• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Legal issues/questions - Anything to do with lawyers and banks

LGLab

Alfrescian
Loyal
I read this somewhere on the net. Dunno how true.
Consider following scenario of a newly married couple John and Mary.
The couple bought a condo where John parents paid for the downpayment. Couple pays for installment.
Shortly after,, couple had a kid named Tom.
Then couple bought another condo where Mary parents paid for the downpayment. Couple pays for installment.

One day, the family went overseas for tour.....had an accident. Mary died immediately.
So legally everything belonging to Mary goes to John and Tom.
5 hrs later, Tom died. So everything they had now belongs to John.
5 days later, John also died.
Everything that the family had, including the condo that mary's family paid for, now goes to john's parents.
Had it been that Mary died later then John, everything would goes to mary's parents instead.
What ???

sequence counts! :eek:

DREAMorACTION

Alfrescian
Loyal
- deleted -

Hi LG lab

Can help to check how much is the lawyer fee to do a will ? My case is since the house is only my name , if something happens to me , i would like to have a will to transfer to my sister and she will continue to service the loans.

Thanks

Last edited:

pes123

Alfrescian
Loyal
We decided to use a solar water heater on our bungalow roof in the Hills Precinct at Horizon Hills. We selected MONIER who at the time seemed knowledgable and helpful. Little did we know how wrong we were!!!

However, the installation has been a nightmare! They installed the solar panel in the SHADE.. NO SUN! EVEN AT 12 NOON! NO SUN ON THE SOLAR PANELS!

We have been unsuccessful in getting them to fix it properly. We've been heating our water using the backup electrical heater in the solar tank... we cannot get hot water using solar energy because the solar pannels are shaded!

I've heard that a number of people at Horizon Hills have had the same problem with MONIER.... we are suing them to get it fixed.

Anyone else having these problems with MONIER want to join with us?View attachment 3893View attachment 3894 Monier RoofTop Photo 1.jpgMonier shoddy solar system install  third sun exposure @ noon.jpg

DREAMorACTION

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi all,

I'm expecting my loan to be approved soon. I understand that once a bank has given the offer letter to me, I'm supposed to appoint a lawyer to help me draft the loan agreement. For my case, my developer will bear the legal fee for s&p only, and if I use the same lawyer, he/she will give me 30% discount on the legal fees for the loan agreement. My queries are as follow:-

1) when you had your loan agreement drafted, did you ask for discount, and if so, how many % was it? This point about asking for discount has been brought up by bro wuqi. Although I will be offered 30%, I'm not sure if it is considered reasonable.
2) shall I use the same lawyer for the loan agreement, of which the cost will be borne by me
3) did u go through clause by clause of the letter of offer by the bank, together with your lawyer?

Thanks much!!

Last edited:

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am not sure about this, but will it be better to draft a Will in Singapore and just include the properties in Msia? At least there is only one Will that covers all that one has to pass on, not to complicate matters when the day comes.

I have done a will in Singapore previously, when I asked the SG lawyer whether the SG will can cover the Malaysia house, they asked me to check with lawyers in Malaysia whether need a will in Malaysia to include that. Wonder whether the SG lawyer no good or that is the norm, need one will in one country?

LGLab

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have done a will in Singapore previously, when I asked the SG lawyer whether the SG will can cover the Malaysia house, they asked me to check with lawyers in Malaysia whether need a will in Malaysia to include that. Wonder whether the SG lawyer no good or that is the norm, need one will in one country?

it is better to do in both countries, so when u grant the probate will be faster and easier.
if not need wait long long time..

i dont care, just do in malaysia.. in singapore im not so scare about will

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
it is better to do in both countries, so when u grant the probate will be faster and easier.
if not need wait long long time..

i dont care, just do in malaysia.. in singapore im not so scare about will

Just got the reply from my Malaysia lawyer that I no need to do another will in Malaysia. Can apply at the Malaysia court to enforce the SG will after getting the grant of probate from SG court. Will take longer to grant the probate than the will done in Malaysia indeed.

Hitesh

Alfrescian
Loyal
Could you all please share which bank gives a maximum loan of 90% to a SPR with who is non Malaysian and non Singaporean? I checked with AM back as LGLAB had initially suggested , but found out that they could only provide 60% loan to me...

contra

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear All,

Vincent77, teck21 and myself have been using Lim Soh & Goonting.

Find them pretty ok.. at least we have seen property transaction done properly by them..

my S&P had been recently signed.. wait till i get my place, i will keep u all posted..

cheers..

Hi Lab, So did it go well? I am looking for a lawyer to handle resale, meaning I want to buy a second property and want a lawyer to represent me. I have in mind the lawyer that represented Gamuda when I bought my HH house directly. But Lim Soh & Goonting seems to be recommended. Can let me know how it went?

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
I heard to be safe and for cheaper faster and better way..

do will in both malaysia and singapore.

but i think i will just have that do in malayisia.. becus for singapore, i pretty dont worry of the laws here..

