• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Queenstown Today

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
All photos taken from MRT train,

3d98ff7d.jpg

Tah ChunOng Departmental Store bus-stop. Behind the green space used to be Tah Chung and further is what used to be the food centre. See the road behing the bus-stop? Used to be carpark of TAH Chung.

f7052450.jpg

2-Storey market, see behind building is the Q'town Polyclinic. Van driving on same carpark drive way from Tah Chung.

48513a70.jpg

Q'town Cinema & Bowl, NTUC is gone, blk 39A (bird shop) is gone. Now could see Q'town library clearly. Strange why cidnema still don't tear down.

Last edited:

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
8caeb3cb.jpg

Blk 27A only thing left is it's bus-stop. Green patch is the block and the carpark. My family lived here since 1971 to 2009.

820112b6.jpg

Q'town Driving Centre where many of us older got our driving and motor license

14a496e4.jpg

Princess House in blue looks like its in the mist of demolition.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Queenstown Bowl is no more (you can still see it intact on Google Maps street view, image taken on March 2009).

I can fondly remember a good Chinese restaurant at or near the Queenstown Cinema. When I was a kid (early 1990s), I went there with my parents to attend a wedding dinner. It had a BIG stage with a large projection screen that played karaoke songs. Guests could go up and sing in front of everyone. Many adults and kids sang Sally Yeh's 瀟灑走一回 as it was a very popular song then.

As of now, I have attended many wedding dinners, from the obscure restaurants at Boon Lay, Chinatown, Queenstown, Concourse etc to the more posh ones (Fullerton, Mariott, Copthorne, Sheraton, Mandarin). Only that particular restaurant at Queenstown still brings back fond memories after so many years. No other restaurant had guests singing karaoke as entertainment. Sometimes there would be a live band, or a hired celeb emcee, but that's it.

The only bowling alley nearest to Queenstown and outside of the city area is probably the one at West Coast Recreation Centre.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Queenstown Bowl is no more (you can still see it intact on Google Maps street view, image taken on March 2009).

I can fondly remember a good Chinese restaurant at or near the Queenstown Cinema. When I was a kid (early 1990s), I went there with my parents to attend a wedding dinner. It had a BIG stage with a large projection screen that played karaoke songs. Guests could go up and sing in front of everyone. Many adults and kids sang Sally Yeh's 瀟灑走一回 as it was a very popular song then.

As of now, I have attended many wedding dinners, from the obscure restaurants at Boon Lay, Chinatown, Queenstown, Concourse etc to the more posh ones (Fullerton, Mariott, Copthorne, Sheraton, Mandarin). Only that particular restaurant at Queenstown still brings back fond memories after so many years. No other restaurant had guests singing karaoke as entertainment. Sometimes there would be a live band, or a hired celeb emcee, but that's it.

The only bowling alley nearest to Queenstown and outside of the city area is probably the one at West Coast Recreation Centre.

Has to be the 金冠酒楼 (Golden Crown) on the 3rd floor of Tah Chung Emporium (first photo above). This is the one and only chinese restaurant in Q'town in the old days.

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Hehehe. Thanks for posting the pics. Seeing the pics, I have a sudden urge to eat Chicken Rice and dumpling soup and also Char Kway Teow. So many queenstown bros. Where is NW?

TNP(Tua Neh Pau)

Alfrescian
Loyal
Char Kway Teow moved to hawker opposite SAFRA (Mt Faber).

Chicken Rice and fishball noodle stall are at Stirling Rd (Mei Ling St).

The dumpling stall I dunno. Can help ask the above stall holder if you happen to go? They should know.

Hehehe. Thanks for posting the pics. Seeing the pics, I have a sudden urge to eat Chicken Rice and dumpling soup and also Char Kway Teow. So many queenstown bros. Where is NW?

Last edited:

streetsmart73

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

The dumpling stall I dunno. Can help ask the above stall holder if you happen to go? They should know.

hi there

1. yes, i can still vividly remember the chicken rice stall there.
2. honest, nowadays sin chicken rice does not taste that good anymore.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
I'm in MRT to woodlands now for meetings.

