• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Exchange Rates for RM

Manhattan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Can you help me understand why most here are happy? Aren't you afraid that your net value will go down due to the fast depreciation of the ringgit?

Most happy people here committed their property in rm and earn their money in sg. When rm depreciates by 10% also means another 10% in their purchase. Of course happy.

As for depreciating asset, will not realise unless they sell. Which can be some years down the road, too early to worry.

Last edited:

Organic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Most happy people here committed their property in rm and earn their money in sg. When rm depreciates by 10% also means another 10% in their purchase. Of course happy.

As for depreciating asset, will not realise unless they sell. Which can be some years down the road, too early to worry.

...plus some plan to retire in Malaysia, no intention to change back to SGD should they sell away their property/ies :smile:

Niucomer

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: why a cheaper ringgit may not be bad

Can you help me understand why most here are happy? Aren't you afraid that your net value will go down due to the fast depreciation of the ringgit?

If I may explain my rudimentary understanding of economics 101 :o

1. Cheaper housing installments - Since most property owners take loans to purchase their Malaysian properties, they will be making repayments with a cheaper Ringgit. The savings in a cheaper Ringgit will however be negated partially when interest rates rise in tandem with a depreciating currency (think Argentina). However in most cases of loan repayment, the gain arising from the depreciation outweighs the increment in installment arising from the higher interest rates.

2. Higher property prices - When a currency weakens, the inflation rate of that economy will rise as more of the cheaper currency is needed to purchase the same items (think banana currency). Imports will become more expensive. Labor will require higher compensation for their time. Building materials will increase and developers will find it necessary to increase their prices. When this happens, properties in the secondary market will also see an increase in prices. In the long term, the net asset values of real properties should not be materially affected.

If more detailed explanation is needed, I will need to go dig up my samuelson book :biggrin:

Those suffering from a weakening Ringgit will be the local populace who keep their financial assets in Ringgit.

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: why a cheaper ringgit may not be bad

If I may explain my rudimentary understanding of economics 101 :o

1. Cheaper housing installments - Since most property owners take loans to purchase their Malaysian properties, they will be making repayments with a cheaper Ringgit. The savings in a cheaper Ringgit will however be negated partially when interest rates rise in tandem with a depreciating currency (think Argentina). However in most cases of loan repayment, the gain arising from the depreciation outweighs the increment in installment arising from the higher interest rates.

2. Higher property prices - When a currency weakens, the inflation rate of that economy will rise as more of the cheaper currency is needed to purchase the same items (think banana currency). Imports will become more expensive. Labor will require higher compensation for their time. Building materials will increase and developers will find it necessary to increase their prices. When this happens, properties in the secondary market will also see an increase in prices. In the long term, the net asset values of real properties should not be materially affected.

If more detailed explanation is needed, I will need to go dig up my samuelson book :biggrin:

Those suffering from a weakening Ringgit will be the local populace who keep their financial assets in Ringgit.

Yes, and hard times ahead for e govt n locals. The lower income will bear e brunt as govt cancels subsidies n low cost housing projects.