• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Exchange Rates for RM

enjoylife77

Alfrescian
Loyal
The perpetual political bickering will ensured the RM$ will continue its slide against major currencies. Even if one day oil prices rebound convincingly and the high profile 1MDB missing RM$ Billion puzzle solved, I think the RM$ will remain lethargic because the forex player knows Malaysia deeply embedded weakness.

Advisable to change only the amount you absolutely needed.

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal
All moneychangers are holding the rate at 2.85/86 to limit their losses... very soon moneychange rate will be above 2.9!

Malaysian money changers do not incur losses. They just give away more useless ringgit for better sgd, so they can give better rates.

wolverine23

Alfrescian
Loyal
Malaysian money changers do not incur losses. They just give away more useless ringgit for better sgd, so they can give better rates.

??? emmm...surely they need to buy the ringgit in the first place? They profit from the spread... if the currencies depreciates so fast, whatever they have on hand becomes a loss position.

angmokio

Alfrescian
Loyal
1440042213465.jpg

one of the best rates, Metrojaya, Komtar JBCC, 2nd floor, 217A (opposite suasana)

enjoylife77

Alfrescian
Loyal
With persistent RM$ weakness, it is unlikely that property prices will appreciate enough to mitigate the overall negative effect.

Matahari

Alfrescian
Loyal
Depending on your view on where is RM's bottom, you could use your fully paid properties to secure RM credit facility.

Then sell RM against SGD or USD and wait for it to drop.

Speculative and yet hedging in nature

snowbird

Alfrescian
Loyal
Historically the RM$ is trapped in a bottomless pit.

The National Reserves had dropped further to US$95 billion from US$100 billion about 2 weeks ago.
Looks like Bank Negara cannot defend the RM anymore with the RM dipped further to a new low @ US$1 : RM4.175 today!!!
Next week, we might even see US$1 : RM4.25!
At the rate this is going, I'm afraid the BNM may do something drastic soon despite the PM just said that they will not peg the RM and there will be no capital control.

enjoylife77

Alfrescian
Loyal
The National Reserves had dropped further to US$95 billion from US$100 billion about 2 weeks ago.
Looks like Bank Negara cannot defend the RM anymore with the RM dipped further to a new low @ US$1 : RM4.175 today!!!
Next week, we might even see US$1 : RM4.25!
At the rate this is going, I'm afraid the BNM may do something drastic soon despite the PM just said that they will not peg the RM and there will be no capital control.
Raise interest rates drastically like what Russia did to defend the rouble is 1 option.

RedsYNWA

Alfrescian
Loyal
Raise interest rates drastically like what Russia did to defend the rouble is 1 option.

That will cripple the economy. Even Najib is not that silly. Seems that the plan is just to ride it out for time being..... A global crisis is in the making and Singapore is not spared too. Singapore's stock market is actually the 2nd worst performing in the developed world, after Greece!

snowbird

Alfrescian
Loyal
That will cripple the economy. Even Najib is not that silly. Seems that the plan is just to ride it out for time being..... A global crisis is in the making and Singapore is not spared too. Singapore's stock market is actually the 2nd worst performing in the developed world, after Greece!

Well, the stock market in the region had recently fell drastically including major market in China, HK, Japan and SE Asia and of cos, SG is not spared too.
But comparing the situation of MY and SG, My is definitely more fragile with many already said that MY is fast becoming a failed state.
For MY, the fast shrinking National Reserves, rapid flight of foreign funds, continued dipping crude oil prices, political uncertainty, etc, are all happening simultaneously too fast too soon and is affecting the RM's recovery.
Whereas for SG, the Reserves are solid, no serious exodus of foreign funds while the cheaper oil prices is actually a bonus.
In the meantime, still hold on to your S$.............S$1: RM3 is probably just round the corner if the current situation persist.
Just thinking, since the PM few days ago had just "confirmed" that they are not going to peg the RM and impose capital control, but did not say will not devalue the RM like the Vietnamese and the Chinese to their respective currencies!

http://blogs.reuters.com/breakingviews/2015/08/21/asian-capital-controls-are-a-real-risk-once-again/

Last edited: