• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Renovation to your homes

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
Seeking opinion about repainting. Do we need to repaint a new house ?
One contractor told just one coat since there is primer all done up. One contractor told better to have a wash use nippon paint primer and then repaint.

Any advise ?

You havent tell us how deep is your pocket. Best is to high water pressure blast n replaster cracked parts too before repainting everything.

ComingToJB

Alfrescian
Loyal
If carry out without the approval from MBJBT, will there be problems in future?
Yes, many don't bother.
Any approval required for adding loft inside the house? I'm planning to do so for high ceiling area..
Loft.jpg

AHGS14

Alfrescian
Loyal
If carry out without the approval from MBJBT, will there be problems in future?
Yes, many don't bother.

Just met with my ID this morning over my house renovation which has just kicked off. Naturally, we talked about the "illegal" extension that he initially proposed and I asked about the risk had I gone ahead with the construction without submitting the plans. His take is that since my house is in a new taman, the "authorities" will more likely than not come visiting the whole taman without targeting a particular house, but merely to scan around. He said they are VERY GOOD at picking out "potentials" for "follow up". If I were still interested to put up the extension, it may be better to build it without submitting plan after a few years when they are less likely to do their "walkabout".

Hope this piece of information will be helpful to you.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
Seeking opinion about repainting. Do we need to repaint a new house ?
One contractor told just one coat since there is primer all done up. One contractor told better to have a wash use nippon paint primer and then repaint.

Any advise ?

Once you do concealed wiring, you will have to repaint as there will be many patches on the wall and ugly if no repaint.

alnine

Alfrescian
Loyal
Noted. But I am wondering if its worthwhile to do the jet wash and coat primer. Unfortunately I need to be careful with the budget and hence weighing my options what to do. Thanks

matix

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: HomeFair 2014

Are there any high end furniture shops in JB same as Space or XZQT? Shops who specialized in Italian copies also can. :smile:

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
Noted. But I am wondering if its worthwhile to do the jet wash and coat primer. Unfortunately I need to be careful with the budget and hence weighing my options what to do. Thanks

External coat is important as it protects e concrete n steel beneath.

Grago

Alfrescian
Loyal
I need help to get a contractor who knows how to install Bamboo blinds. If you have them installed and happy with them can you share you ctc. I am having quite a bit of stress with the contractor who is doing the Bamboo blinds for me, from the way the blind has been attached to the supports to the tying off the ropes when the blinds are up. Rather than using cleats he has used hook eye screws to tie off the ropes. I will try to incl. pictures of his work so far.....
Below is a contractor recommended by Bro Wuqi, has anyone used him and what is your opinion of his work?

Bamboo Blinds
Bamboo Chong @ Perniagaan Lee Teck Mee
No. 155, Ban Foo N/V 81800 Ulu Tiram, Johor Bahru
Zhong Kai Wen – +6016 7935 600/+6017 7945663

Would appreciate constructive help. Thanks

Grago

Alfrescian
Loyal
I need help to get a contractor who knows how to install Bamboo blinds. If you have them installed and happy with them can you share you ctc. I am having quite a bit of stress with the contractor who is doing the Bamboo blinds for me, from the way the blind has been attached to the supports to the tying off the ropes when the blinds are up. Rather than using cleats he has used hook eye screws to tie off the ropes. I will try to incl. pictures of his work so far.....
Below is a contractor recommended by Bro Wuqi, has anyone used him and what is your opinion of his work?

Bamboo Blinds

image.jpg
This is the "hooks" in which to secure the ropes when the blinds are rolled-up.

image.jpg
This is how it looks when it is tied up with hooks as "support"

image.jpg
This is how it was suggested I should let the ropes hang when the blinds we're let down.

I understand that it is normal to secure the ropes to a cleat like this image.jpg

Last edited:

Legolad

Alfrescian
Loyal

Bamboo Blinds

I have mine done by Sin Hup Seng for my S'pore balconies. They also used the same type of hooks which work well for more than 5 years now. Still very strong & no rust. Cleats look nice but not very practical for long ropes like yours in the pictures as the space between the two ends are too short. You'll need to have enough room to have the ropes coil around.
However, their suggestion to leave them hanging when blinds are down, like in your pictures is not good. When strong winds blow, the loose ropes can cause havoc! There's a way to tie the loose ends around the vertical ropes without them dangling in a tangle. Experiment & see what works for you. (I don't have a photo to show).
Hope this helps.

Grago

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have mine done by Sin Hup Seng for my S'pore balconies. They also used the same type of hooks which work well for more than 5 years now. Still very strong & no rust. Cleats look nice but not very practical for long ropes like yours in the pictures as the space between the two ends are too short. You'll need to have enough room to have the ropes coil around.
However, their suggestion to leave them hanging when blinds are down, like in your pictures is not good. When strong winds blow, the loose ropes can cause havoc! There's a way to tie the loose ends around the vertical ropes without them dangling in a tangle. Experiment & see what works for you. (I don't have a photo to show).
Hope this helps.

Thank you for your feedback.

matix

Alfrescian
Loyal
Do developers do soil chemical treatment for landed house before building? Wondering if it is necessary to do this for a new landed house. Worried about termites infestation.

good2

Alfrescian
Loyal
Do developers do soil chemical treatment for landed house before building? Wondering if it is necessary to do this for a new landed house. Worried about termites infestation.

Play safe, avoid wood flooring. Unlikely they do soil treatment .

Sagitarius

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi Bros and Sis! My friend just got the keys to their Elita Condo. The paintworks in the apartment was not well done and its colour of beige doesn't appeal to them. They wanted the place to be painted white. As it is within the warranty period, can my friend ask the developer to paint the apartment in white? Thank you in advance.

Narmi

Alfrescian
Loyal
Anyone have recommendation for artificial grass installer?

I want to put artificial grass on my slope. I have tried to do weeding myself for past 1yr whenever I can but I think i surrender especially on the slope part of my garden. hahah.

Googled it and found Inspiregrass which has office in Setia Tropika. Not sure anyone have used this company before

Narmi

Alfrescian
Loyal

I want to put artificial grass on my slope. I have tried to do weeding myself for past 1yr whenever I can but I think i surrender especially on the slope part of my garden. hahah.

Googled it and found Inspiregrass which has office in Setia Tropika. Not sure anyone have used this company before

AHGS14

Alfrescian
Loyal

I have an initial contact with Inspire Grass rep who lives in Setia Tropika who came to do measurements on areas where I want to lay artificial grass. On concrete or cement floor, they will put "honeycomb" support underneath before laying the artificial grass, while on grass patches, they will dig out the grass, put sand to level the ground to lay the artificial grass over. Either method, the cost remains the same, about RM22 psf. the price varies according to the "length" of the grass chosen.

As my house is not ready yet, I have not chased him on the official quote. I will probably use them when time comes as to their credit, the company and rep were responsive.