• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Renovation to your homes

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
It looks like shop lots. But the high brick walls and grand entrance does make the place look very atas overall....

High walls harder to burglarised I suppose. And if I recall Tesco was just opp stone throw distance. Very convenient!

BlackCaviar

Alfrescian
Loyal
Unable to receive digital TV, analog reception not good and blurry. Guess it must be the heavy rain and strong wind last weekend causing this problem.

Any reliable and trustworthy TV antenna service person to recommend? Thanks in advance

leongyo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi all, I'm looking to renovate my home...

1) any kind souls would share their experience whether going at it alone is better (ie. source for different contractor to hack wall, plumber, painter, garderner, etc) OR get lead contractor?
2) does lead contractor means ID?

Thanks.

Legolad

Alfrescian
Loyal
Mega Home fair at Persada Johor from 15 to 17 Nov, 11 am to 10 pm. Mega Home Persada.jpg

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi all, I'm looking to renovate my home...

1) any kind souls would share their experience whether going at it alone is better (ie. source for different contractor to hack wall, plumber, painter, garderner, etc) OR get lead contractor?
2) does lead contractor means ID?

Thanks.

Really depends whether you got time or energy or not. With ID contractor you just hound one person. If DIY you have to hound many persons.

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
Really depends whether you got time or energy or not. With ID contractor you just hound one person. If DIY you have to hound many persons.

I tried DIY n ID for two houses. DIY save abt 10-20% but end result is not v good n quite tiring. ID result is way better. ID do offer value add in terms of advice n some coordination.

RedsYNWA

Alfrescian
Loyal
I tried DIY n ID for two houses. DIY save abt 10-20% but end result is not v good n quite tiring. ID result is way better. ID do offer value add in terms of advice n some coordination.

Another problem with DIY is that each contractor will blame the other for sloppy work. But instead of ID, I think an experienced main contractor could be better...

hippoheyhey

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have 2 panasonic ceiling fans which are wobbling just mounted. Contractor blames the panasonic fans spoil and refuses to do anything else, but I think it is the contractor's installer. Anyone knows of a reliable fan installer to rectify?

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have 2 panasonic ceiling fans which are wobbling just mounted. Contractor blames the panasonic fans spoil and refuses to do anything else, but I think it is the contractor's installer. Anyone knows of a reliable fan installer to rectify?
U need to balance e fans. Done with small metal pieces attached to e blades.

jasonjst

Alfrescian
Loyal
Another problem with DIY is that each contractor will blame the other for sloppy work. But instead of ID, I think an experienced main contractor could be better...

My experience is main contractor, especially old uncle, can suggest very practical solutions but lack the aesthetic look lor, sometime sibeh obang!

jasonjst

Alfrescian
Loyal

Read installation guide , got instruction on balancing the blades . Normally new and good quality fan dont need balancing , but guess yours unlucky lah , can actually request warranty claim lor .

Last edited:

RedsYNWA

Alfrescian
Loyal
My experience is main contractor, especially old uncle, can suggest very practical solutions but lack the aesthetic look lor, sometime sibeh obang!

yes yes, so what is needed is that you need to be quite creative yourself.... The better ID firms in JB aint cheap though, I suspect. My half-baked freelance ID already v ex liao....

winners

Alfrescian
Loyal
U need to balance e fans. Done with small metal pieces attached to e blades.
Yes, these are self-adhesive "weights" to be stuck onto the blades. It'll have to be done on a trial-and-error basis. I spent about 1 hour to balance my ceiling fan (with lights) and then it's perfect now. The fan installer didn't even bother to balance for me.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
I was quoted the following for securing my 3 storey intermediate terrace. Experienced folks pls advise if quote is reasonable.

1. Stainless Steel Full House Window 284ft 30 no for RM8500.00

2. Stainless Steel Sliding Door 3 no @ RM4800.00 for RM14400

3. Stainless Steel Both Side Open Door 1 no for RM2600.00

Total potential damage : RM25500.00

I enquired Hong Lee aluminium and was quoted RM21000 for whole house. Now deciding whether to go with Stainless Steel or Aluminium. Any advice?

Last edited:

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
I was quoted the following for securing my 3 storey intermediate terrace. Experienced folks pls advise if quote is reasonable.

1. Stainless Steel Full House Window 284ft 30 no for RM8500.00

2. Stainless Steel Sliding Door 3 no @ RM4800.00 for RM14400

3. Stainless Steel Both Side Open Door 1 no for RM2600.00

Total potential damage : RM25500.00

I enquired Hong Lee aluminium and was quoted RM21000 for whole house. Now deciding whether to go with Stainless Steel or Aluminium. Any advice?

Stainless steel. Aluminium alloy is quite soft (I installed in my Singapore house so I know).

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Stainless steel. Aluminium alloy is quite soft (I installed in my Singapore house so I know).

Thanks, must cough blood for SGD10000 to foot RM25500 stainless steel grilles. After that must ask burglars to test the system to make it worthwhile. OK just kidding!