The laws of inheritance here in MY is different from that of SG as in the passing down to kids, etc are not automatic.
You do need a will here (ask the lawyer handling the property transaction to do one for you cheaply, normally few hundred RM)

Hopeful

Alfrescian
Loyal
Just got the reply from my Malaysia lawyer that I no need to do another will in Malaysia. Can apply at the Malaysia court to enforce the SG will after getting the grant of probate from SG court. Will take longer to grant the probate than the will done in Malaysia indeed.

Hi, just to share what I was told by my lawyer in Malaysia.
You only need to do one will either in Malaysia or Singapore.
When it is time to execute the will and probate is granted, lawyers from both countries will have to be employed to follow up on the will. So I think you only need to do only one will from either country.
Peace!:smile:

avelc

Alfrescian
Loyal
If I sell my house in Malaysia for a profit (minus all fees, taxes), how do I repatriate or transfer the profit back to SG?

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi, just to share what I was told by my lawyer in Malaysia.
You only need to do one will either in Malaysia or Singapore.
When it is time to execute the will and probate is granted, lawyers from both countries will have to be employed to follow up on the will. So I think you only need to do only one will from either country.
Peace!:smile:

Hi, thanks for sharing. Good to know that your lawyer in Malaysia said the same thing. However, that day I met one insurance person in a road show in JB, she also handles will writing service and told me that will in Spore cannot be recognised in Malayisa for immovable properties (like house), the will can only can be recognised for movable properties in Malaysia (like cash). And she said it is like that in other countries like UK or Australia too, must write separate will, one in Spore and one in the other country. So strange huh, wonder who to trust - the lawyer or the will writing service company?

Last edited:

Hopeful

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi, thanks for sharing. Good to know that your lawyer in Malaysia said the same thing. However, that day I met one insurance person in a road show in JB, she also handles will writing service and told me that will in Spore cannot be recognised in Malayisa for immovable properties (like house), the will can only can be recognised for movable properties in Malaysia (like cash). And she said it is like that in other countries like UK or Australia too, must write separate will, one in Spore and one in the other country. So strange huh, wonder who to trust - the lawyer or the will writing service company?

My personal thoughts. Having 2 wills, wonder if it may complicate things?
You will have to craft them out very carefully. What if one will is wrongly written and over rides the other?
In my case, before owning a Malaysian property I already had a spore will. When I bought a property in Malaysia, the lawyer said up to you ( when i asked 1 will or 2 wills) just make sure your will is updated to include the new purchase. Whether will is made in Malaysia or Spore when it is time to be executed, lawyers from boths sides have to be hired to carry out the respective parts of the will. This was what I was told, may need to check further and re confirm. Maybe there is a new policy.

Peace

Hopeful

Alfrescian
Loyal
If I sell my house in Malaysia for a profit (minus all fees, taxes), how do I repatriate or transfer the profit back to SG?

So far No chance to do that yet. Have only been putting money into Malaysia. HaHa!:smile:
Probably the same way you TT in Spore.

Last edited:

DREAMorACTION

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have contacted two will-writing firms and confirmed your information. A Will will only cover international movable assets. For all immovable assets, the law of the respective country will apply and you will need different wills in different country to protect your immovable assets. Cheers

Hopeful

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have contacted two will-writing firms and confirmed your information. A Will will only cover international movable assets. For all immovable assets, the law of the respective country will apply and you will need different wills in different country to protect your immovable assets. Cheers

Wil-writing firms make money from writing Wills while lawyers make more money processing the Grant of Probate. LOL!

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
My personal thoughts. Having 2 wills, wonder if it may complicate things?
You will have to craft them out very carefully. What if one will is wrongly written and over rides the other?
In my case, before owning a Malaysian property I already had a spore will. When I bought a property in Malaysia, the lawyer said up to you ( when i asked 1 will or 2 wills) just make sure your will is updated to include the new purchase. Whether will is made in Malaysia or Spore when it is time to be executed, lawyers from boths sides have to be hired to carry out the respective parts of the will. This was what I was told, may need to check further and re confirm. Maybe there is a new policy.

Peace

Think not due to new policy since the Msia lawyer told me the same thing as your lawyer and that was just last month only. In my case, also did the will in SG previously before buying the house in Msia. Mine very simple will with no list of assets, so no way to add the Msia house haha..

You are right, my worry of having two wills is also whether one override the other?! About this different treatment for movable/immovable assets, I shall try asking the lawyer again, if you do check with your lawyer again and have different advice, can update here? thanks.

Last edited:

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal

Hi DoA, thanks for checking. So now it is 3 will writing service companies vs 2 lawyers :smile: Btw which one you checked with? Is it Rockwills or something like that? How much do they quote?

DREAMorACTION

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yup, one was rockwill, the other from a big firm in KL. can't recall the name off hand ...

I have emailed my own lawyer that handled my s&p. Will update once I have heard anything :smile:

Hi DoA, thanks for checking. So now it is 3 will writing service companies vs 2 lawyers :smile: Btw which one you checked with? Is it Rockwills or something like that? How much do they quote?