got to use some common sense sometimes.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
He is Singaporean. Simple things like this that it is easy for us to take for granted. That's how safe Singapore is. This point is truly appreciated by not just Singaporeans but all residents and visitors to Singapore. I could walk alone in the street at 1am with my laptop and phone fully exposed but I don't even glance at my surroundings for would be muggers. It's insanely safe to those who have lived overseas. Of course, as always, low crime does not mean no crime. Still got to use some common sense sometimes.

Also depends on which street you are walking alone at 1am. :p

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal

Try leaving your car with engine running unattended....especially a flashy car like BMW on the road side.

mpan12

Alfrescian
Loyal
Also depends on which street you are walking alone at 1am. :p

Haha... most streets. Done that many times. I also carry expensive cameras around late into the night without fear. Won't do this in some other countries, not just JB. Many first world countries are usually safe. But I would still be careful about where I am walking.

mpan12

Alfrescian
Loyal
Try leaving your car with engine running unattended....especially a flashy car like BMW on the road side.

Not proven but I have a feeling if you do this in Singapore, the car should still be intact. Depends where also lah and at what time. If there is someone inside while the engine is running, it's even safer.

rotikok

Alfrescian
Loyal
Haha... most streets. Done that many times. I also carry expensive cameras around late into the night without fear. Won't do this in some other countries, not just JB. Many first world countries are usually safe. But I would still be careful about where I am walking.
First world country beside US, southern and eastern part of europe including Germany and france. Developing country like Bhuttan also safe like singapore japan.

RedsYNWA

Alfrescian
Loyal
Not proven but I have a feeling if you do this in Singapore, the car should still be intact. Depends where also lah and at what time. If there is someone inside while the engine is running, it's even safer.

It sounds like a really dumb thing to do, even in Singapore. Leaving your car unattended, engine running and with kid inside.

On another note, I saw a no. of smashed car windows on the streets of Paris, and even in a busy shopping centre in Perth.That's just the way it is in major cities around the world.

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal
It sounds like a really dumb thing to do, even in Singapore. Leaving your car unattended, engine running and with kid inside.

On another note, I saw a no. of smashed car windows on the streets of Paris, and even in a busy shopping centre in Perth.That's just the way it is in major cities around the world.

First world are not safe cities like Milan, Rome, London, New York, San Francisco, Paris or even Munich. There are places to go and places not to go in these cities. Eg you don't go roaming in New York or San Francisco deep at night. Or try leaving your car unattended in Kingcross in Sydney. You be asking for trouble.

mpan12

Alfrescian
Loyal

Dumb? In what sense?

It's not so much whether dumb or not in this discussion, but the probability of someone coming over, grab the car, and drive off with the kid inside. AFAIK, it has not happened before in SG in the last few decades.

Of course, if the parent leaves the car running, a kid is inside, while going for shopping for an hour, it's stupid. But if the parent simply wants to run an errand for a short while, say less than 5 mins, and come back, I see no reason to say why it's dumb if the act itself does not inconvenience others or cause a high chance of any danger happening.

AHGS14

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sg law:

Under the Environmental Protection and Management (Vehicular Emissions) Regulations, it is an offence for the driver of a motor vehicle to leave the engine of the vehicle idling when the vehicle is stationary for reasons other than traffic conditions, except when the engine is needed to operate on-board equipment such as in the case of ambulances, fire engines, freezer trucks and concrete-mixer trucks.

snowbird

Alfrescian
Loyal

Some people are just plain stupid and dumb.
Not too long ago, another case whereby the lady driver stopped by the buy some fruits, leaving her kids and maid in the car, with engine running.
About 10 mins later, when she came back to the car which was stopped just several steps away, it was gone, with all the passengers in it.
This happened in the late evening along Jalan Tun Abdul Razak, near a Petron petrol kiosk with few fruit stall beside and this is a popular petrol kiosk for SG drivers to top up before leaving JB.
This news was covered prominently in the ST.

rainbow

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sorry for some digression. Can anybody please advise the procedures of bringing a dog over from Spore to JB. Does the dog need to be quarantined for a period (how long) on JB side? Planning to bring my dog over.

winners

Alfrescian
Loyal
Blind man loses savings after asking man to help him withdraw money at Johor Baru ATM

Like this also have?

JOHOR BARU (THE STAR/ASIA NEWS NETWORK) - A blind man, 48, lost his savings when he asked a stranger to help him withdraw money from an ATM in Johor Baru, Sin Chew Daily reported.

