• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Puteri Harbour Community

sgcount

Alfrescian
Loyal
To be rather frank I am in the "definitely pathetic" category. Haiz.....

That's why you have moved to JB! :smile:

The "definitely pathetic" part was to reaffirm what Investor888 had mentioned in his previous post.

It is still possible to get by in Singapore quite comfortably with $5-6k a month if one is single with little commitment. But for a family with kids, it's tough. The qualification in my previous post was that it's "pathetic" if one wants to have a BETTER quality of life.

With that kind of salary -- $5-6k a month, sacrifices and changes in lifestyle have to be made if one wants to live in expensive Singapore, eg likely not buy a car, take fewer faraway overseas vacations, don't sign up extra courses and activities for your kids, renovate your home simply, live in a more cramped 4 room flat instead of a more comfortable 5 room flat, etc.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
That's why you have moved to JB! :smile:

The "definitely pathetic" part was to reaffirm what Investor888 had mentioned in his previous post.

It is still possible to get by in Singapore quite comfortably with $5-6k a month if one is single with little commitment. But for a family with kids, it's tough. The qualification in my previous post was that it's "pathetic" if one wants to have a BETTER quality of life.

With that kind of salary -- $5-6k a month, sacrifices and changes in lifestyle have to be made if one wants to live in expensive Singapore, eg likely not buy a car, take fewer faraway overseas vacations, don't sign up extra courses and activities for your kids, renovate your home simply, live in a more cramped 4 room flat instead of a more comfortable 5 room flat, etc.

Yup, with the "definitely pathetic" household income, even our last overseas vacation (JB not counted!) was in 2013, and only made possible because we were able to cash out kid's baby bonus (govt matching $1 for $1) under the scheme's transitional arrangements. That's how pathetic I am! The cramped 4 room HDB we lived in has stayed the same since we bought in late 90s, only renovation since then was that the govt upgraded our toilets "for free" (using my CPF money so no cash out). Pathetic! But moving over to JB, I could get another source of rental income from HDB which also finance our JB home mortgage, and the rest go into paying other household expenses. Truth is, only by moving over to JB then can have this rental income and have a little bit more. Still pathetic but definitely better than before lor...If we had remained in Singapore it would have meant that our living conditions also remained the same...still definitely pathetic but not any better. Now you know why I say I am peasant life...:(

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
I feel it's just too fast in Singapore. Even if it's inevitable, the SG government should ensure the infrastructure (more reliable MRT system, sufficient hospital beds, TRULY affordable HDB flats for commoners) are well taken care of and that citizens' lives are not drastically affected. If they want to cause the property prices to increase tremendously, go ahead. Make the private condo prices shoot up through the roofs. Let the rich play among themselves and dabble in it. But to allow HDB flat prices to shoot up by hundreds of thousands within a few years, and claim they are still "affordable", I think that's irresponsible.

Anyway, other big cities like Tokyo, London, NY are huge. People can easily move out to live in the outskirts. Singapore doesn't have "outskirts". Perhaps it is Iskandar?!

In the past, back in in the late 90's and early 2000, when I traveled to big cities like Japan, I was always glad to be back in Singapore -- my home. Because things here were much cheaper and places were less crowded, compared to say Tokyo.

We also remember those days when the Japanese were seen as the rich and they were often spotted in Orchard Road shopping for expensive goods. Today, Singapore is no different from Tokyo, in that the MRT train stations are almost constantly crowded, food has become expensive, properties become so much smaller and their prices unaffordable. I don't miss Singapore any more when I am overseas. And I also don't feel there is anything special about being a Singaporean. I just feel like I am a "global citizen".

