• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Legal issues/questions - Anything to do with lawyers and banks

Hopeful

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi DoA, thanks for checking. So now it is 3 will writing service companies vs 2 lawyers :smile: Btw which one you checked with? Is it Rockwills or something like that? How much do they quote?

Make that 3 will writing service companies vs 3 lawyers.:p

Have a relative who has a singapore will and he sent a soft copy of his will to the head of his JB lawyer (who did his GRR unit S&P)*and spoke to him. He said he read it and that it should be enough to cover his malaysian properties.

On the other hand, i think Wuqi said this,
making a malaysian will cost only a few hundred ringgit so for your peace of mind may want to enquire with a JB lawyer to get one.:smile:

For me I'll update my spore Will first and than see what to do next. Better to have a complete and updated Will than have no Will at all. Thanks to all for having this discussion. :wink:

DREAMorACTION

Alfrescian
Loyal
Forgot to mention the quotes in my last post.

Rockwill starting 480 onwards.

The other about 420 onwards

What did u get?

For rockwill, I read from teck's forum that 380 was actually achievable ... Hmm!!

Hi DoA, thanks for checking. So now it is 3 will writing service companies vs 2 lawyers :smile: Btw which one you checked with? Is it Rockwills or something like that? How much do they quote?

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
Forgot to mention the quotes in my last post.

Rockwill starting 480 onwards.

The other about 420 onwards

What did u get?

For rockwill, I read from teck's forum that 380 was actually achievable ... Hmm!!

Sama sama Rm480 is the quote, think it is Rm380 for writing will and Rm100 for one year storage of will (compulsory for first year).

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal

Have a relative who has a singapore will and he sent a soft copy of his will to the head of his JB lawyer (who did his GRR unit S&P)*and spoke to him. He said he read it and that it should be enough to cover his malaysian properties.

making a malaysian will cost only a few hundred ringgit so for your peace of mind may want to enquire with a JB lawyer to get one.:smile:

For me I'll update my spore Will first and than see what to do next. Better to have a complete and updated Will than have no Will at all. Thanks to all for having this discussion. :wink:

Hmm update the SG will? You can update the will without any charge or it is like doing a new will? My SG will is the low cost type from NTUC package, think cannot update. Yeah if need be then do the Msia will..but Rm480 not that low, my SG will only cost $160 :smile:

DREAMorACTION

Alfrescian
Loyal
No leh .. For will custodian service, I was quoted a minimum of rm100 (upwards) per year, in addition to the rm480 .... :(

Sama sama Rm480 is the quote, think it is Rm380 for writing will and Rm100 for one year storage of will (compulsory for first year).

Hopeful

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hmm update the SG will? You can update the will without any charge or it is like doing a new will? My SG will is the low cost type from NTUC package, think cannot update. Yeah if need be then do the Msia will..but Rm480 not that low, my SG will only cost $160 :smile:

I mean write a new one. Mine was written 10 years ago.
As for a Malaysian will I was quoted RM500 by my lawyer.
Price is before negotiation. :smile:

Last edited:

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
No leh .. For will custodian service, I was quoted a minimum of rm100 (upwards) per year, in addition to the rm480 .... :(

Maybe you try asking Hong Leong insurance agent, it was at their road show, the agent can even give the Rm480 package free if sign up for their insurance plans..

Last edited:

cathylmg

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have said this before and i will say this again, always try to get your own lawyers in any property transactions.
Never use the one the agent or the seller is using, at least you have some safeguards. Never trust anything an
agent or even developer says. I had folks writing to me after being conned by developers who promised the sky
but reneged and wormed out by saying, no signature, no company stamp after the deposit was placed.

I also had bad agents who tried to be funny, please feel free to name and share any experience with agents, banks
or law firms that did not do the right thing. Where necessary, please do use their consumer watchdog or the bar
council to take errant folks to task.

Also be aware of lawyers trying to fleece you by charging you for visits to the developer to sign S&P, once you
pay this charge, more charges will normally come your way. Be not afraid to go to the Bar council to complain if
you find any dodgy characters. Go for reputable law firms where possible. Getting the cheapest lawyer may not
always work out well. That being said, always do remember to ask for a discount even after conclusion of a successful
deal. Though not in practice officially, it is still a norm to ask for and get a discount.