Roger that will ask fishball noodle stall later, son selling now at Mei Ling street market he good friend of my bro.

hi there

1. yes, i can still vividly remember the chicken rice stall there.
2. honest, nowadays sin chicken rice does not taste that good anymore.

Chicken rice stall 新记 while still at the older Margaret Drive Food Centre had a split, father & son move out to Mei Ling Street Market 2nd floor food centre right at the end. The other family members remained but when government wanted to demolish Margaret Drive Food Centre, they moved to the old 2 storey market down the road (2nd photo). Place there is aircon and spacious. Some people will claim that this is better than the father & son at Mei Ling but for me I prefer the one in Mei Ling.

Last edited:

TNP(Tua Neh Pau)

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks Bro! I miss the sour spicy soup.

Roger that will ask fishball noodle stall later, son selling now at Mei Ling street market he good friend of my bro.

I have to agree that the one in Mei Ling St is better. I was told that the main chef from the old stall moved to Mei Ling with the family.

Chicken rice stall 新记 while still at the older Margaret Drive Food Centre had a split, father & son move out to Mei Ling Street Market 2nd floor food centre right at the end. The other family members remained but when government wanted to demolish Margaret Drive Food Centre, they moved to the old 2 storey market down the road (2nd photo). Place there is aircon and spacious. Some people will claim that this is better than the father & son at Mei Ling but for me I prefer the one in Mei Ling.

Last edited:

michael_368

Alfrescian
Loyal
Wow Thanks for sharing the pics of Queenstown and that bring me back of my childhood memories. My parents move in to Blk-6c during 1970 and move out from there 1995.
I have many fond momeries during the stay there, espeically the food & wet market, Tah Chung Emporium ,old Queenstown Polyclinic, Ntuc, Questown libary, two old cinemas ( Venus & Golden ), Bowlling alley, Queensway sec sch...etc
Thanks for bringing back the pics of Queentstown.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
14a496e4.jpg

Princess House in blue looks like its in the mist of demolition.
This used to be many things.....at one time was the ministry of environment....opposite was the steel mill.....opposite the steel mill was the telecoms.....infront the telecoms was a row of shophouses.....the chung kiaw bank (later UOB) was there. So was the brewery...now Anchorpoint.

Thanks for sharing the pics bro....brings back memories....

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
All photos taken from MRT train,

f7052450.jpg

2-Storey market, see behind building is the Q'town Polyclinic. Van driving on same carpark drive way from Tah Chung.
next to the polyclinic and library is QRP....my 'home' for close to 3 years.

next to the Polyclinic from the other side was a block of flats (cannot remember the block number).....they used as the family home of the local TV series 'Growing Up'

3_M

Alfrescian
Loyal

The one on the 1st floor corner stall?

Also in Stirling Rd.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The one on the 1st floor corner stall?

Also in Stirling Rd.
Stirling Road had that Zi Yean zhi char that later because a restaurant in Lengkok Bahru.....
Famous Mont Dor cakes also had a branch in Stirling Road....
Famous food i remembered from Mei Ling Street market were jui kueh and the vegetarian beehoon.

rusty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Used to live near Forfar House, once the tallest building in Singapore also taught in school history those days.
Passed my driving test at Quennstown Driving Centre in 1970 and I peddled steam peanuts outside Venus cinema.

youth123

Alfrescian
Loyal
Used to live near Forfar House, once the tallest building in Singapore also taught in school history those days.
Passed my driving test at Quennstown Driving Centre in 1970 and I peddled steam peanuts outside Venus cinema.

Forfar Square was known as 7 floor whereas Commonwealth Crescent was known as 16 floor, Tanglin Halt was known as 10 floor. There used to have a fountain near Tanglin Halt road junction. The Queenstown/Queensway cinema had KFC on the 2nd floor.