My family also don't miss Singapore....we can have everything we want in JB and more, well almost everything..:p

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yup, with the "definitely pathetic" household income, even our last overseas vacation (JB not counted!) was in 2013, and only made possible because we were able to cash out kid's baby bonus (govt matching $1 for $1) under the scheme's transitional arrangements. That's how pathetic I am! The cramped 4 room HDB we lived in has stayed the same since we bought in late 90s, only renovation since then was that the govt upgraded our toilets "for free" (using my CPF money so no cash out). Pathetic! But moving over to JB, I could get another source of rental income from HDB which also finance our JB home mortgage, and the rest go into paying other household expenses. Truth is, only by moving over to JB then can have this rental income and have a little bit more. Still pathetic but definitely better than before lor...If we had remained in Singapore it would have meant that our living conditions also remained the same...still definitely pathetic but not any better. Now you know why I say I am peasant life...:(

I really admire your thriftiness, dun worry you will reap benefits at the end, many earn more and really don't control and these people will not have enough money to retire with. I am not shy to say that I limit my breakfast and lunch to $4 every day in Singapore. I do lavish on weekends though.

All my properties fully paid, car also fully paid. No loans or instalments, except for my Samsung Galaxy Tab S2, forced by Challenger to take credit card loan for the $200 discount ha ha ha ha

jasonjst

Alfrescian
Loyal
I feel it's just too fast in Singapore. Even if it's inevitable, the SG government should ensure the infrastructure (more reliable MRT system, sufficient hospital beds, TRULY affordable HDB flats for commoners) are well taken care of and that citizens' lives are not drastically affected. If they want to cause the property prices to increase tremendously, go ahead. Make the private condo prices shoot up through the roofs. Let the rich play among themselves and dabble in it. But to allow HDB flat prices to shoot up by hundreds of thousands within a few years, and claim they are still "affordable", I think that's irresponsible.

Anyway, other big cities like Tokyo, London, NY are huge. People can easily move out to live in the outskirts. Singapore doesn't have "outskirts". Perhaps it is Iskandar?!

In the past, back in in the late 90's and early 2000, when I traveled to big cities like Japan, I was always glad to be back in Singapore -- my home. Because things here were much cheaper and places were less crowded, compared to say Tokyo.

We also remember those days when the Japanese were seen as the rich and they were often spotted in Orchard Road shopping for expensive goods. Today, Singapore is no different from Tokyo, in that the MRT train stations are almost constantly crowded, food has become expensive, properties become so much smaller and their prices unaffordable. I don't miss Singapore any more when I am overseas. And I also don't feel there is anything special about being a Singaporean. I just feel like I am a "global citizen".

I worst, feel like a 2nd class Citizen leh :(

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
I really admire your thriftiness, dun worry you will reap benefits at the end, many earn more and really don't control and these people will not have enough money to retire with. I am not shy to say that I limit my breakfast and lunch to $4 every day in Singapore. I do lavish on weekends though.

All my properties fully paid, car also fully paid. No loans or instalments, except for my Samsung Galaxy Tab S2, forced by Challenger to take credit card loan for the $200 discount ha ha ha ha

We try to be more careful on more expensive items though when it comes to food in JB we are more lax..LOL! But expenses seems always to be on the rise so continually have to find ways to cut down. Based on current conditions I won't have money to retire with....pretty much the same if I were still staying in Singapore. But perhaps a consolation would be that if I really do need the money at retirement age maybe can sell away HDB lor....as last resort. Anyway, still got some time before retirement knocks on the door...so hopefully by then Iskandar huat liao...can rent out condo for decent rental...or financials are better with loans significantly paid down. Good that you have no loans to service. I also wish I have no loans to service. Haiz...:o

tstar

Alfrescian
Loyal
i think you do not have to worry about retirement. as long as you do not have hdb loan and have paid a significant portion of your jb house loan, you can certainly retire comfortably in jb. if you estimate hdn rental income, that is pretty decent about 300 k for ten years and sufficient to maintain a good living standard in jb.

even my china friends are doing the same thing.they buy jb houses except they stilll live in sg. Several china phds in our company do the calculation and try to extrapolate the living cost based on past data assuming a dimishing or no come once one hits 50.

after all, it is safer to buy a house than buy stock. and it is definitely more comfortable than share a tiny hdb flat with strangers. life is more than eating and drinking. one needs privacy and dignity especially when getting old.

