• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Retire in China?

cheongwilly

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear Jayeho,

I am now staying in Shenzhen but that is only temp, as it is getting expensive in the city I moved recently to the outskirt of Shenzhen in Yan tian. This place is quite cheap. But for the long term plan I will be going to Zhang Jia Jie in Hunan to set up a farm and rear some poultry and livestock to sustain my retirement. It is a nice place where Avatar was film.
we can exchange through email and I will be glad to help you in anyway I can.

cheongwilly

Alfrescian
Loyal
hi, what visa are u on? from what i researched, the longest 1 can stay in china is 6 months (on visa d). how do u manage to stay longer than that in china?

I have a working visa and my wife is also a local, with out marriage cert I can get 1 year. I am now trying for a green card.

cheongwilly

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am on working visa now, but i will retire real soon. My wife from China I can get 1 year application and I am trying for a green card which will last 10 years.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Dear Jayeho,

I am now staying in Shenzhen but that is only temp, as it is getting expensive in the city I moved recently to the outskirt of Shenzhen in Yan tian. This place is quite cheap. But for the long term plan I will be going to Zhang Jia Jie in Hunan to set up a farm and rear some poultry and livestock to sustain my retirement. It is a nice place where Avatar was film.
we can exchange through email and I will be glad to help you in anyway I can.

One thing I can conclude is that as long as you are doing something you like, you will retire happy.

Nice to see another farmer around. :smile:

If you drink cow's milk, you may want to consider having low maintenance miniature cows on your farm.
This website will explain a bit, for city people who wish to pursuit a hobby farm or retiring tree-changers. First-time dairy farmer.
http://www.miniaturecattle.com.au/

• You have good supply of high quality milk for the local market.
  • These may not be BIG cash cows. :smile: but for your enjoyment as well.
  • The animals are cute so you can charge a small fee for farm visitors.
  • With some breed, you do not need vets to assist breeding, etc. Good for first time cow owner.

Worth considering with the milk scare in China. Also, dairy farms in China, eg the Modern Group, are more interested in quick profits than doing farming. Your dairy farm will be a refreshing place for quality produce. :smile:

Last edited:

praypray

Hi there Willy,

I am seriously thinking of settling down in China, Serious. and I know nothing next to this VISA things. It will not be possible for me to retire in Sg, I dont want to end up still working in Macdonalds at the age of 60. So will be really greatful if you can help. We can communicate via email if you want. My email is [email protected]

mei mei

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi there Willy,

I am seriously thinking of settling down in China, Serious. and I know nothing next to this VISA things. It will not be possible for me to retire in Sg, I dont want to end up still working in Macdonalds at the age of 60. So will be really greatful if you can help. We can communicate via email if you want. My email is [email protected]

Praypray - while you wait for Willy to reply, there is also info on how to get visa in China here: http://www.sammyboy.com/showthread.php?169616-China-%96-New-Visa-Rules-amp-Regulations

GoldenPeriod

Alfrescian
Loyal
One thing I can conclude is that as long as you are doing something you like, you will retire happy.

Nice to see another farmer around. :smile:

If you drink cow's milk, you may want to consider having low maintenance miniature cows on your farm.
This website will explain a bit, for city people who wish to pursuit a hobby farm or retiring tree-changers. First-time dairy farmer.
http://www.miniaturecattle.com.au/

• You have good supply of high quality milk for the local market.
  • These may not be BIG cash cows. :smile: but for your enjoyment as well.
  • The animals are cute so you can charge a small fee for farm visitors.
  • With some breed, you do not need vets to assist breeding, etc. Good for first time cow owner.

Worth considering with the milk scare in China. Also, dairy farms in China, eg the Modern Group, are more interested in quick profits than doing farming. Your dairy farm will be a refreshing place for quality produce. :smile:

Don't look like cows leh. Why so furry? Look more like Sheep.

Garbage

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
you will be a failure wherever your go. just rot in Singapore ok.

RIP LOL

eW35GSA.jpg

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Never retire in a first-tier city - polluted, expensive, crowded.

2nd or 3rd cities like Qingdao, Xiamen, Hangzhou, Chengdu are the best. Clean air, good amenities, cheaper property, access to the great outdoors, proximity to metropolises and cultural centres. And your dollar stretches a long way.

Got a friend who moved his entire operations and family to Hefei, Anhui. 3rd-tier city. Bought a house there. Business volume grew 400%. Stone's throw from Nanjing. One-hour flight to Shanghai or Hangzhou. Skies are blue, no smog. Living costs low. No regrets.

Another bought an apartment in an ecotourism district near Xiamen for a bout $60k. Lush hills, river rafting, clean air, a bit ulu. But Xiamen is just a short drive away, and across the Straits you can holiday in Penghu, Kinmen or Taiwan.

The only snag with settling in a 2nd/3rd tier city is the lingo. If you know Mandarin, have an affinity for Chinese culture and food, want to live in a big country where it will take you decades just to visit the diverse historical/cultural/natural/heritage destinations, China is increasingly becoming a serious retirement option. (China has the most UNESCO World Heritage sites in the world. It is also the #3 most visited country in the world, after France and the US.)

Paradoxically, for all its authoritarian politics, friends tell me that on a personal level you actually have more freedom there than in Singapore because of its sheer size and the ability to work your way around restrictions by greasing palms and relying on guanxi.

knnb40

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear All,
thanks for the infor here and very encouraging to know that I am not the only one thinking of retiring outside Singapore.
Will work hard towards the goal to retire outside singapore as I am not the top earner and not much relative here in singapore.

blissquek

Alfrescian
Loyal
I thought of renting out our Singapore property and moving to stay in China (small city) and live off the rental revenue. Is there any flaw in this plan? Got any singaporeans do that?

Try Lijiang in Yunnan.. and Shu he , the ancient town about 5 km from this city.
A 2 weeks stay there as a dry run will make you love this quiant town.

Was there. But settle at some distance from the tourist area.
You will love the scenery and weather...Good Luck.