• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Exchange Rates for RM

UsernameX

Alfrescian
Loyal
Just TT online with CIMB rate - 2.629 (no transaction fee). Super fast don't need to Q. If TT large amt my private banker will come over - rate should be 2.639 (usually +0.01 board rate) and waiver the transaction fee. I worry to call my PB as she may ask me for extra service lol...... jk.

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
It is only worth to change if interest in your Malaysia bank is high of at least 4%. Otherwise, keeping SGD may be a better bet.

I won't TT this month. I think the underlying weakness in next year's budget has not fully been factored in the RM-SGD exchange rate :biggrin:

Narmi

Alfrescian
Loyal
My friend holidaying in Penang changed at 2.66! Haha i thinking the further north you go the better the rate.

snowbird

Alfrescian
Loyal
Interest earned (savings) in CIMB a/c better off than POSB

CIMB is paying 0.8% for savings compare to DBS / POSB's 0.05%! .
While I still maintain a certain amount in CIMB SG mainly for TT purpose, if not for their limited branches and ATM, I 'll be leaving my regular savings there.

DCputeri

Alfrescian
Loyal
It is higher in CIMB but you compute the real gain when RM continue to weaken by 1%, 2, 3,....
CIMB is paying 0.8% for savings compare to DBS / POSB's 0.05%! .
While I still maintain a certain amount in CIMB SG mainly for TT purpose, if not for their limited branches and ATM, I 'll be leaving my regular savings there.

snowbird

Alfrescian
Loyal
It is higher in CIMB but you compute the real gain when RM continue to weaken by 1%, 2, 3,....

I was not talking about savings in RM.
I was making a comparison for keeping a regular savings account in SG in S$!
Simple example for maintaining:

S10,000 in POSB = $5/pa.
$10,000 in CIMB = $80/pa.
See the difference for doing nothing. Not a lot but I can have a couple of nice meals with that difference.

DCputeri

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sure. It always make sense with more. Have you consider placing in MYR FD?

S10,000 in POSB = $5/pa.
See the difference for doing nothing. Not a lot but I can have a couple of nice meals with that difference.

whoami

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It is only worth to change if interest in your Malaysia bank is high of at least 4%. Otherwise, keeping SGD may be a better bet.

Actually i am referring to s$ a/c with cimb (s). I earned more int with cimb than pee sai int with posb. At the same time if internet trsf rates attractive like past few days i can immediately execute a trsf to my cimb(m) without much hassle. Max m$20k.:smile:

whoami

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

S10,000 in POSB = $5/pa.

Yup. Been long s$ a/c with cimb (s) past year. So far putting my s$ at cimb serves my purpose.

snowbird

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sure. It always make sense with more. Have you consider placing in MYR FD?

NO! Just like any foreign currency deposit, its very volatile and movements are unpredictable.
Although the FD rate there is quite good, the RM being volatile too, the depreciation can sometimes wipe out all the interest earned or worse, you suffer a deficit.
I rather wait till when the rate is reasonably good, I'll make some transfer.
If you had place a FD in RM last year, you'll be getting a deficit now!

Last edited:

shctaw

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Part and parcel of forex.

If I convert everything back to SGD I lost about 4%.
If I convert to JPY; it gain 30%. (Ringgit from JPY24 to 1 ringgit; now it is JPY34)
It is relativity.

However if you put the forex lost to the capital appreciation; it is still a wise move. Not forgetting you will be paying with weaker ringgit when you start to do renovation; buy furniture and electronic.

NO! Just like any foreign currency deposit, its very volatile and movements are unpredictable.
Although the FD rate there is quite good, the RM being volatile too, the depreciation can sometimes wipe out all the interest earned or worse, you suffer a deficit.
I rather wait till when the rate is reasonably good, I'll make some transfer.
If you had place a FD in RM last year, you'll be getting a deficit now!