• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Renovation to your homes

dare2

Alfrescian
Loyal
Grille is done after the cement and wiring works and after painting. The first two are messy and dusty so the grilles should not be up before that. As for painting; I think it is easier for them to paint without grilles so that is why they do that first.

Agree, generally grille should be after painting as with most renovation of new or major re-renovation, the grille will make it more difficult to paint, as they get in the way and they might get tainted by paints.

Painting should be after electrical. Once grille is up after painting, built-in fittings then light, your contractors and ID should be able to advice you on the workflow.

alnine

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thank you all so much. Gotten the keys and now doing the reno planning.
Still not sure to use an id or have several contractors. I guess it will be cost vs time decision.
Anyone who like to recommend any contractor/id to me most welcome.

Sagitarius

Alfrescian
Loyal
Vincent, I got the guys who were installing my solar heater to clean the water tank. This is how they did it...........The cost for them to clean the tank was RM150.
Hope this helps.

Hi Grago, I would appreciate it if you could give me the contact details of your contractor who installed your solar heater. I am thinking of installing one and also if possible get them to clean my tank as well. Thanks. By the way, is your pump noisy when the water is turned on? Mine does and it can be irritating.

Sagitarius

Alfrescian
Loyal
Have anyone tried the contractor at Sutera Mall level 2? Fine Art? They have office in spore too.

Thank you Movingaway for sharing your tip. My place is actually done up about nearly a year but the pump when started is too noisy. I am scratching my head on how to remedy that.

kezgtree

Alfrescian
Loyal

Thank you Movingaway for sharing your tip. My place is actually done up about nearly a year but the pump when started is too noisy. I am scratching my head on how to remedy that.

There is this thing call jacketing...whereby it is box-up just like a fire-rated duct...it will reduce the noise

Grago

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi Grago, I would appreciate it if you could give me the contact details of your contractor who installed your solar heater. I am thinking of installing one and also if possible get them to clean my tank as well. Thanks. By the way, is your pump noisy when the water is turned on? Mine does and it can be irritating.

hello. Sagittarius, sorry for delayed reply, the person you are looking for is Alex Wee and company is Solartech, the solar water heater I installed is the SUMMER TX model. The tech's who installed it also gave the water tank a good clean before refilling it. Alex ctc is 0122871099 and is a nice guy. No regrets in getting the solar water heater.
As to the water pump, it rattles when it starts up and when it stops. I've gotten use to the racket so don't notice it much. I start to worry when I don't hear the noise when the jump starts :biggrin:

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thank you all so much. Gotten the keys and now doing the reno planning.
Still not sure to use an id or have several contractors. I guess it will be cost vs time decision.
Anyone who like to recommend any contractor/id to me most welcome.

I suggest to use one stop shop contractor to do as much as possible. Will be alot easier, no need to schedule and coordinate the cement, wiring, painting, iron grilles, cabinet etc yourself. As for recommendation, I suggest you wait till other neighbours start their renovation then survey and source directly from there.

Sagitarius

Alfrescian
Loyal
There is this thing call jacketing...whereby it is box-up just like a fire-rated duct...it will reduce the noise

Thank you Kezgtree for the tip. Anyway, it is a passing fancy to get rid of it as most pumps come with some noise. I will get a contractor and tell him to do that.

Sagitarius

Alfrescian
Loyal
hello. Sagittarius, sorry for delayed reply, the person you are looking for is Alex Wee and company is Solartech, the solar water heater I installed is the SUMMER TX model. The tech's who installed it also gave the water tank a good clean before refilling it. Alex ctc is 0122871099 and is a nice guy. No regrets in getting the solar water heater.
As to the water pump, it rattles when it starts up and when it stops. I've gotten use to the racket so don't notice it much. I start to worry when I don't hear the noise when the jump starts :biggrin:

No problem Grago and thank you for your info. I will contact Alex when I am in JB and see if it is worth the while to install a solar water heater, but I do need cleaning up of my tanks. Some months ago, without knowledge of ADE cleaning process, I turned off the tap to drain the dirty water but the dirty water made a backflow to the tanks, so there must be some sediments in there.