The man, known only as Mr Yu, said he had gone to the bank to withdraw money at about 7am on Sept 30.

A man who was queueing up had helped him to check his balance using Mr Yu's ATM card.

"He told me I still had RM1,104 (S$367) in the bank so I asked him to withdraw RM1,050 for me.

"However, he told me the ATM had broken down and my money could not be withdrawn. He then quickly returned the card to me and left," Mr Yu said.

Mr Yu then sought help from another man there, who found a receipt showing that RM1,050 had been withdrawn from his account.

He was shocked as he needed the money for his daily expenses.

Mr Yu called the daily to relate his incident as he hoped people would not take advantage of the misfortunes of others.

"I have been asking strangers for help to withdraw money but this is the first time I have been cheated," said Mr Yu, who lost his eyesight two years ago.

Mr Yu, who is living alone in a rented flat, said he did not need any help as he could depend on dried food at home until the welfare department banked in his monthly subsistence.

winners

Alfrescian
Loyal
After this incident, I hope he will be smarter now and go to the bank during office hours and get their customer service staff to withdraw for him.

winners

Alfrescian
Loyal
6 patients dead in fire at Johor Bahru hospital

My condolences go to the bereaved.

JOHOR BAHRU: Six patients - four women and two men - were killed in a fire at the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) of Johor's biggest hospital.

The fire on level two of the Sultanah Aminah Hospital (HSA) started at around 8.55am on Tuesday (Oct 25).

Director of Johor's Fire and Rescue Department Othman Abdullah said 166 firemen and 10 emergency vehicles were rushed to HSA at 8.56am.

Mr Othman said those who were killed were among the seven patients in the southern ICU on the second floor of the hospital. One patient was rescued by firefighters, he added.

"There were seven critically ill patients in the ICU who, according to doctors, were dependent on ventilators under normal circumstances and could not be moved without their beds," he said, adding that the fire did not spread to other areas of the hospital.

Patients evacuated from HSA were taken to other hospitals in the state, Health Ministry director-general Noor Hisham Abdullah said in a statement.

Providing further details on the incident at a press conference, health minister Dr S Subramaniam confirmed that in addition to the patients, there were 10 members of staff in the ICU when the fire broke out.

Dr Subramaniam said that the members of staff sustained injuries and three were receiving assisted ventilation at a nearby hospital.

Said the minister: "The sprinkler system was operational and officers on duty also tried to use a fire extinguisher, but both steps were unsuccessful in controlling the fire, which was spreading rapidly.

"This is an incident where all the preparations we had made were unable to help control the fire. This could be because of the ICU environment - patients were on oxygen machines and fire needs oxygen. That could be why the flames spread so rapidly and so intensely. It became uncontrollable in seconds."

msia-dpm-and-health-minister-at-johor-hospital-data.jpg

Malaysia's Deputy Prime Minister Ahmad Zahid Hamidi and Health Minister Dr S. Subramaniam examine the damage to the Sultanah Aminah hospital following the fire on Tuesday (Oct 25). (Photo: Amir Yusof)

"DARK ... SMOKE EVERYWHERE"

Earlier in the day, Johor Bahru Selatan Police chief ACP Sulaiman Salleh said five of the bodies were found at 11.15am and the sixth a little later.

Chief firefighter Muhammad Rizal Bin Buang described the scene when he arrived at the ICU ward.

"When we entered the ward, it was already dark and there was smoke everywhere. But thankfully, we managed to contain the fire to that specific ward. We tried to save the seven patients, who all needed oxygen assistance as part of their treatment. But we could only rescue one in time. We are still investigating the source of the fire," he added.

An eyewitness, Habibah Abd Ghani, 37, said she was not aware of the fire and only realised it after she was out of the building.

"During the incident, I was in the fourth floor ward with my father who was admitted for pain in his ribs. Then I heard a commotion and was asked by the nurse to get out of the ward."

She added: "The situation was under control as we went down the stairs, assisted by the hospital employees."

Dr Subramaniam said the cause of the fire will be revealed only after the investigation and advised against speculation. In a tweet posted earlier, Malaysia's Prime Minister Najib Razak also said: "The government will conduct a thorough investigation as soon as possible to identify the cause of the fire."

Dr Subramaniam said he met the families of victims at the mortuary before his press conference.

"I know it's hard for them to accept what's happened. I pray for strength for them to overcome this. I've asked the hospital to provide aid to the families," he said.

The Health Ministry announced on Tuesday evening that it will be setting up a special committee to investigate the incident.

- Bernama/CNA/am/hs