• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Allow bicycles on buses and trains

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have lived and played in Montreal for the last 5 years and there is a vibrant bicycle culture there. I think that with the rising car prices, COEs, ERPs and a whole gamut of unfriendly policies to owning cars, the govt ought to look seriously into encouraging more people to use the bicycle. The only thing they cannot influence is the hot humid weather, but why can't we have more use of the bike in the suburbia in the evenings, early mornings, or even nights? After all, we are going to build even more park connectors to link up the whole island?

What I have seen in Montreal ( and there may be other cities too) :

1. BIXI bikes - a rental system run by one operator that allows one to rent a bike and return it to any one of over 100 BIXI stations around the city. There is a system to lock the bike digitally and using credit card/debit cards. It is a great success after 2 yrs.

2. Allow bikes on Buses - buses are built with a strong carrier rack for up to 3 bikes per bus at the front. Cyclists using it will have to hang up their bikes themselves with the supervision or help of the bus driver. It is like buses with wheel chair facilities except in the front.

3. Allow bikes on trains - You are allowed to bring yr own bikes on trains there in the first car and at specified times on weekdays but more relaxed hrs on weekends in order not to disrupt or interfere with the office crowd during peak hrs. Up to 3 bikes are allowed but sometimes an eye is closed if the hour is very early or late or when train is really empty anyway. You cannot leave yr bike unattended.

4. Bike lanes - one diff over there is that they frown on you riding yr bike on the pavement or five foot ways, since there are bike lanes on the road. Traffic rules are strict to protect the cyclists when turning, and learner drivers are ticked off and failed for not looking over the shoulder - it must be a deliberate action, not a peripheral glance or side mirror look. I guess here, we all ride on the cycle paths. More should be built.

So I believe if the govt makes some serious planning, we can all make Singapore a city to work, live and play and a world class city where there's more time to smell the roses and mimosa netties. It may require a multi-agency task force involving LTA, URA, NParks, SLA, HDB, etc.

erection2015

Alfrescian (InfP) + C
i agree with you on this 100%. Sinkiepoor should encourage a cycling culture for health and 'green issue ' purposes and the benefits they bring.

Erstwhile plans to link the whole of the island via cycling paths have been exactly that....just plans.

They should hurry this up and base a large part of our daily movement around Sinkiepoor on cycling and cyclists.

I have lived and played in Montreal for the last 5 years and there is a vibrant bicycle culture there. I think that with the rising car prices, COEs, ERPs and a whole gamut of unfriendly policies to owning cars, the govt ought to look seriously into encouraging more people to use the bicycle. The only thing they cannot influence is the hot humid weather, but why can't we have more use of the bike in the suburbia in the evenings, early mornings, or even nights? After all, we are going to build even more park connectors to link up the whole island?

What I have seen in Montreal ( and there may be other cities too) :

1. BIXI bikes - a rental system run by one operator that allows one to rent a bike and return it to any one of over 100 BIXI stations around the city. There is a system to lock the bike digitally and using credit card/debit cards. It is a great success after 2 yrs.

2. Allow bikes on Buses - buses are built with a strong carrier rack for up to 3 bikes per bus at the front. Cyclists using it will have to hang up their bikes themselves with the supervision or help of the bus driver. It is like buses with wheel chair facilities except in the front.

3. Allow bikes on trains - You are allowed to bring yr own bikes on trains there in the first car and at specified times on weekdays but more relaxed hrs on weekends in order not to disrupt or interfere with the office crowd during peak hrs. Up to 3 bikes are allowed but sometimes an eye is closed if the hour is very early or late or when train is really empty anyway. You cannot leave yr bike unattended.

4. Bike lanes - one diff over there is that they frown on you riding yr bike on the pavement or five foot ways, since there are bike lanes on the road. Traffic rules are strict to protect the cyclists when turning, and learner drivers are ticked off and failed for not looking over the shoulder - it must be a deliberate action, not a peripheral glance or side mirror look. I guess here, we all ride on the cycle paths. More should be built.

So I believe if the govt makes some serious planning, we can all make Singapore a city to work, live and play and a world class city where there's more time to smell the roses and mimosa netties. It may require a multi-agency task force involving LTA, URA, NParks, SLA, HDB, etc.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Buses and trains so crowded here still how to squeeze in bicycles?
Everyone ride bicycle then mrt and bus profits will be down...

Last edited:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Well done. Time for some senses to come into play. Bicycles are now playing a bigger role in congested urban centres like NY and London. The Scandinavians especially the Dutch are big on bicycles at the city centre with the latter having the most advanced regulations, rules, road markings and structure to handle bicycles. I understand that London has over the last 3 years implemented a similar programme to Montreal and are expanding it further.

We might not have buses and trains ready to handle the bicycles now, but what is required is to start planning for the future. The authorities can learn from the cities that have made it a success.

Varuna

Alfrescian
Loyal
SMRT already got problems handling passenger load during peak hours plus having to solve the technical problems snowballed from years of poor maintenance, I doubt they can start this bike thing at this juncture.

Alamaking

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
PAP Gov will implement license no. on bicycle, set COE and road taxes, not to forget insurances also. If not how the Gov earn our money? LOL

looneytan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
the gahment oredy try to do something, for example the greenmark submission for your new buildings you can score points if you provide bicycle parking lots and shower/changing room facility in the building

sadly, the gahment didnt do their homework on the infrastructure