Grago

Alfrescian
Loyal
No problem Grago and thank you for your info. I will contact Alex when I am in JB and see if it is worth the while to install a solar water heater, but I do need cleaning up of my tanks. Some months ago, without knowledge of ADE cleaning process, I turned off the tap to drain the dirty water but the dirty water made a backflow to the tanks, so there must be some sediments in there.

When you are doing your Reno, if you haven't yet, I would suggest either you, if you are technically/electrically inclined, put a fluorescent tube up in the ceiling space. This would make it easier for yourself if ever you need to go up to check or when a workman needs to go up. Just a suggestion.

Sagitarius

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thank Bro Grago for your good tip, I never thought of that! I have to tell the contractor to do that when he comes for some repairs next time.

Actually this forum is an excellent forum for newbies to learn about JB before they commit to a property. Had I known of this, I would save a lot of trouble and money. Thanks to you and many others, I learned a lot from this forum.

Stevewish

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi,
Regarding extension of structures, does the contractor require to apply permit? One contractor told me it is not necessary but another one said must.

pls advise. thank you

AHGS14

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi,
Regarding extension of structures, does the contractor require to apply permit? One contractor told me it is not necessary but another one said must.

pls advise. thank you

I was told that many locals do not submit their extension plans for approval. I however, engaged an architect to draw and submit the renovation plans proposed by my ID for approval. One of the proposed extensions did not pass regulatory requirements and the architect refused to include that into the drawings to be submitted. As I do not want to take the risk of having it torn down after inspection (since I submitted the drawing, inspection is inevitable) in case I cannot find "other ways" of circumventing that, I have decided to revise that extension plan.

Stevewish

Alfrescian
Loyal
I was told that many locals do not submit their extension plans for approval. I however, engaged an architect to draw and submit the renovation plans proposed by my ID for approval. One of the proposed extensions did not pass regulatory requirements and the architect refused to include that into the drawings to be submitted. As I do not want to take the risk of having it torn down after inspection (since I submitted the drawing, inspection is inevitable) in case I cannot find "other ways" of circumventing that, I have decided to revise that extension plan.

If carry out without the approval from MBJBT, will there be problems in future?
Yes, many don't bother.

EDTBA

Alfrescian
Loyal
If carry out without the approval from MBJBT, will there be problems in future?
Yes, many don't bother.

I suppose its a question of luck.

While renovating my house, I transform my car porch into a a second floor balcony with some extension and was unlikely enough to be summoned by MPJBT for making modifications to the structure without a approval. I had to engage an architect firm to submit the drawing plans on top of the fees for design change and fine.

It all amounted to a few thousand ringgits, not very much compared to the overall renovation cost, but its quite a hassle.

AHGS14

Alfrescian
Loyal
I suppose its a question of luck.

While renovating my house, I transform my car porch into a a second floor balcony with some extension and was unlikely enough to be summoned by MPJBT for making modifications to the structure without a approval. I had to engage an architect firm to submit the drawing plans on top of the fees for design change and fine.

It all amounted to a few thousand ringgits, not very much compared to the overall renovation cost, but its quite a hassle.

I suppose you have done your homework that your renovation did not contravene regulatory requirements. Retroactively submitting the plans will ensure no return visits.

In the event of "illegal" renovations, the "solution" aside from tearing down the structure will be painful and may not be so straightforward. It seems architect needs to check the title to ascertain any proposed renovations, especially extensions comply with the necessary recess from the boundaries. I am not sure if Interior Designers or Contractors knows if their proposed structures comply with regulatory requirements, a great risk to assume.

EDTBA

Alfrescian
Loyal
I suppose you have done your homework that your renovation did not contravene regulatory requirements. Retroactively submitting the plans will ensure no return visits.

When discussing the design, the ID company I engaged said a permit was not required (I did ask). Being a newbie, I wrongly trusted them.

Anyway as a rule of the thumb, if the renovation involves any change to the original drawing plans from the developer, its better you talk to an architect first before proceeding. It's just not worth the hassle should MPJBT come-a-callin'.

alnine

Alfrescian
Loyal
Seeking opinion about repainting. Do we need to repaint a new house ?
One contractor told just one coat since there is primer all done up. One contractor told better to have a wash use nippon paint primer and then repaint.

Any advise ?