• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Puteri Harbour Community

Stimpy

Alfrescian
Loyal
Really a stupid law. Maybe the 4 Muslim witnesses could be rapists themselves!

If such a law is passed, there will be potentially more crimes committed in Malaysia, especially against the non-Muslims.

As it is now, some investments are already stuck.

One non-Malaysian told me recently he can't sell his property now cos he is stuck with the RM1mil rule. Another Singaporean told me he is trying hard to rent or sell his Johor condo at the same price he had bought 4 years ago but there are no takers.

Yep - that's the driver for the declining Chinese population someone talked about earlier. Growing conservatism is a negative. Fortunately, Johor stands out as a place where the politicians make an effort for 'inclusive' communities, rather than cheap shots aimed at bolstering their support from rabid 'malay pride' quarters.

Investor888

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes, time will reveal those who never buy are crazy. S$2 million for a Sentosa-type bungalow which cost $20 million on Sentosa ( today the cheapest type is just sold by Benjamin Sheares offsprings for S$6 million estimated but its damn small ) Till now I still feel sour the manager did not accept my 5-digit under-the-table to give me a unit there because Sentosa agents are quoting me S$10 million and above which obviously I don't have that kind of money.

Wah... Rm6m & fully sold.
These people are crazy or what?
Anyway time will reveal if they are Crazy.

:cool:

Investor888

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi, I plan to retire in 5-10 years time as my sons will be graduating from uni. However, as you know they will be competing with tons of FTs and even though they are consistently placed in the Dean's List, I am of the opinion that I might need to slog for at least another 15-20 years.

My sons plan to teach. And as you know, a fresh teacher pay is at best S$3500. My friend who is a Principal of a top school ( young scholar ) is only paid $10k+. After his 2 kids education, a Nissan Sunny and a wife and some thousand to his CPF which he might never recover, he has not much savings. I fear for my own kids.

Investor888, are you already retired or soon to be retired?

Yes, SG properties don't make sense for own stay any more. The rich will still buy though cos they believe the value is there.

mpan12

Alfrescian
Loyal
Too many graduates in SG as the years go by. As you know, they have increased the number of local university admissions recently.

In the good old days of 1970s and 1980s, you need good grades at A levels to get into a uni. These days, you can score D's and E's, there is a university place for you. Worse case, if the grades suck totally but you have money, can always consider those private or overseas universities.

I asked my young colleagues what they had learned in university. Turns out these days, lecturers give them exam tips on what will be tested, most questions are recycled from past years, some are direct straight out from their homework. There's little standard. How not to score A's easily? Even if you are not so good student, you will score at least a B or C. Only the totally uninterested will get F.

So if your kids graduate locally with Dean's List placing every year, or score a string of A's, it means little. The real talents companies will be searching for in this new era is people who are not exam smart but creative and daring. Information is available readily online. A 10-year old kid can tell you about computers, astronomy, or dinosaurs more than what we learned previously at school. It's no big deal.

I think we are heading in the way of HK, Japan, Korea, Taiwan where many graduates take a long time to find jobs or are lowly paid. So it's not only a phenomenon in Singapore. Our parents who were less educated than us could probably own a nice big 150sq m Executive HDB flat or condo and drive a 2.0l car all fully paid. But graduates in their early 30's take on 30 years loan to pay for their small 80 sq m 4-room and maybe own no car or a small car only.

The way forward is not just a university education. The Civil Service and other top companies are looking for creativity, leadership, and graduates from the better top of the top universities like Harvard, MIT, Cambridge, etc. Singapore unis are overrated in my humble opinion. The very good ones won't study here, or they eventually will get their higher degrees overseas.

Anyway, getting degrees is no longer the best way to make money in jobs. You see so many non-grads these days become millionaires. But the exam-smart kid who took the safe but boring path of A levels --> uni --> work work work end up being much poorer!

The irony of life....

Hi, I plan to retire in 5-10 years time as my sons will be graduating from uni. However, as you know they will be competing with tons of FTs and even though they are consistently placed in the Dean's List, I am of the opinion that I might need to slog for at least another 15-20 years.

My sons plan to teach. And as you know, a fresh teacher pay is at best S$3500. My friend who is a Principal of a top school ( young scholar ) is only paid $10k+. After his 2 kids education, a Nissan Sunny and a wife and some thousand to his CPF which he might never recover, he has not much savings. I fear for my own kids.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Too many graduates in SG as the years go by. As you know, they have increased the number of local university admissions recently.

In the good old days of 1970s and 1980s, you need good grades at A levels to get into a uni. These days, you can score D's and E's, there is a university place for you. Worse case, if the grades suck totally but you have money, can always consider those private or overseas universities.

I asked my young colleagues what they had learned in university. Turns out these days, lecturers give them exam tips on what will be tested, most questions are recycled from past years, some are direct straight out from their homework. There's little standard. How not to score A's easily? Even if you are not so good student, you will score at least a B or C. Only the totally uninterested will get F.

So if your kids graduate locally with Dean's List placing every year, or score a string of A's, it means little. The real talents companies will be searching for in this new era is people who are not exam smart but creative and daring. Information is available readily online. A 10-year old kid can tell you about computers, astronomy, or dinosaurs more than what we learned previously at school. It's no big deal.

I think we are heading in the way of HK, Japan, Korea, Taiwan where many graduates take a long time to find jobs or are lowly paid. So it's not only a phenomenon in Singapore. Our parents who were less educated than us could probably own a nice big 150sq m Executive HDB flat or condo and drive a 2.0l car all fully paid. But graduates in their early 30's take on 30 years loan to pay for their small 80 sq m 4-room and maybe own no car or a small car only.

