• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

A Singaporean's guide to living in Thailand

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
yup but he's still ethnically chinese.

Agree just like you and me.

You know, something funny happened after his success. A few weeks ago the official Xinhua News Agency asked Jeremy Lin to 回祖国 to play in the China version of NBA to make the Chinese people proud. I mean think about it its pretty shameless to say such a thing because Jeremy's 祖国 is USA for goodness sake. I mean I cannot imagine my 祖国 is 中国 because I am a sinkie mah.

Khun Ying Pojaman

Alfrescian
Loyal
If you are phuying and we're in a situation like this and I know one day in advance you're going to be in Taoyuan you can bet I'll be waiting for you there.

Bro, I will be in Shanghai 2nd week of April.

What's your recommendation for hotel accommodation in Shanghai ?

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Sawasdee krup everybody. Happy weekend to you all.

Bro, I will be in Shanghai 2nd week of April.

What's your recommendation for hotel accommodation in Shanghai ?

You're fucking playing hard to get. Me in Shanghai 3rd week to 4th week.

I lived in Shanghai for a year but even before and after living there I travel there like 4-6 times a year. My work centered around Huangpu District so its around the Bund area. I am only familiar with this area and also a more baan-nok district Songqiang (now no more baan-nok la) because I have a house there still.

Whenever I travel I book my accommodations through AGODA. When I'm into Shanghai I only stay in 3 hotels most of the time and all around the 南京东步行街 and 城隍庙 area as I like to go there for walks and buy stuffs. Also I only choose 3-4 star hotels. However there are now many motels all over Shanghai even around the places I mentioned above, one very popular motel you see in many areas is 168 Motel (http://www.motel168.com/).

Ok coming back to the hotels I stayed before they are:

1. Baron Business Bund Hotel, No 105-1, Fuzhou Road, Huangpu District, The Bund & North Bund. This hotel is very clean and looks new, I stayed there like 7/8 times. I really like this hotel as it give you a little colonial feel. Its going for 1980 baht per night all in.

2. Park Hotel, No. 170, Nanjing Road(West), Huangpu - People Square & South Bund. Stayed here many times too as its just next to the 南京东步行街. Used to be the tallest building in Shanghai and I think its more than 100 years old. A little more expensive as its got the old reputation la. Also next to my favourite 小笼包. Agoda is quoting about 3200 baht for this, all in.

3. Oriental Bund, No 386, Renmin Road, Huangpu District, The Bund & North Bund. Last time I went there I stayed in this hotel. I like this hotel very much as its very newly renovated and just next to 城隍庙. Whenever possible I would like to stay in this hotel from now on. Agoda is quoting 2200 all in.

Please note I rarely like to book hotels with breakfast in Shanghai because I prefer to go out and eat. So the above prices are without breakfast.

My own place in Songjiang is just sitting there doing nothing because its too out of the way but price had since tripled when the MRT was extended to there 4 years ago so I just leave there and wait some more because I don't need it.

rusty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
In Tapas Cafe (Sukhumvit 11) a Spanish restaurant. Very nice place, good food, nice crowd, nice music

94142b28.jpg

My favourite tapas, prawn very sweet with white wine

Wah..delicious...you're really into food and in an upmarket place somemore. Thai yuppies and expatriates fav playground.
I used to frequent Q-Bar nearby after Santika was burned down in 2009 where 61 people died.
Luckily I was back in Singapore to celebrate New Year or I'll be dead too.
There is a Jap restaurant...can't remember the name, along Sukhumvit 11 you die die must try.

Last edited:

Khun Ying Pojaman

Alfrescian
Loyal
You're fucking playing hard to get. Me in Shanghai 3rd week to 4th week.

Bro, double-coincidence lah. But then after Shanghai, I'll still be returning to Taiwan.

1. Baron Business Bund Hotel, No 105-1, Fuzhou Road, Huangpu District, The Bund & North Bund. This hotel is very clean and looks new, I stayed there like 7/8 times. I really like this hotel as it give you a little colonial feel. Its going for 1980 baht per night all in.

