• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Puteri Harbour Community

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi...Nice to hear from you again. I didn't mention you advocated owning multiple properties in Iskandar? :smile: But I do know of one guy in the forum who had said he bought a house and 2-3 condos there cos of his enthusiasm that Iskandar will do well and he wants to go against the thinking of the general public. I personally don't think it's wise based on his reasoning but if he has the money, I suppose no one can stop him.

I think before buying a property, one has to establish his or her position first. Are you an investor who wants to make a sensible choice while managing the exposure to risks, or are you a buyer who doesn't need facts/data to justify your purchase cos you are a multi-millionaire, or are you going to live there, etc?

Iskandar is only one of many examples of housing that is cheaper compared to Singapore. If you look at other countries, you can also buy say a 3,000sq ft house with a nice garden for S$400k. But will you rush to buy the property there? Maybe yes, or maybe not. It all depends on your position as I mentioned above. If you think if you are rich enough, even though the place is not well-known, you might buy. Another buyer who thinks the country is too far away or has political instability will likely not buy.

The bottom line is, it doesn't do justice to rush out to buy a property just because it is so much cheaper than Singapore's or because it is near to us. I'm looking from the point of view of a sensible investor with limited capital who wants to put this money to wise use. We are surrounded by other 3rd world countries other than Malaysia. There are also other properties around us which are so much cheaper.

I do understand that some are confident about Iskandar because of the plans that are in place and things that will be set up there. But as an investor, I would go beyond that. To me, I have to see my needs and objectives are met first. I'm not going to care first about how many businesses will be set up there, that a wellness center, hospital, etc will be there. My Number 1 concern is: When I buy that property, I want it to make money for me. If it doesn't, it is a liability and it will cause me to be poorer.

So if Iskandar is being developed, what then could go wrong with investing a home there? The problem with it is, as I've explained, the supply of properties is far too many compared to the amenities and businesses being built. Before one business is completed, a few new residential projects come in. When they are completed, more condos are built, but the demand cannot catch with up the supply. So how can the property make money? I've just read in Medini, another new mixed development with a lot more residential units is coming up. This is even before the thousands of new condos have completed! That's not a good sign for an investor. Because it will mean rental will suffer. As it is, rental is bad now. So projecting several years down the road, it can only get worse.

Coming back to Puteri Harbour, one has to ask: Are you going to fork out S$400k by the mere fact that you can get a high view of some water which cannot be bought in Singapore for the same sum? If money is not a concern to you, meaning if the property cause you to lose money but financially you can take it, then there is no issue with it. But this case is not interesting to discuss because if one has lots of money, he can buy anything he likes, even if the decision is unjustified or silly.

From the point of view of a careful investor who wants to maximise his returns and make an informed decision, it's likely a no go based on the analyses I've given. The risks of not making money from the property is far too high compared to the little possible returns one might get. It will become like an expensive pretty flower vase you put at home but with little or no future value.

Buying a property is about managing risks in one's investment. I think the misleading part is that supporters think the naysayers don't believe that Iskandar is progressing. That's the big mistake I made when I went in. I have friends who advised me to be careful. But I told them, Can't you see Iskandar will have amusement parks, hospitals, shopping centers, etc. It will be vibrant. How can a property I buy there not boom?

Obviously, I did not consider the more important factor of the oversupply of condos and the fact that the demand will not catch up with the huge oversupply. I also did not consider the political uncertainty in Malaysia and the fact that the weak RM currency is not to a foreigner's advantage. You may be buying low as a foreigner but without demand, and if you want to sell next time, you're making a loss overall or worse, you may be stuck with a liability without a way to dispose of the property. I also left out an important factor: The rental in JB is not fantastic. Good new for tenants, bad news for buyers trying to rent out their properties in an oversupply climate that will last for a very long time.

Does the reasoning make sense...?

Your reasoning was not meant for those who bought to stay, but was targeted towards the investors having the profile of Singaporeans living comfortably in Singapore and having some money (or lots of it for that matter) to invest in properties, whether local or overseas. These people want to park their money somewhere to earn returns, and if properties are in mind, then rentals must be of top concern. For such people, your reasoning would be that investing in JB properties (especially condos) would be foolish in view of oversupply, primarily because rentals would either be very low or non-existent to justify the investment.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
I go in and out every weekend and sometimes stay at KSL hotel I don't really miss a thing enjoying life in JB too as I would not be able to take the hassles of the jam daily.

