• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Renovation to your homes

SandySwee

Alfrescian
Loyal
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg
My common bathroom in between the bar and tv room.

freekazoid

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Need some design advice on grills.

Zest Design and Construction....is a mixed experience....and I would not recommend them.....
- Finishing standard is "can work is good enough"
- No standard checklist of complete delivery i.e. install sink should include silicon
- Delay is painful....small work takes mths
- Management is worse standard ever - Intermittent work...install kitchen cabinet....mth later install hop and hoot....week later install sink....days later install sink piping. What is worse...i have to routinely check and call the worker in to complete this task....

SandySwee

Alfrescian
Loyal

Hi Freekazoid, maybe you can post some pictures of your finished products. I have last big job to finish, that is the pool tiling works. My Pool tiles arriving end month. After that, I pretty much complete my Reno.

freekazoid

Alfrescian
Loyal

Hi Freekazoid, maybe you can post some pictures of your finished products. I have last big job to finish, that is the pool tiling works. My Pool tiles arriving end month. After that, I pretty much complete my Reno.

I'm glad you're happy with Zest...I sense Zest prioritize on bigger reno project like yours. For mine...drag and drag...no management...

Will post and share my experience in my blog.....

RedsYNWA

Alfrescian
Loyal

I'm glad you're happy with Zest...I sense Zest prioritize on bigger reno project like yours. For mine...drag and drag...no management...

Will post and share my experience in my blog.....

Actually Sandy Swee's project has been going on for ages too, if you check out her 1st thread..... At least 1.5 year or something?

SandySwee

Alfrescian
Loyal

image.jpgYes, mine is almost 2 years now but we made so many changes along the way so most delays were from alterations. Even till now, I have not made up my mind on the water feature tiles. Once there is changes and alterations, I don't expect quick job. So long a time can be arrange for works to continue. I notice their carpentry works are generally good and needs less checking. I also observed their men tend to check and confirm more with us to avoid errors this days. Sometimes we are away, the time factor gets in the way. I am not sure how patient other contractors are but definitely, do not need to know. Freekazoid, I'm not sure what's your drag were all about but was it lots of changes made and confirmation needed along the way? Furthermore, I was told this days, even the worst electrician, ceiling man, painters and others need at least a month advance booking for works. Anyway, I have done renovations for my kl and Singapore apartments, I don't expect miracles. Just real works needed. The worst would be no work done and yet lots of calling and frustrations. I have been following zest Facebook postings, saw most of their recent projects posting, most seems nice and different. There was one with wood panellng ceiling, thought that was exceptionally nice. To the owner who did it, congratulation!!! Anyway Cheers! Happy new year.
Actually Sandy Swee's project has been going on for ages too, if you check out her 1st thread..... At least 1.5 year or something?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 941
Last edited:

MFernandez

Alfrescian
Loyal
Terrible Experience with Zest Design & Construction – Beware!

Zest Design has walked off our project because we refused to pay more money (we have 5% left to pay and he has about 15% to complete).

We also discovered many problems. Badly done plumbing, gaps in the walls, unfinished plastering, incomplete staircase, leaking roof, only 1/3 waterproofing of roof, etc.

We were too trusting. It was easy to be convinced by Victor as he is well spoken, drives a Singapore-plated BMW 5-series, had a ‘pleasant’ & friendly personality. How wrong we were!

Some suggestions when engaging a contractor:
1) Include every small detail in the contract - the smallest things, - wooden railing, dock locks & handle, plumbing, window & not just frame

2) State delivery date in the contract & insist on day rate compensation. Our reno was supposed to take 4 months. It has been 11 months. Contractors take your progress payment, move workers around to another job, etc.

3) Never pay more than 25% upfront. Insist on 20% payment till after completion. We made a mistake of only holding 5% for final payment.

4) He tried to confuse us with multiple different Excel sheets, etc. When we were in dispute, we went through the records & picked up double-billing of the same item, quoting for materials that weren’t actually used, etc.

5) Take your own Measurements - Victor was charging us a larger area than the actual size he did the tiling and plastering. He was also charging us for better and different material then he actually used.

6) Make the contractor put down the deposit with Management office. Apparently common.