The reason why I said "double-coincidence" is because I booked Baron Business Bund Hotel, and I was a little bit unsure. And you know with Agoda, you can always cancel your booking, so I was seeking an alternative opinion. It turns out your confirmation is a massive re-assurance :smile:

Okay, this time must go 城隍廟。 Have you ever been to the temple itself ? Choon bo choon ?

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Bro, double-coincidence lah. But then after Shanghai, I'll still be returning to Taiwan.

The reason why I said "double-coincidence" is because I booked Baron Business Bund Hotel, and I was a little bit unsure. And you know with Agoda, you can always cancel your booking, so I was seeking an alternative opinion. It turns out your confirmation is a massive re-assurance :smile:

Okay, this time must go 城隍廟。 Have you ever been to the temple itself ? Choon bo choon ?

Wa tio-beh-pio for you soon, double coincidence. If these is a possibility for you, choose to fly into Hongqiao Airport instead of Pudong. Hongqiao is ultra modern after its rebuild. Airport include MRT station to everywhere in Shanghai and also include Shanghai's High Speed Rail Station connecting you to almost anywhere in China. With the MRT you can get connected to Nanjing East Road Station then take a taxi to hotel. This hotel is not close to any MRT but can still take a 20-30mins walk.

Sorry to say this I think 城隍廟 is not really a 廟 as it was once a residence of the high ranking official of Shanghai. Now it very tourist place lots of things to see and buy. Everyone will tell you that the best 小笼包 is found inside 城隍廟's 南翔小笼包 I have to say its not bad but there is anothe better place I will recommend later. Try both and see the difference. If you have time in Shanghai I will recommend you other places for makan and buy things. I am waiting for my 60baht hair cut now.

Cheers

Last edited:

Khun Ying Pojaman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Wa tio-beh-pio for you soon, double coincidence. If these is a possibility for you, choose to fly into Hongqiao Airport instead of Pudong. Hongqiao is ultra modern after its rebuild. Airport include MRT station to everywhere in Shanghai and also include Shanghai's High Speed Rail Station connecting you to almost anywhere in China. With the MRT you can get connected to Nanjing East Road Station then take a taxi to hotel. This hotel is not close to any MRT but can still take a 20-30mins walk.
Alamak, didn't know about HongQiao Airport and it's convenience. Yes, with Pudong, I still need to take that Maglev thing. But too late, bought tickets to Pudong already. The next time will surely try HongQiao. It makes sense if MRT is connected to the airport, unlike that stupid Pudong.

Last edited:

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Wah..delicious...you're really into food and in an upmarket place somemore. Thai yuppies and expatriates fav playground.
I used to frequent Q-Bar nearby after Santika was burned down in 2009 where 61 people died.
Luckily I was back in Singapore to celebrate New Year or I'll be dead too.
There is a Jap restaurant...can't remember the name, along Sukhumvit 11 you die die must try.

Hi Rusty, I love food and all sorts of food ironically Indian food is my favourite and I can cook pretty good and authentic indian food as I am into indian spices most I bought while traveling.

Sukhumvit has the most variety of high end food but I really hate going into Sukhumvit going in and coming out may cause you 2-3 hours total. But then sometime got to go there la when feel bored with food around my area. Many Japanese restaurants around and in Soi 11 also have a few. My favourite Japanese food area is Thaniya.

Hey I waiting for your next trip here na we should do a Wine I Love You dinner.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Alamak, didn't know about HongQiao Airport and it's convenience. Yes, with Pudong, I still need to take that Maglev thing. But too late, bought tickets to Pudong already. The next time will surely try HongQiao. It makes sense if MRT is connected to the airport, unlike that stupid Pudong.

Really alamak. Never taken the Maglev cos always take taxi directly, hate to change but in Hongqiao don't mind MRT is its to Oriental or Park hotels as MRt is just next to them.

One thing I always do in Shanghai in whichever hotel I stayed in I will visit the 上海书城. Its a mega bookstore like 7 storeys or something. I can't read or write Chinese (simple ones and hanyupinyin I can) but that does not stop me from visiting book shops as I like to see what sort of books there are to know and understand whats happening in the society I am visiting. I also spend a lot of time on the 6th or 7th floor shopping for CDs all original but very cheap as produced there. 上海书城 is like 10-15mins walk from Baron along the same 福州路. Once out of the hotel turn left keep on walking you will not miss.