Well, that’s because I think you are happy staying put in Singapore. In my case, continuing to stay in our HDB flat was becoming increasingly difficult due to lack of living space. Any upgrade would mean looking at atrocious cut-throat HDB prices that would make us worst off for sure. Sure we do go in and out of JB enough to enjoy it, but we are quickly jolted back into our mundane HDB reality once we enter back into Singapore. There is no quality living if we have to look forward to enjoying JB once a week or a few times a month but frown on living conditions in Singapore. Before we moved over I also thought it was crazy to commute with the kind of traffic….but on hindsight, I see now that this is less crazy compared to missing out the other things we enjoy ever since we moved over. LOL! With our move to JB we enjoy so much more…that we don’t even like to come back to Singapore anymore. I mean…I balk at the price I am paying for lunch and meals in Singapore. Half a roasted chicken costs $15, but that translates to RM45 which can get me one bird (chai yuan ji), or 1.5 chicken if I buy Wang Wang Chicken. I don’t enjoy spending money in Singapore anymore….LOL!

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
There's one big diff betwn Iskanda and other countries. Its very near SG so we can visit frens n relatives easily n hv access to good health care under the Medishield cover.

For many of us, the big difference is that we can still work in SGP and while living in JB. No way we can do it in other countries.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
actually i also thot of getting a bike to go in & out of JB but scared of accidents...

Confront your fears....ride safely....keep checking blind spot....

Ironically my last recent accident was not in JB but in Singapore. Not caused by Malaysian biker but Singapore biker.:rolleyes: I stopped at traffic light but this uncle buang my rear and sent me flying. I was like...what the hell man....3 lanes wide and no vehicles left and right but you had to aim for me? Maybe he was using me to stop his bike...LOL!

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal
Your reasoning was not meant for those who bought to stay, but was targeted towards the investors having the profile of Singaporeans living comfortably in Singapore and having some money (or lots of it for that matter) to invest in properties, whether local or overseas. These people want to park their money somewhere to earn returns, and if properties are in mind, then rentals must be of top concern. For such people, your reasoning would be that investing in JB properties (especially condos) would be foolish in view of oversupply, primarily because rentals would either be very low or non-existent to justify the investment.

Sgcount, I am a bit surprised that a person of your caliber and with detailed analysis and reasoning invested in Iskandar with a sole intention of making good rental returns. You should then be investing in places like London where the rent culture is aplenty against property ownership.

Iskandar is for people who hold it for long term and immediate returns is not a critical factor. The master plan of Iskandar is modeled similar to what Shenzhen is to Hong Kong, in this case Singapore. It is supposed to be the hinterland.
It is not a matter of rich and poor. I know a few guys who invested in London 1 room apartment about GBP 400,000 and even financed by Singapore banks. And they are enjoying good rental returns.

In my opinion, investing of any properties is a matter of choice. Some invest to make money, some to move money abroad, some buy to have a holiday home overseas or for their children to stay when they go to universities yet some buy for retirement. And many buy to hedge against inflation. There are many intangibles that physical money cannot buy like quality of life.

So it is not correct to say investing in Iskandar is a bad move regardless of wealth or over supply.

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sgcount, I am a bit surprised that a person of your caliber and with detailed analysis and reasoning invested in Iskandar with a sole intention of making good rental returns. You should then be investing in places like London where the rent culture is aplenty against property ownership.

Iskandar is for people who hold it for long term and immediate returns is not a critical factor. The master plan of Iskandar is modeled similar to what Shenzhen is to Hong Kong, in this case Singapore. It is supposed to be the hinterland.
It is not a matter of rich and poor. I know a few guys who invested in London 1 room apartment about GBP 400,000 and even financed by Singapore banks. And they are enjoying good rental returns.

In my opinion, investing of any properties is a matter of choice. Some invest to make money, some to move money abroad, some buy to have a holiday home overseas or for their children to stay when they go to universities yet some buy for retirement. And many buy to hedge against inflation. There are many intangibles that physical money cannot buy like quality of life.