7) We got an outside quote for our glass doors requirements as Victor’s was too high. The difference in price between was RM8000!

8) Always double-check that your contractor indeed has the experience and expertise to do what you need safely and correctly.

9) Don’t Rush into it. We were too trusting and too “chin chai” as we were taken in by his ‘pleasant’ and friendly personality.

Good luck!

ctsbh

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Terrible Experience with Zest Design & Construction – Beware!

Rules no.1~never never believe in AGENT recommendation..:biggrin:

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal

Zest Design has walked off our project because we refused to pay more money (we have 5% left to pay and he has about 15% to complete).

We also discovered many problems. Badly done plumbing, gaps in the walls, unfinished plastering, incomplete staircase, leaking roof, only 1/3 waterproofing of roof, etc.

We were too trusting. It was easy to be convinced by Victor as he is well spoken, drives a Singapore-plated BMW 5-series, had a ‘pleasant’ & friendly personality. How wrong we were!

Some suggestions when engaging a contractor:
1) Include every small detail in the contract - the smallest things, - wooden railing, dock locks & handle, plumbing, window & not just frame

2) State delivery date in the contract & insist on day rate compensation. Our reno was supposed to take 4 months. It has been 11 months. Contractors take your progress payment, move workers around to another job, etc.

3) Never pay more than 25% upfront. Insist on 20% payment till after completion. We made a mistake of only holding 5% for final payment.

4) He tried to confuse us with multiple different Excel sheets, etc. When we were in dispute, we went through the records & picked up double-billing of the same item, quoting for materials that weren’t actually used, etc.

5) Take your own Measurements - Victor was charging us a larger area than the actual size he did the tiling and plastering. He was also charging us for better and different material then he actually used.

6) Make the contractor put down the deposit with Management office. Apparently common.

7) We got an outside quote for our glass doors requirements as Victor’s was too high. The difference in price between was RM8000!

8) Always double-check that your contractor indeed has the experience and expertise to do what you need safely and correctly.

9) Don’t Rush into it. We were too trusting and too “chin chai” as we were taken in by his ‘pleasant’ and friendly personality.

Good luck!

sorry to hear about your situation. Hope you will soon be able to find a good contractor to finish your reno.

MFernandez

Alfrescian
Loyal

Thanks Frodo. Very kind of you.

If anyone as a good cabinetry guy to recommend, can you please share your contact with me.

MFernandez

Alfrescian
Loyal

Thanks Frodo. Very kind of you.

If anyone as a good cabinetry guy to recommend, can you please share your contact with me.

alnine

Alfrescian
Loyal

Looking for landscaping. Mainly to turf up the garden. Any recommendation ?
I am also looking at doing artificial turf if not too ex. Have anyone use this company Empire grass and landscaping ?
Thanks.

vincentck

Alfrescian
Loyal
Zest Design has walked off our project because we refused to pay more money (we have 5% left to pay and he has about 15% to complete). We also discovered many problems. Badly done plumbing, gaps in the walls, unfinished plastering, incomplete staircase, leaking roof, only 1/3 waterproofing of roof, etc. We were too trusting. It was easy to be convinced by Victor as he is well spoken, drives a Singapore-plated BMW 5-series, had a ‘pleasant’ & friendly personality. How wrong we were!
Sorry to hear about your situation. Zest Design was one of my shortlisted contractors back in April 2013, only because he could speak good English. But I didn't select him because he was slow to respond to me and he talked more than he listened to my ideas. I couldn't work with a contractor who doesn't listened because I had some firm ideas of how I wanted my renovation to be done. In the end, I chose Top Life & Design to perform renovation works up to an amount of RM330k. This contractor, Lee, speaks passable English and he was willing to listen first and offer his suggestions on how it can be done. His sub-contractors' work wasn't perfect and we spend a good amount of time getting the work to be perfected, but Lee was always willing to improve the work.

It has been 7 months since the final work was done and 5 months since my final payment to him. He has come once to fix a small problem and will be coming again to solve the water leakage problem that has happened before. I wouldn't mind using him again for my next renovation, but I'll be more specific on the things I want and the quality I expect.