The way forward is not just a university education. The Civil Service and other top companies are looking for creativity, leadership, and graduates from the better top of the top universities like Harvard, MIT, Cambridge, etc. Singapore unis are overrated in my humble opinion. The very good ones won't study here, or they eventually will get their higher degrees overseas.

Anyway, getting degrees is no longer the best way to make money in jobs. You see so many non-grads these days become millionaires. But the exam-smart kid who took the safe but boring path of A levels --> uni --> work work work end up being much poorer!

The irony of life....

That's why many say it's tough in Singapore! Joining the education rat race in Singapore for many only result in a lifetime of servitude where we seek to exchange time for money from employers.:o

mpan12

Alfrescian
Loyal
That's why many say it's tough in Singapore! Joining the education rat race in Singapore for many only result in a lifetime of servitude where we seek to exchange time for money from employers.:o

So it's time to think and do differently! I no longer see the traditional university education strictly as a passport to better life.

menghuii

Alfrescian
Loyal
So it's time to think and do differently! I no longer see the traditional university education strictly as a passport to better life.

the think is when u r studying u believe its essential but not after u start work. the people who benefits selling this essentials are the biz educational men. its the circle of life.

rotikok

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes, time will reveal those who never buy are crazy. S$2 million for a Sentosa-type bungalow which cost $20 million on Sentosa ( today the cheapest type is just sold by Benjamin Sheares offsprings for S$6 million estimated but its damn small ) Till now I still feel sour the manager did not accept my 5-digit under-the-table to give me a unit there because Sentosa agents are quoting me S$10 million and above which obviously I don't have that kind of money.

Logic fallacy. Anything goes up in value make an investment wise, be it $2m or $20m. Just because something in sg is exp and similar thing in jb is cheap, doesnt guarantee the cheaper one will go up in value. If ultra rich prefer sentosa cove, $20m still got room to grow, see hong kong. If all desperate singaporean wanting such bungalow and end up iskandar able to churn out as many as they want, then $2m is way too crazily expensive.

rotikok

Alfrescian
Loyal

"I am planning to stay myself in my condos. Its S$400k and suitable for poor man like me from Singapore as I was quoted S$2.8 million for a similar condo with around the same view in Singapore city centre. Seriously, I don't have the kind of money and I told the property agents not to waste time on me."

Familiar?

Investor888

Alfrescian
Loyal
I do agree that there are non-graduates earning big bucks. But in general, most earning big bucks are still degree holders ( not that big bucks but $3k and abv ). I got only PSLE so of course I want my kids to have a stable life ahead and not to wory about whether share prices or properties prices are shooting up or down!

The irony of life....

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal
I do agree that there are non-graduates earning big bucks. But in general, most earning big bucks are still degree holders ( not that big bucks but $3k and abv ). I got only PSLE so of course I want my kids to have a stable life ahead and not to wory about whether share prices or properties prices are shooting up or down!

The irony is some of these non graduates eventually became businessmen while the smart graduates became accountants and engineers as life time wage earners. In the end, they work for these non graduate businessmen.

Dfiris

Alfrescian
Loyal
and these non-grad successful businessmen in their interviews always like to say their only regret in life is not having "enuf" education... lol

Last edited:

ECboy

Alfrescian
Loyal
The irony is some of these non graduates eventually became businessmen while the smart graduates became accountants and engineers as life time wage earners. In the end, they work for these non graduate businessmen.

A lot of non-graduates start their own successful business, yes, but there are tons that are useless too, I'm in the hiring business. Same goes for Uni grads, there are useless ones too but the chances for success is higher, a degree guarantees you to a certain level, but rest is up to them. But times are changing, even grads find it hard to compete nowadays and venturing into business. Added with their strong education foundation, some of them are very very successful.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
A lot of non-graduates start their own successful business, yes, but there are tons that are useless too, I'm in the hiring business. Same goes for Uni grads, there are useless ones too but the chances for success is higher, a degree guarantees you to a certain level, but rest is up to them. But times are changing, even grads find it hard to compete nowadays and venturing into business. Added with their strong education foundation, some of them are very very successful.

Generally speaking, it would be a fair statement to say that degree holders will fare better than non-degree holders. While there are definitely non-grads who are very successful and some more so than grads, these people also serve as inspiration for the rest of us, that one does not need to be highly qualified to be successful.

cybermad

Alfrescian
Loyal

we only see the successful ones but many non grads did not make it in biz...not so easy. when i went back for reservist, many non grads were quite down n out ...

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal
Generally speaking, it would be a fair statement to say that degree holders will fare better than non-degree holders. While there are definitely non-grads who are very successful and some more so than grads, these people also serve as inspiration for the rest of us, that one does not need to be highly qualified to be successful.

I think it is a question of comfort zone.
Non graduates bo bian..so have to venture out. Some strike some don't. But I think many learned life time skills like hair dressing, tailoring, etc. And they have no fear of being retrenched. No venture no gain and no loss type of attitudes.
On the other hand, some graduates do have good business skills. They are more analytical. Spin faster. IT savvy etc. while some just do not want to go out and meet people. Thin skinned types.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think it is a question of comfort zone.
Non graduates bo bian..so have to venture out. Some strike some don't. But I think many learned life time skills like hair dressing, tailoring, etc. And they have no fear of being retrenched. No venture no gain and no loss type of attitudes.
On the other hand, some graduates do have good business skills. They are more analytical. Spin faster. IT savvy etc. while some just do not want to go out and meet people. Thin skinned types.

LOL! Very true! For many grads sitting daily at their desks in air con rooms is really in the comfort zone!

Investor888

Alfrescian
Loyal
Of cos that happens. If you take a walk around the industrial areas you see the 640i S65 XJLs driven by non-educated businesses while the doctors and lawyers drive Toyotas. But in general, most uneducated people do not command those $30,000 a month salary.