So it is not correct to say investing in Iskandar is a bad move regardless of wealth or over supply.

For UK, you did mention about inheritance tax of 40%, that is a killer, so far OZ does not have that, anyway I buy in OZ for self stay.

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal
For UK, you did mention about inheritance tax of 40%, that is a killer, so far OZ does not have that, anyway I buy in OZ for self stay.

Aiyah...u buy with a company ..The sons will inherit shares of the company that own the house. So no inheritance tax. I also buy it for own stay.
Difference is UK have no FIC but Oz got. Small units in Oz is easy to sell to locals. Big units is a bit difficult. But you buy for own stay, so no problems.
Both countries got pros and cons.

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal
Aiyah...u buy with a company ..The sons will inherit shares of the company that own the house. So no inheritance tax. I also buy it for own stay.
Difference is UK have no FIC but Oz got. Small units in Oz is easy to sell to locals. Big units is a bit difficult. But you buy for own stay, so no problems.
Both countries got pros and cons.

Attachments

• london.JPG
    london.JPG
    27.6 KB · Views: 786
Last edited:

menghuii

Alfrescian
Loyal
Confront your fears....ride safely....keep checking blind spot....

Ironically my last recent accident was not in JB but in Singapore. Not caused by Malaysian biker but Singapore biker.:rolleyes: I stopped at traffic light but this uncle buang my rear and sent me flying. I was like...what the hell man....3 lanes wide and no vehicles left and right but you had to aim for me? Maybe he was using me to stop his bike...LOL!

frodo, take care man, you still have the dark lord sauron to take on.

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes always better to invest in such countries.

And I also bought PH Encorp 2 roomer a few months earlier in March 2013 earlier. No regrets. Why?

If there's capital appreciation, I am happy.
If it depreciate, I take it the depreciation as expense for enjoyment on my holiday home.
It is the same as car depreciation. A luxury German car depreciate as much as 70% on the 5th year.

My simple rule is I must enjoy the process of investment. If it give me pain and agony, then it is better not to do it. Or maybe to start something smaller. Small is beautiful at times.

Last edited:

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal
And I also bought PH Encorp 2 roomer a few months earlier in March 2013 earlier. No regrets. Why?

If there's capital appreciation, I am happy.
If it depreciate, I take it the depreciation as expense for enjoyment on my holiday home.
It is the same as car depreciation. A luxury German car depreciate as much as 70% on the 5th year.

My simple rule is I must enjoy the process of investment. If it give me pain and agony, then it is better not to do it. Or maybe to start something smaller. Small is beautiful at times.

You can take the hits, I cannot lol.

Stimpy

Alfrescian
Loyal
frodo, take care man, you still have the dark lord sauron to take on.

I had the exact same experience. Spent a day doing a big circuit through Malacca. Got back to sg, fifty yards from my condo, parked at a red light, waiting to turn right In a filter lane and some woman just drove into the back of me, sent me flying.

Infuriating that she just got out and mumbled how she was trying to turn back out of my lane.
First words out of her mouth should have been either 'sorry' or 'are you ok'?

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why do you say that?

FED reviewing their interest rate hike in December
1MDB President to face Public Accounts Committee on 2/12
Najib RM2.6 billion "donation" details to be disclosed in Parliment on 3/12
Expect fireworks on last day of Parliment sitting on 3/12

Oil prices is not the only factor that is hitting RM.
FED interest, China Yuan / economy and lack of confidence in Malaysian politics is affecting RM forex.

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
FED reviewing their interest rate hike in December
1MDB President to face Public Accounts Committee on 2/12
Najib RM2.6 billion "donation" details to be disclosed in Parliment on 3/12
Expect fireworks on last day of Parliment sitting on 3/12

Oil prices is not the only factor that is hitting RM.
FED interest, China Yuan / economy and lack of confidence in Malaysian politics is affecting RM forex.

RM is hovering around 3.07 these few days. These news should have negative impact on RM and cause it to weaken. I'm holding back from TT until near rate hike announcement in Dec. For those interested, DBS has free TT online banking to MY until end of this year.