Most sellers will not be affected in any way if halfway through a deal, they decided not to proceed so do check
what you are signing up for when buying resale.

Be wary of any T&Cs with the banks as certain banks have a lot of terms.

To my countrymen, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do not think that just because you are in a foreign land, you need to
use a bank which you are familiar with. If you are getting a loan from them, they have more to fear from you then
you from them. This is as the liability to you is at most the 20% for the house that you have to pay first but theirs
is the remaining 80%. Of course, this is offset by the lawyers who will normally act as the middleman and keep the
monies safe(of course in life there is no guarantee, lawyers in Singapore have been known to run away with their
clients money while doing conveyancing too)

You do not need to go for a large bank, just a bank which gives you good rates and is well established in Malaysia.
If you are trying to come out here to get a loan for a house, the theory is that those banks which do not have branches
in Singapore are better if you do not want folks in Sg to know about your loan/property here. Of course, for those
trying to cheat the system, they will be able to know your credit history and credit worthiness in Singapore through
CBS and other checks.

So is it neccesary to get your own lawyer if you are the seller? And who should foot the bill if you are seller getting your own lawyer?

DREAMorACTION

Alfrescian
Loyal
It's now 3 will writers vs 4 lawyers.

My lawyer had replied ... It's as if there are 2 different set of laws. OMG!!

DREAMorACTION

Alfrescian
Loyal
It's now 3 will writers vs 4 lawyers.

My lawyer had replied ... It's as if there are 2 different sets of laws. OMG!!

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
So is it neccesary to get your own lawyer if you are the seller? And who should foot the bill if you are seller getting your own lawyer?

Buyer should always get their own lawyer from the seller if possible unless you know the seller very well. If you are a buyer, you should foot your own bill since it is to protect your own interest when buying. If both sellers and buyers are the same, should anything happen, whose interests would the lawyer act for?

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
My lawyer quoted about 100 bucks higher than a will writer :(

Can always get other lawyers, don't really need a good one, just need good witnesses and an understanding of the inheritance laws here which are (more manual) different from SG.

DREAMorACTION

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yup. I have decided to use a wil writer. Having one better than none, and I don't see that there would be any conflict of interests here....

Just curious, are will writers legally trained? If so, must be common laws mah ... So why would there even be this kind of split advices if governed by the same common laws? Hmmmm .... I will pursue on this query as I'm really curious :smile:

Can always get other lawyers, don't really need a good one, just need good witnesses and an understanding of the inheritance laws here which are (more manual) different from SG.

Last edited:

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Yup. I have decided to use a wil writer. Having one better than none, and I don't see that there would be any conflict of interests here....

Just curious, are will writers legally trained? Must be right?

Actually don't need a lawyer strictly speaking but must be able to cover all the aspects, etc adequately. Best to check their credentials first just in case but should be pretty safe.

DREAMorACTION

Alfrescian
Loyal
Btw, the differences are

Lawyer - required all docs of movable and immovable assets - thorough listings.

Will writer - general clauses that cover anything

Both have pros and cons. Former - u know exactly and u take stock of all assets. But troublesome if u keep on adding assets.

Will writer - vague but would still be effective. Just need more efforts for the trustee to discover what assets a person has

That's what I gathered from both parties so far ...

Actually don't need a lawyer strictly speaking but must be able to cover all the aspects, etc adequately. Best to check their credentials first just in case but should be pretty safe.

Last edited:

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
Btw, the differences are

Lawyer - required all docs of movable and immovable assets - thorough listings.

Will writer - general clauses that cover anything

Both have pros and cons. Former - u know exactly and u take stock of all assets. But troublesome if u keep on adding assets.

Will writer - vague but would still be effective. Just need more efforts for the trustee to discover what assets a person has

That's what I gathered from both parties so far ...

oic lawyers need thorough listing of assets? You mean listing of Msia assets only or include SG assets?