• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Renovation to your homes

foopiew

Alfrescian
Loyal
Guys,
My apartment is going to be ready. I need some advice on which contractor should i use. I understand from the post it is better to split the job. I need a good carpenter for my kitchen and bed room.

Thank You

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Guys,
My apartment is going to be ready. I need some advice on which contractor should i use. I understand from the post it is better to split the job. I need a good carpenter for my kitchen and bed room.

Thank You

Always split and never combine. In fact, if you have time, you can go to different guys in places like Perling or leading to Perling (near Hing Fuat furniture) where you can find a lot of different types of aluminum, door supplier, flooring guys, kitchen guys, etc.

foopiew

Alfrescian
Loyal
Always split and never combine. In fact, if you have time, you can go to different guys in places like Perling or leading to Perling (near Hing Fuat furniture) where you can find a lot of different types of aluminum, door supplier, flooring guys, kitchen guys, etc.

Thanks Wuqi. Really appreciate your advice.

I will go and check it out this weekend.

TAMAN PERLING
61-75, Jalan Rawa,
Taman Perling,
81200 Johor Bahru,
Johor, Malaysia.
Tel: +607-2411777
Fax: +607-2411215
Email: [email protected]

silvia

Alfrescian
Loyal

Hi Big Bro,

Mind letting me know why split? Any experience?
Cos we're always working in sg,thus might have no time to search and match all the different contractors together. I know ID is expensive and materials might be of low quality.
Hai...headache argh! Want easy way=expensive and low quality, want hard way=less expensive and high quality... how how how? Hahaha

kopikong99

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi Big Bro,

Cos we're always working in sg,thus might have no time to search and match all the different contractors together. I know ID is expensive and materials might be of low quality.
Hai...headache argh! Want easy way=expensive and low quality, want hard way=less expensive and high quality... how how how? Hahaha

There is no way to avoid the hassles of managing the reno contractors.

Most of the contractors are out to rip off especially Sg ppl.

Contractors typically tell you they do everything or they are the best in JB, Sg and some says Batam. But what they actually does is they just acts as middleman between you and that someone who they can find that can do what is required.

Most will also loves to recommend you to trashed whatever and then recommend you to buy new or expensive so they can earn more, all at your expense and cost.

Some will push you so that they can quickly finish as quick as possible with most likely defects covered up and demand payment as they claim all completed. So they must be watched or else defects are covered up and low quality materials are used. There is no recourse for you and they knows that you are Sgreans and helpless. Even the locals are being ripped off as well and helpless unless you are fierce-looking.

Never pay more than the work completed or they will walk out on the job as they have collected the money and now they don't have to continue to earn that money. Be careful of them when they asked for much more than the completed work as then they have trapped you and forced you to pay more and more and then abscond with your money. It is a wild wild west here as far as contractors are concerned.

Never never trust any Indonesian contractors as they are un-contactable if there is any disputes and possibly looking for ppl that they can cheat and abscond with the owner money. There are already many such cases. Their trick is to quote you cheap as the bait and once you bite, you are at their mercy. You can be assured that there will be lots of grief with using Indonesian contractors or workers. Even the ordinary Indonesian workers will give you shoddy and defective works unless you watched over them 24 hours. The moment you turn your back, they will play monkey tricks.

Regardless of which contractors, most will have this in their mind, ie. to rip you off as they knows when your SGD converts to M$, it is peanut to you and you are a big fat piece of meat.

Go for contractor with business address and that is introduced by someone trustworthy.

Split all the work contract so that you can have control over the project but then it takes up your time.

You also need to work out your budget and plan the whole renovation project, finalise before you start. If it is a major reno, then you probably have to cater for cost over-runs.

Why I know is because I just been through a unit major renovation and I am holding a full time job just that I am temporarily based in Johor.

Happy renovation and a beautiful new home to look forward to.

crystal_tiong

Alfrescian
Loyal
wow , i love the leds shower heads!!!!

Leds Shower Heads.jpg

Esp this one , my love :

Pink.jpg

Last edited:

Jujube

Alfrescian
Loyal
Where can I buy good quality LED downlights in JB with installation service included. I thought of buying frm spore at SG$60 per 9.8W LED downlight&heatsink but it's supply only. Anyone can share their experience with LED lighting during renovation? How much is the charges to get an electrician services to do 1000sqft apt in JB?

Funds Transfer

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi Big Bro,

Just to share, I am working in SG too.

The splitting up of suppliers may get you better prices as no one contractor gets you the best bargains.

It may also give you more excuses to visit JB. :smile:

For example, I installed the aircon from a supplier that is different from the electrician. Also purchased my own lightings. Contractor is only responsible for tiling, kitchen cabinet, plumbing and cleaning.

If you want quality (presumed you are renovating for own stay?), then need to look harder and shop more.

If you are leasing, it may be fine just with average quality as the tenant is not going to be super careful with your things.

Just my two cents.

Funds Transfer

Alfrescian
Loyal
Where can I buy good quality LED downlights in JB with installation service included. I thought of buying frm spore at SG$60 per 9.8W LED downlight&heatsink but it's supply only. Anyone can share their experience with LED lighting during renovation? How much is the charges to get an electrician services to do 1000sqft apt in JB?

I have LED lighting in my garden. Quite expensive because it is outdoor and was mounted into the wall. RM 150 per point. Normally, for a normal point under shelter, it would be RM 60 to 70.