• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

SG Passport application citizenship declaration

smithroy787

Like many other sinkies, I have acquired another citizenship/passport (US), and am now faced with a dilemma in renewing my sg passport. I'd "heard" 2nd/3rd hand of passport applications being approved despite declaring that one *has* acquired another citizenship. I've never been able to get this first hand from someone who has.

Has anyone here done that? I.e. declared that you *have* acquired another citizenship on the pp application, and still got approved? Or know of someone first hand who has? Or is this urban myth?

citizen2116

Alfrescian
Loyal
ICA do make mistakes by issuing the passport wrongly when you declare that you are dual. Upon picking it up, one has to declare it again.

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
ICA do make mistakes by issuing the passport wrongly when you declare that you are dual. Upon picking it up, one has to declare it again.

Please explain.

Do you mean that on your passport application for a passport or renewal of a SG passport, you declared that you obtained citizenship of another country, but ICA Singapore issued a SG passport to you, and when you were there to pick it up, they asked you to declare whether or not you have acquired the citizenship of another country?

BergmanHarold

Initially please verify yourself properly and check all the documents. Since renewal of passport require lots of procedure. When you are entering in other country it require Emigration process.

box beaute

Beaver

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have personally sighted a letter from ICA to a citizen who declared holding another passport, asking that person to elect to give up one citizenship.

Have heard other people get away with it, but like you, never seen it with my own eyes.

pc2009

Alfrescian
Loyal
Like many other sinkies, I have acquired another citizenship/passport (US), and am now faced with a dilemma in renewing my sg passport. I'd "heard" 2nd/3rd hand of passport applications being approved despite declaring that one *has* acquired another citizenship. I've never been able to get this first hand from someone who has.

Has anyone here done that? I.e. declared that you *have* acquired another citizenship on the pp application, and still got approved? Or know of someone first hand who has? Or is this urban myth?

Hi, instead of doing it yourself, use the agent (the one that do passport photos) at the ICA and they will do everything for you. Problem solved.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am 100% sure no one is going to reveal his true identity and give you first hand evidence of that state. Furthermore the application is no longer with him but with the ICA. So someone who actually had this experience can best offer you a statutory declaration which you might not want to rely on because it is effectively just his word. Maybe he swearing on a bible might help. I am sure an anon in this forum cannot be considered first hand. What then are you hoping to achieve?

Frankly I am surprised that you found the boldness and temerity to migrate without getting a formal black and white plus an endorsement from your local PAP branch.

So where does that leave you? Then there is a resident idiot in this folder who thru his own ignorance migrated to California, gave up his Singapore Citizenship only to find out that those who went before and after him and who did not need the CPF money and therefore held on to their citizenship. So on every and any request for help in the emigration folder he will readily pop up respond not to make a false decaration. And nothing more.

Now to the meat....

Ever heard of DADT policy. It something that many countries apply and use especially on national security, consitituional matters and where a cut and dry solution does no one no good. The US Army policy on gays is one.

Let me preface the rest by saying that risk taking is an element of any worthwhile undertaking. Relying on codified law is only applicable if you reside in Singapore and vote PAP religiously.

1. In the first place, is there a need to hold 2 valid passports as opposed to 2 valid citizenships. I am sure we all know which is more important.

2. Secondly there is no law that exist in Singapore and there has never been any law in Singapore since it was given self-governing status by the British, its time with Malaysia and after gaining indepedence that prohibits dual or more citizenship. Actually Australia had this until 2004 but never in Singapore. if there was such a law, half of the families of Singapore elite including civil servants, politicans would be in trouble.

3. Many reciprocal arrangements of the past with destination countries such as Foreign govts notifying acquisition of their citizenship by Singaporeans and returning Singapore passports of new immigrants have been dropped long long ago. It reflects a more practical and global world and every country wants and tries to hold on to their best and brightest by fair and by not so fair means.

4. These are fluid policies which can turn and they have been turned many times. The Singapore Embassy US website actually had instruction on dual citizenship especially on NS issues which was very useful for a short while but it has been taken down. To many who saw that I am sure the penny dropped that dual ciitizenship was never in the law. By the way there is a difference in the law and the position of the Govt where it officially frowns upon and does not encourage dual citizenship. Note the words. Interestingly even long standing and respectable lawyers will spontaneously tell you that it is prohibited but when asked to cite the law suddenly are lost.

5. By now by the flow of this response, an image should be forming of where this is going albeit cryptic at times - case by case and personal to holder would be the best decription. In simple terms every application is done on its merits (not your interest but the interest of the Govt)

6. You however cannot reside on these shores and hold both unless you carry an Indonesian sounding name an you reside in the East Coast recently. Those who return and decide to return for good will get a note eventually, interestingly many moons down the road to make a choice. A Nice and friendly letter asking you consider your position.Nothing demanding or nasty.

7. The acceptable interntional protocol where 2 valid passports exist is to use the passport of that country to enter and exit. This is something that is told to new migrants when they acquire new passports. This is to allow appropriate census to be gathered. Singapore also has a law that requires you to use your valid Singapore passport to enter. In all these decades no one has been taken to task for contravening this.

8. By the way, unless you have created a totally false indentity, your disembarkation form has enough information to know if you were a previous son of this soil even if you have changed your name via deed poll.

If you still catch no ball, the simple message is every case is done on merit. I am sure Tan Wah Piow's application would have been rejected. The other simple message is it is not an offence to live in this world with a expired Singapore passport.

Hope this helps.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If you still catch no ball, the simple message is every case is done on merit. I am sure Tan Wah Piow's application would have been rejected. The other simple message is it is not an offence to live in this world with a expired Singapore passport.
Hope this helps.

An interesting story about an Australian Singaporean dual nationality who was not permitted to board a flight back to Melbourne.

Turned out that his Singapore passport has an expired Aussie PR visa. He panicked and called me for solution, eg fax over a fake letter that I am his employer. I told him to show his Aussie passport, but he said the name on the passport differ from his air-ticket. So, I suggested that the passport photo more important. Names can change for various reasons, incl. marriage.

After that incident, he said he stopped using his Singapore passport and gave up Singapore citizenship.

After all, even if you do not need CPF money, the CPF rules change all the time, and the secrecy of CPF is a concern. Take the money out for investment is a good idea too. Of course, some people sitting on lazy millions have no worries over a few hundred thousands. Others have blood millions but live have paupers are another story. Their choice.

Singapore is no longer Singapore. Pinoypore, Chinapore or FTpore ???

At least Sammyboy.com has a resident Emigration and Citizenship lawyer. Thanks to scroobal!

Last edited: