• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

A Singaporean's guide to living in Thailand

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Weather too hot to sit outside watch world goes by. Sit inside better.

b88fb474.jpg

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Still in office. Think about 50% completed. You have to take your hats off the Siam Kia. This contractor really complete the work in 2 days. Others estimated 1 week. Ofcourse my presence make a difference. :smile:
edb7293a.jpg

5d6116cf.jpg

Last edited:

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Still waiting for contractors to finish up today's work. Browsing my phone and here's some restaurants at Central Festival at the beach. Pics are taken on the 6th floor as I just had dinner at Canton House few days ago.

Canton House a nice place to have Cantonese food. Serve Dim Sum. Price is reasonable.
a323f387.jpg

Pan Pan Restaurant serves the best traditional Italian Pizza but I prefer to have it at the main branch in Jomtien.
0c2c11fd.jpg

Zen Restaurant is Japanese. So-so.
b600fdeb.jpg

Aka is also Japanese. This one is much better than Fuji or any other Japanese chain. Also more pricier.
3bca08b8.jpg

Sukishi is Japanese/Korean BBQ. Value for money for those on budget. Also have hot sake.
e6a7a5b5.jpg

This one new shop. Have not eaten yet.
b8ff8251.jpg

Russian Property agent at the booth.
3acef2cd.jpg

View from 6th floor of Central Festival
dbaddbe2.jpg

Khun Ying Pojaman

Alfrescian
Loyal
This one remind me of 流星花园。and also the song by harlem.

But the girls not as chio as 流星花園, I'm afraid :(

I caught two undergraduates smoking in the toilet this morning. These days the schools are afraid of the students. Even the APs have to por lam par the students so that they get retained for the next term.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Tonight so quiet. Goodnight guys.

But before I switch off I like to say I am testing the TRUE Online internet connection now. In the past I used to use TRUE Online when I was staying in condo. I like it because it has very consistent speed. Living on this rented landed property I wanted to subscribe to TRUE but they said my village (cluster housing) does not have. Its been 3 years using 3BB (12Mbps download and 1Mbps upload) and I find that they provide the fastest speeds and also inexpensive. You see I also have a internet TV receiver receiving Taiwan and Hong Kong channels which is hooked up to the 3BB connection. I have frequent slowing delays and stoppage when I watch TV.

I went back to TRUE last week and asked them what I need to do to get TRUE Online. They were very nice and checked and said that there is a line about half a kilometer outside my village and they are willing to pull the cable into my village provided I lay for bringing the cable in and getting the village management to allow them to do so. I agreed to pay for it (5,000 to 7,000 baht) and got management to allow, so today I got TRUE Online (10Mbps download ; 1Mbps upload). So far I am pretty happy with it but as for TV I will need to wait a few more days for the TV guys to connect for me. I will keep you guys posted on this test.

rotikosong

Alfrescian
Loyal
Friends, am planning to do touristy thing of river dinner cruise in Bkk. I have done day time ferry along Chao Phraya before (dropping of at Thamassat U etc), but not makan onboard. Did some homework, and shortlisted to 2 types:

1) Tradition rice barge, with set dinner

http://www.manohracruises.com/

Tripadvisors plumb for Loynova

2) Modern boat type with buffet

I've been on the one by Manohra before. Very sabai sabai but pricey. It's a traditional boat, what they call a rice barge, with a set course meal - not buffet. On board, they play traditional music. It's very small, probably seats 4-5 tables only. Very intimate and romantic - if that's the atmosphere you want. Took it from the previous Marriott pier down river, I was staying there - that hotel has since been rebranded an Anantra.

If you want a cheaper option, then I'd recommend Yok Yor. Yok Yor is actually a seafood restaurant a couple of hundred meters from the Hilton on Chao Phraya. It's on the Thonburi side of the river i.e. across. You get there either using a complimentary ferry from Saphan Taksin pier or from River City Mall (which is next to the Sheraton and Oriental hotels). It's not a buffet - you order from a menu before they depart. They will provide a recorded commentary (in Thai, maybe not English) of all the sights on the river during the cruise. Not very expensive, 2 people maybe 1000B+? Not much atmosphere, it's just tables on a big open deck boat. Mostly Thai clientele.

rotikosong

Alfrescian
Loyal
Canton House a nice place to have Cantonese food. Serve Dim Sum. Price is reasonable.

