• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Why waste $2.9m on useless giant fans at MRT platforms?

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Posted on 10 Apr 2012
Why waste $2.9m on useless giant fans at MRT platforms, netizens ask

why_waste_29m_on_giant_fans_at_mrt_platforms-thumbnail.jpg

Netizens are irked that the LTA has spent $2.9 million on giant fans at MRT platforms to help commuters stay cool while waiting for trains.

STOMPers Elias, Ferb and Britney wrote in with comments about the newly-installed fans. Others had also wondered why, after all the expense, the fans were not even switched on for the benefit of commuters.

STOMPer Elias wrote:

"These fans are proof that our MRT woes are far from over, such that steps must be taken to make waiting at station platforms more comfortable.

"It's almost like they are acknowledging that much time will be spent waiting for trains now, so why not make things more comfortable?

"Perhaps that $2.9 million ought to be channelled into fixing the real problem instead of pointless projects like this."

STOMPer Ferb wrote:

"What is LTA trying to tell Singaporeans, that Singapore is so rich that we can happy happy use $2.9m just for such fans?

"In the first place, didn't we survive without such fans on MRT platform for many years?

"Or LTA trying to tell us that breakdown of the MRT train will become more and more common, and each time it will get longer and longer to resume the MRT train moving again ?

"Or maybe LTA wants to say that since nowadays it is impossible to get onto the first train, second train, or even third, fourth and fifth train, such that you will be standing at the platform for more than half an hour?

"So therefore in order not to let you get hotter, you need to be 'fanned-down' for either one of the above problems?

"I do not have the comparisons, I'm not sure if anyone out there can help to compute the price of one of these fans versus one of our common wall fans? How about the maintenance costs ?

"Is it true that our common wall fans cannot perform as well as these fans? Or there is so much difference in performance that LTA wants to use $2.9m to install such fans?

"Is $2.9m tax-payers' monies?

"Will any more government bodies or stat board follow suit to use such fans? Or will they happy happy use another $2.9m?"

STOMPer Britney was also upset that even after fans were installed, they were not turned on for the benefit of commuters.

She wrote:

"On Tuesday April 3, I saw this big ceiling fan at Tampines MRT Station.

"It was a very hot and humid afternoon, and when I saw this huge ceiling fan I was shocked.

"Why spend so much money on this fan when you are not even going to let your commuters enjoy it, SMRT?"

Click on thumbnails for larger image

Keywords: SMRT , MRT , mrt station
<!--<script src="http://static.ak.connect.facebook.com/js/api_lib/v0.4/FeatureLoader.js.php/en_US" type="text/javascript"></script>-->
LOL
2%

<!-- end mm_moodcontainer div -->
Cute
0%

Shiok
1%

Fail
6%

OMG
0%

Bochup
11%

Ewww!
4%

So Sad
3%

Enraged
73%

<!-- end mm_body div -->
<!-- end moodResultItem div -->

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Posted on 09 Apr 2012
Why are these big fans at MRT station platforms not in use, even on a hot day?

big_fans_mrt_station_not_used-thumbnail.jpg

Several STOMPers have questioned the purpose of installing ceiling fans at the train platforms of MRT stations if they're not going to be turned on during a hot day.

STOMPer Jerry, who came across the fans on a humid afternoon at Bedok MRT station, wrote:

"What is the use of having a big fan in Bedok MRT station when it is not switched on during a humid day?"

Meanwhile, STOMPers Aziz and Britney also spotted similar-sized fans at the platform of Tampines MRT station.

STOMPer Aziz wrote:

"I was on my way to work when I saw these two big fans, which were not in use yet, at each end of the train platform at Tampines MRT station."

STOMPer Britney wrote:

"I saw this big ceiling fan at the Tampinies MRT station.

"I was shocked to find the huge ceiling fan not turned on even though it was a very humid afternoon.

"Why spend so much money on this fan when you are not even using it?

"The big ceiling fans are not put to good use."

Click on thumbnails for larger image

breaknews

Alfrescian
Loyal
Oh my look at the size of the fan, looks like a planes propellor.

If one of the fan blade comes of flying at someone.

He or she maybe decapitated instantly!

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
This is an utter waste of money better spent on improving infrastructure on the network.

People still don't understand how singapore works. Somewhere, some company supplying fans got this contract. The towkay of this company is either PAP affiliated, related, and someone at LTA got kickback.

groober2011

Alfrescian
Loyal
These very large fans were introduced to most schools as they are energy efficient and move large volumes of air which cools the body through heat dissipation. It uses a small 3/4 Hp motor and revolves very slowly. An advantage in school halls that previously used like 24 large wall fans that consumes more power. Those fans are high speed and exam papers can be blown away whereas these very large diameter fans revolves very slowly and do not cause this problem. I believe the brand sold here is call Big Ass Fans from USA although there are many other brands.

In Bugis Alley there is also one installed. This type of fans if used in for example in an indoor air conditioned basketball court will cool it better that without. You will noticed in large malls, the higher you are like on the 6th floor atrium, it is warmer than on the ground floor. As we know, warm air rises and cool air descends. These fans will mitigate this problem by blowing large volumes of air downwards thus making the temperature of the entire space even. I will post pictures later.

hotbot

Alfrescian
Loyal
my past experience with them and after reading this, smrt's way of doing things is the typical army style...pattern about the same. nothing happen, nothing will be done.:rolleyes:

BuiKia

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
That is because many of the people in top management are from the army?

my past experience with them and after reading this, smrt's way of doing things is the typical army style...pattern about the same. nothing happen, nothing will be done.:rolleyes:

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
Why waste $2.9m on useless giant fans at MRT platforms, netizens ask

just wondering: why not make use of solar panels? install them on the rooftop of the MRT station and this can off set the electrical costs of operating these huge fans :o:o:o

Debonerman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Stomper dumber than a shit for brains dumbfuck moderator. Why don't he ask why we need to buy F15sg Eagles to replace A4 Skyhawks? What was the primary purpose in the creation of Singapore Technologies?

Z

Zombie

1) glass barricades surrounding the whole platform means no windflow through the platform at the our body's level... should have used panels with holes....

2) putting a fan up there is not really helpful.. hot air rises and trapped underneath the concave ceiling.. the ceiling itself may also be very hot.. with a fan blowing the hot air down while there are no escape on both sides (glass barricades), we are like inside a high pressure cooker.. :eek:

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
People still don't understand how singapore works. Somewhere, some company supplying fans got this contract. The towkay of this company is either PAP affiliated, related, and someone at LTA got kickback.

Indeed. It's the same with lift upgrading. Do you Sinkies honestly think the PAP govt gives a flying fuck about the convenience of residents, or about sparing elderly folks the strenuous trauma of climbing up and down the stairs?

And the charade of letting residents vote for/against the upgrading is laughable.

Somewhere, a govt-linked crony contractor is laughing all the way to the bank. Open the books and follow the money trail.

It's business as usual in Singapore Inc.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i reccommend to SMRT and desmond lim that SMRT remove all aircon from train carriages immediately and switch to open window air conditioning.

eErotica69

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
No fan, netizens KPKB say hot.

Got fan, netizens KPKB say waste money.

Install aircon, netizens KPKB say waste money, why not install fan!!