If you keep on walking you will hit the 人民广场 and the 上海博物馆 this is where the Park hotel is located and also the Raffles Mall (Capitaland) and also the beginning of the 南京东路步行街. Oh also immediately when you turn left when out of hotel is a french restaurant Hamilton not bad but a littel expensive.

When out of hotel and turn right is the Bund area. Here you is the most popular place in Shanghai to see Pudong. I like to go across to 滨江大道 to look back at Shanghai at Paulaner Bräuhaus and spend my lazy Sundays there.

Khun Ying Pojaman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Really alamak. Never taken the Maglev cos always take taxi directly, hate to change but in Hongqiao don't mind MRT is its to Oriental or Park hotels as MRt is just next to them.

One thing I always do in Shanghai in whichever hotel I stayed in I will visit the 上海书城. Its a mega bookstore like 7 storeys or something. I can't read or write Chinese (simple ones and hanyupinyin I can) but that does not stop me from visiting book shops as I like to see what sort of books there are to know and understand whats happening in the society I am visiting. I also spend a lot of time on the 6th or 7th floor shopping for CDs all original but very cheap as produced there. 上海书城 is like 10-15mins walk from Baron along the same 福州路. Once out of the hotel turn left keep on walking you will not miss.

If you keep on walking you will hit the 人民广场 and the 上海博物馆 this is where the Park hotel is located and also the Raffles Mall (Capitaland) and also the beginning of the 南京东路步行街. Oh also immediately when you turn left when out of hotel is a french restaurant Hamilton not bad but a littel expensive.

When out of hotel and turn right is the Bund area. Here you is the most popular place in Shanghai to see Pudong. I like to go across to 滨江大道 to look back at Shanghai at Paulaner Bräuhaus and spend my lazy Sundays there.

Bro, you talked a lot, but where to find 范冰冰 you didn't tell me :wink:

rusty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Hi Rusty, I love food and all sorts of food ironically Indian food is my favourite and I can cook pretty good and authentic indian food as I am into indian spices most I bought while traveling.

Sukhumvit has the most variety of high end food but I really hate going into Sukhumvit going in and coming out may cause you 2-3 hours total. But then sometime got to go there la when feel bored with food around my area. Many Japanese restaurants around and in Soi 11 also have a few. My favourite Japanese food area is Thaniya.

Hey I waiting for your next trip here na we should do a Wine I Love You dinner.

Indian food...so you like curry a lot I suppose. Me also like curry a lot but Thai curry not to my liking. It was nightmare in the begining when I was served roti prata with condensed milk...eeyak.

Have you tried the Japanese curry at Coco Ichibanya?
I love it and so do a lot of Thais. This chain has succeeded...endless Q during peak hours and now two outlets I think in Bangkok and few months ago opened one in Singapore.

Ya...you're right going through Sukhumvit is pain in the ass especially at Asoke junction even taxis drivers dread going there.
I am also looking forward to meeting you but am really tied down.

Last edited:

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Finally, it rain after a week of hot spell. Surin is very very hot. Now I machiam real Siam Kia after 2 days in out in the fields.

Pattaya is also the same but it rain a moment ago. KNN, just wash my car after my trip from Surin.

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Just curious, any Sinkees are willing to work in LOS with local pay and benefits? For fresh graduates, their pay is around THB 7-8K per month.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Finally, it rain after a week of hot spell. Surin is very very hot. Now I machiam real Siam Kia after 2 days in out in the fields.

Pattaya is also the same but it rain a moment ago. KNN, just wash my car after my trip from Surin.

I was hoping for a hot day today because about to leave for Bang Saen beach with wife for seafood and taking sunset photos (wife la). I hope nice weather. Ok got to go now. Bye.

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
A vios with skirting, bumper and spoiler but still quite boring.

7c6625c1.jpg

afca99cc.jpg

Not mine but thinking of decorating my boring vios.