We try to be more careful on more expensive items though when it comes to food in JB we are more lax..LOL! But expenses seems always to be on the rise so continually have to find ways to cut down. Based on current conditions I won't have money to retire with....pretty much the same if I were still staying in Singapore. But perhaps a consolation would be that if I really do need the money at retirement age maybe can sell away HDB lor....as last resort. Anyway, still got some time before retirement knocks on the door...so hopefully by then Iskandar huat liao...can rent out condo for decent rental...or financials are better with loans significantly paid down. Good that you have no loans to service. I also wish I have no loans to service. Haiz...:o

Last edited:

sgcount

Alfrescian
Loyal
i think you do not have to worry about retirement. as long as you do not have hdb loan and have paid a significant portion of your jb house loan, you can certainly retire comfortably in jb. if you estimate hdn rental income, that is pretty decent about 300 k for ten years and sufficient to maintain a good living standard in jb.

even my china friends are doing the same thing.they buy jb houses except they stilll live in sg. Several china phds in our company do the calculation and try to extrapolate the living cost based on past data assuming a dimishing or no come once one hits 50.

after all, it is safer to buy a house than buy stock. and it is definitely more comfortable than share a tiny hdb flat with strangers. life is more than eating and drinking. one needs privacy and dignity especially when getting old.

Are your China friends thinking of renting out their JB houses in future, or have they already rented them out now?

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal

As a single income earner with family to feed, there isn't really much for me to plan for in terms of retirement. I am not hoping to retire with $1 million in my bank account because I just don't think that will happen. So for now just live day by day until financials pick up after a while then see how lor. As for HDB loan, after making some partial capital repayments I am down to less than $10K owing. Before the year is over I should be able to kill it. Have been servicing purely from CPF so no need to top up cash anywhere. But if I have bought another HDB instead of moving to JB, confirm my CPF sure not enough to service the monthly instalment one. Then I will be worst off!:(

tstar

Alfrescian
Loyal
Are your China friends thinking of renting out their JB houses in future, or have they already rented them out now?

a colleague has a superlink at hh. she has rented out to expatriates.

another colleague has moved her parents in law to her jb house. cause her own parents live in sg. it is impossible to pack many people in a hdb flat.

most of them just keep houses for weekends/holidays, and they intend to move to jb when kids go to uni. they are new citizens and need visa to stay long term in china. Jb is unique in its location as it is closest to sg.

rm1 mil is 1.4mil china yuan. barely enough to buy a kitchen in beijing or a studio in shen zhen. they are not worried about jb's future at all.

Last edited:

Investor888

Alfrescian
Loyal
My family also don't miss Singapore....we can have everything we want in JB and more, well almost everything..:p

Err.. I seriously don't give Singapore a DAMN once I am enjoying life in JB. Even they say you will miss "Singapore safety" etc but cmon, JB is seriously not that DANGEROUS till u can get robbed so easily

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Err.. I seriously don't give Singapore a DAMN once I am enjoying life in JB. Even they say you will miss "Singapore safety" etc but cmon, JB is seriously not that DANGEROUS till u can get robbed so easily

I always look forward to going home to JB and do not like leaving JB home to go Singapore.

sgcount

Alfrescian
Loyal
I always look forward to going home to JB and do not like leaving JB home to go Singapore.

Wow... really ar?! :smile:

I know what you mean. I hate the crowds, the jam-packed trains, so hard to walk without the risk of bumping into someone. I hate the expensive and small portion food. Small cup of milo already costs S$1.50-S$1.60. Can't see or imagine my retirement. Every morning it's wake up and walk like a programmed robot to the packed MRT station to take train to work. I need the money.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal

I know what you mean. I hate the crowds, the jam-packed trains, so hard to walk without the risk of bumping into someone. I hate the expensive and small portion food. Small cup of milo already costs S$1.50-S$1.60. Can't see or imagine my retirement. Every morning it's wake up and walk like a programmed robot to the packed MRT station to take train to work. I need the money.

