• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Queenstown Today

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
These two may not be popular but very good, can try:

In Tanglin Halt Food Centre

This fishball noodle is in Tanglin Halt Market

hokkien

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
That fish ball stall you never try you never know... Just open Couple Of month liao, husband and wife stall :biggrin: not bad :biggrin:

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
That fish ball stall you never try you never know... Just open Couple Of month liao, husband and wife stall :biggrin: not bad :biggrin:

You're the man, you know. Their fish cake ($2) seem to be very popular, many customers buy.

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The place I learn what is century egg porridge (皮蛋粥) and paper wrapped chicken (纸包鸡) as a boy

I do not enjoy the taste of century egg porridge.
My classmate used to live at Coronation Road, but he is a very humble man.
In Sec One, he was chauffered to school at Bras Basah Road, in a huge white Chevrolet Impala.
Unfortunately, after his parents sent him and all his siblings to university in Canada, I heard (but did not confirm with him) that his father closed that restaurant and some other businesses.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
My classmate's father owned that restaurant.

I went there to attend a wedding dinner when I was a kid. There was a big stage and guests kept going to the stage to sing karaoke songs. The most popular song was this one. It was a lively atmosphere.

Wedding dinners are so sterile these days. Some stingier ones even last minute ask their friend to jaga emcee duty... LOL! :rolleyes:

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I went there to attend a wedding dinner when I was a kid. There was a big stage and guests kept going to the stage to sing karaoke songs. The most popular song was this one. It was a lively atmosphere.

Wedding dinners are so sterile these days. Some stingier ones even last minute ask their friend to jaga emcee duty... LOL! :rolleyes:

I may have been to Golden Crown, once or twice.

I have not been to any "Chinese" wedding dinner for close to 20 years.

Talking about sterile wedding receptions, with respect, I find most of the "European" Canadian wedding dinners, to be enjoyable, especially those with "home cooked catered meals", live bands, unlimited variety of drinks with an open bar.
By this, I mean, for example, the slavic (Slovenian, Polish, Ukrainian, etc., and even Italian) wedding parties to be very fun. The Italians usually spend a lot of money for it.
Whereas, at my wedding, we had a group of Slovenian ladies cooked and catered at the church hall, live band (accordion, guitar, trumpet, saxophone, clarinet, drums, who entertained with soothing traditional tunes before dinner, not cheap, C$1,700 about 20+ years ago, but very lively and entertaining to dance). I obtained a liquor licence and stocked the open bar (with Smirnoff vodka, Bacardi rum, Hennessy VSOP cognac, Chivas Regal Scotch, Crown Royal Canadian whiskey, Beefeater gin, Bailey's Irish Cream, peach schnapps, etc.) manned by my friends' sons, and for wine, I chose Cote du Luberon and Cote du Ventoux, about C$8.50 back then, now selling for about C$13 a bottle.
The $20 per person catered food was very reasonable, which included soup, salad, boneless skinless chicken breasts with mushroom sauce, roast beef, schnitzel, baked potatoes, mixed vegetables, and the 11pm dessert table [various cold cuts, sausages (kolbassa), fruits, assorted cheese, apple strudel, cheese cake, walnut cake, pies, pastries, cookies, etc.]

We had a photographer to take photos of us and the wedding party at a historical cemetery with rocks and streams and spring flowering and trees before the ceremony, moving around the hall to take photos for all the guests at their tables, and throughout, before the ceremony at church from about 3:30 pm, during the reception, the dinner and the dance thereafter.

During my past several visits to SG, I always dream or wish to be invited or simply crash one of the "Malay" wedding meals, which I have seen so many as a child growing up in SG.
May be, the next time I am in SG, I will ask the host, and invite myself to the Malay wedding lunch.

Last edited:

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset

Came down midnight saw stall still open

Uncle and wife still working hard told me I'll be his last customer as most ingredient finished. Said he opens at 5pm everyday except Sunday 8am.

meepok no more only yew mee

after mixing and stiring

its 12.18 midnight now yes really closed but Guangzhou Wonton Noodle still open till 3am

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
"you never try! you will never know!" die die must try that stall. looks like the proprietor is standing high to pee on his food.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
The popular prays store

besides the parts store is a chai tau kuay store which is very very popular because it starts at $1.50 and the owner is very generous with the amount so week days the queue can be long and made up of workers. I have to say that the taste is very good too with strong taste of the tirnip or rather the chai tau.

customers expected to help himself with the spring onion and chili

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Discovered a great wonton noodle stall in Tanglin Halt Food Centre #01-11 closes Wednesday'and Thursday opens breakfast to after lunch. Just opened a few months ago.

$3.00/$3.50

The couple owners

Comes with two fried and two boiled wonton. Have to admit the boiled wonton is just normal however the charsiew is great a little juicy on the inside and burnt on outside. The black sauce was really good very old school type with chili became a great combination. Finally the noodle, sooo QQ, one of the best I've eaten almost like Hong Kong style.

i forgot to take photo of the 水饺 soup, it's a must order, the ingredient is juicy and crunchy and the same time and tastes 古早.

Verdict is this is a must try and if you are in Tanglin Halt for breakfast go try this. I'd say it's better than the night wonton noodle Guangzhou Wonton at the market.

leetahbar

Alfrescian
Loyal
Just saw this when I googled but not sure updated not

GOLDEN CROWN used to sell very economically priced dimsum.

they were forced to shift to SAFRA at jln bt merah. then shifted again to a now definct club just behind queenstown library. then it wasn't heard anymore until now.

all thanks to the bloody gahmen for destroying good and honest business :(