Pan Pan Restaurant serves the best traditional Italian Pizza but I prefer to have it at the main branch in Jomtien.

Zen Restaurant is Japanese. So-so.

All the suburban Centrals and The Malls seem to have the same tenant mix. Canton House is a chain with surprisingly very barebones decor. You have to go to urban Bangkok malls to get the unique dining options e.g. Paragon, Asoke 21

Khun Ying Pojaman

Alfrescian
Loyal
You see I also have a internet TV receiver receiving Taiwan and Hong Kong channels which is hooked up to the 3BB connection. I have frequent slowing delays and stoppage when I watch TV.

Bro, what is your internet TV receiver like ? Do you need to hook up to a PC at the same time ?

rotikosong

Alfrescian
Loyal
The pleasure is mine really. Have a great time buddy.

And wow your pics are really nice and very clear. Cool.

Thanks to you. I used your CameraAwesome app with stability control set

After staying in a typical studio Thai apartment for a few days - I am moving into one of my usual hotels at the Ratchaprasong area. I am thinking of hitting the following in the next few days:
Thamnamthai restaurant at Ploenchit center - they've been around for 80+ years
Lenotre - for some coffee, baked pastries and macarons from a well-known Parisian patisserie
Nara@Erawan for kway teow soup
Xin Tian Di at Gaysorn - Peking duck
Dosa King on Sukh 11/1
Chili Padi (Malaysian place where Embassy people go to) at the corner of silom and surasak. Nasi lemak and rendang their specialities
Kagonoya in Thonglor near the Market Place (just go 300 meter into Soi Suk 55) for Kaiseki

Great if you and your wife/maid can come - parking at the Renaissance Marriott is free for guests. Most (execpt for last 2) are within walking distance

rusty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Thanks to you. I used your CameraAwesome app with stability control set

After staying in a typical studio Thai apartment for a few days - I am moving into one of my usual hotels at the Ratchaprasong area. I am thinking of hitting the following in the next few days:
Thamnamthai restaurant at Ploenchit center - they've been around for 80+ years
Lenotre - for some coffee, baked pastries and macarons from a well-known Parisian patisserie
Nara@Erawan for kway teow soup
Xin Tian Di at Gaysorn - Peking duck
Dosa King on Sukh 11/1
Chili Padi (Malaysian place where Embassy people go to) at the corner of silom and surasak. Nasi lemak and rendang their specialities
Kagonoya in Thonglor near the Market Place (just go 300 meter into Soi Suk 55) for Kaiseki

Great if you and your wife/maid can come - parking at the Renaissance Marriott is free for guests. Most (execpt for last 2) are within walking distance

Bro, don't miss the Khao Neow Ma Muang (glutinous rice with mango) when you are in Thonglor and if you have extra time, visit Beer Hollandse adjacent to Central Plaza II, Thanon Rama II (Rama 2 Road). Try this local's favourite and have a good time experiencing something out of the tourist belt.

cheers!

rusty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
How can a thread dedicated to living in Thailand omit such an important video information ?

For the sake of the curious bystanders:

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/22665367?title=0&byline=0&portrait=0" width="400" height="300" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="http://vimeo.com/22665367">Inside Nataree Massage, Bangkok</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/user3497373">RedNightCity</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

No 'XXX', but remember to up my points. At least let me have an idea how many secret bystanders in this thread :smile:

There is one Singaporean who goes there very regulary....sometimes everyday in a stretch. Very well respected from the boss down to the waitresses...in fact anyone who works there long enough knows him. When he has large group of friends he usually requests one single big room with up to 10 beds purely for massage...no hanky panky. Some dislike the place because of the communal toilets, unless you go for the 'soapy' massage.. The place is old and in dilapidated conditions. Advice is go after refurbishing is done and god knows when.