Really one lah...it feels good once I crossed the CIQ into JB. It's like entering the promised land...LOL! Nice and cheap food are in abundance, can whack diesel at RM1.70 per litre, can enjoy a large house etc.....now I can't bear to eat chicken rice in Singapore as I can buy one whole steam chicken for just RM30...Like you I need the money so the daily commute is a baptism of traffic that I have to endure each working day...but it's worth it overall. Sometimes when it is past midnight I would just be standing outside the gates to just take in the whole thing and thank God for making it possible for us to enjoy the things we could only dream of having in Singapore.

Last edited:

snowbird

Alfrescian
Loyal

Actually, your complaints are similar to a typical Malaysian too and also many others in cities elsewhere.
Everything has to be relative when you make comparison.
Here in MY, a fresh graduate executive is getting only about RM2,000 and he is also complaining that his milo ice is costing rm1.80 now and the nasi campor is getting more expensive and in smaller portion too.
In other big cities like New York, London, Tokyo, Shanghai, most people including bankers take the subway for convenience and its even more packed, worse then here in SG so they should complain louder?

For a regular guy, we all need to work to earn money, no other choice
Some are better off with a good job that pays well, others go into business to make more money but the majority are the regular salaried people with a fixed monthly pay.
For the less successful ones, they probably need to look back and ask why they were stuck in a certain category with little progress thru the years.
A friend of mine has only an O level yet he manage to have an average income of at least $80,000/mth. for many years.
He is in his late 30s and he is a property agent.
How come some property agents or financial planners can be so successful while some can never make it?
Its not the job or the product because the product and the job is the same for all but the person doing that job is different.

You should be glad that you still have a job, never mind "it's wake up and walk like a programmed robot".
Maybe you can try getting another more interesting job that don't need you to becoming a robot?

snowbird

Alfrescian
Loyal
Really one lah...it feels good once I crossed the CIQ into JB. It's like entering the promised land...LOL! Nice and cheap food are in abundance, can whack diesel at RM1.70 per litre, can enjoy a large house etc.....now I can't bear to eat chicken rice in Singapore as I can buy one whole steam chicken for just RM30...Like you I need the money so the daily commute is a baptism of traffic that I have to endure each working day...but it's worth it overall. Sometimes when it is past midnight I would just be standing outside the gates to just take in the whole thing and thank God for making it possible for us to enjoy the things we could only dream of having in Singapore.

Aren't we lucky that just 10 mins away, things can be so different?
A KFC meal is only RM9.95 when a similar one back home is $6.00.........hopeful things remain like this for a long long time to come.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Aren't we lucky that just 10 mins away, things can be so different?
A KFC meal is only RM9.95 when a similar one back home is $6.00.........hopeful things remain like this for a long long time to come.

I got a KFC mailer from my HDB flat mail box a couple of days ago. Discount coupons say 5 piece chicken@$11. In JB, if I recall the menu price of 5 pieces of chicken was about RM20. Normal price in JB even cheaper than using a coupon in Singapore!:eek:

ECboy

Alfrescian
Loyal
KFC in SG doesn't taste as nice for some reason. Malaysia one much better. Not biased to any country but i feel it is so.

However, in MY, service speed is nuts. I once waited for about 25 minutes for my meal in KFC holiday plaza coz the young staff was working at a snails pace. Those old aunties in McD SG are super performance driven, meals arrive in like 15 secs.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
KFC in SG doesn't taste as nice for some reason. Malaysia one much better. Not biased to any country but i feel it is so.

However, in MY, service speed is nuts. I once waited for about 25 minutes for my meal in KFC holiday plaza coz the young staff was working at a snails pace. Those old aunties in McD SG are super performance driven, meals arrive in like 15 secs.

Yes, the KFC in Malaysia do taste better than Singapore. And true also that generally they seem to be working at sloth speed. LOL! Very seldom see staff moving quickly. The que can be long...like going through customs. LOL!

Investor888

Alfrescian
Loyal
Haha I have the same feeling!!!!!!!!! No joke!!!! I love the feeling of reaching my house in JB, waiting for my autogate to open and I drive my car up to the car pouch, get out and there you are the door is there.

Ang Mo chu is simply different. I envy those Malaysian friends who grew up in landed houses and drive cars when Singaporeans worship (cars and landed houses ) since young.