• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

A Singaporean's guide to living in Thailand

dredd

Alfrescian
Loyal

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Yup, weekends are packed with Thais. But somehow, it feels less commercial, less expensive. Their "walking street" on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays are also very different. I much prefer Bang Saen to Pattaya and its only less than an hour apart.
Me foodie so have to say that if yo want good Thai food Pattaya is not the place as most Thai food is watered down to suit farangs. Coming back to Bang Saen yes almost don't see any foreigner there so food is real Thai food.

Last edited:

dredd

Alfrescian
Loyal
Me foodie so have to say that if yo want good Thai food Pattaya is not the place as most Thai food is watered down to suit farangs. Coming back to Bang Saen yes almost don't see any foreigner there so food is real Thai food.

I make it a point to drive down from my place in Ratchada at least once a month to savour the ambience and seafood at Bang Saen. Sometimes, I buy the seafood at the market to cook back home. Must say that I am not a fan of their oysters. You know the one they eat with the fried garlic.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
I make it a point to drive down from my place in Ratchada at least once a month to savour the ambience and seafood at Bang Saen. Sometimes, I buy the seafood at the market to cook back home. Must say that I am not a fan of their oysters. You know the one they eat with the fried garlic.

Never a fan of local oysters, too big and jilat for me. Eating oysters one prefers to to have a whole oyster into the mouth right? Thai oysters are so big its uncomfortable to have the whole thing in so people end up cutting it making it very messy. Prefers smaller imported ones and without the fried shallots of course.

dredd

Alfrescian
Loyal
Never a fan of local oysters, too big and jilat for me. Eating oysters one prefers to to have a whole oyster into the mouth right? Thai oysters are so big its uncomfortable to have the whole thing in so people end up cutting it making it very messy. Prefers smaller imported ones and without the fried shallots of course.

Exactly. Anyway, hope they preserve Bang Saen as it is and keep out the bars, girls, all the filth of Pattaya.

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
On Bangsaen, I popped over for a overnighter on few occasions eons ago. Recall this seafood joint next to the sea and jetty, after a little meandering drive away from main Bangsaen stretch. Also had a night cap at Tawandeng branch.

Also stayed at the Tide Resort once, other occasions at smaller digs :biggrin: Don't think the beach is any good for swimming though

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Saw this vintage car at lobby, and Daimler (well looked after). Interesting retro swtches on front console instead of fancy electronics nowadays

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
At my regular hangout Kae Bangkok, alfresco joint at Parsi Charoen with decent makan and acoustic live music

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Sorry poor lighting (and lousy cameraman), can't hold a candle to froggy's or Jah's:o
Prawn with herbs, and chicken with cashew nuts

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Visited a few more places before i went back

Black pagoda which was featured in the sex documentary whores glory. It's a club where the top most floor is a bridge connecting 2 buildings and girls dance on the bridge which is made up of glass panels so that guys below can see them dancing. I looked up and saw dancers beckoning to me. In the documentary they shined laser pointers at passing guys. It's located at the patpong area in silom.

21024991121_d6f47555e0_b.jpg

Here's the opening of whores glory. The place looks exactly the same as in the documentary released in 2011

erawan shrine undergoing repairs last wednesday before the bomber was caught.

20396364853_1d15e8cf21_b.jpg

Visited Tawandang german brewery at sathorn with a friend. Before the lights were dimmed for the performances.

20394798634_8c3036b127_b.jpg

fried fish.

20396364233_56f62bf907_b.jpg

i forgot what this dish is

20830635819_d250a27fa9_b.jpg

sea hums

21007527392_13580b4951_b.jpg

lights turned off and midway through the performance. One fucking irritating thing is if your seat is located facing the stage but not at the main dining area you will have buggers standing near your table taking pictures and a fucking shit skin was standing near my table

20394797104_94797b4e02_b.jpg

Prawn koropok.

21017433235_0dc3b0d43d_b.jpg

Ended the night by visiting nana plaza. Nope no happy ending.

20829523418_414e041b69_b.jpg

rotikosong

Alfrescian
Loyal
Does anyone have any recommendations on tailors that will alter suits? I'm not talking about making a new suit - but tailors willing to take on only alterations e.g. sleeve length and taking in suit jackets specifically. Most Indian shops appear to be sales fronts and not interested in alterations - does not bring much $ for them

Ideally central to Sukhumvit/Silom/Siam. Thanks

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
New courier service between BTS stations
Published: 2/09/2015 at 04:24 PM

Online news:http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general/678324/new-courier-service-between-bts-stations

skybox.jpg

A new parcel delivery service operating between BTS skytrain stations,known as Skybox, has been launched to serve the urbanised lifestyle of mass-transit commuters.

The service provider W P Group now has six pick-up and delivery points -- at BTS Mor Chit, Ari, Victory Monument, National Stadium, Thong Lor and Chong Nonsi stations.

Customers can drop a parcel at any of those stations for delivery to any of the other five. Only Mor Chit station offers the service seven days a week. The others are closed on Sunday.

The fastest service promises delivery between the two designated stations in three hours. For online shoppers, delivery is 24 hours. Order a product before noon and pick it up at noon the next day. The cost is set by the weight of the parcel and distance, starting at 35 baht.

A tracking code is provided the intended parcel recipient, who can pick it up personally or give someone else the number to collect it.

Apipat Lertritsirikul, W P Group’s chief executive and founder of Skybox, said the company expected its major clients would be small e-commerce traders and shoppers. The service was designed to serve a rising demand from online shoppers who find it inconvenient to accept delivery at home or the office.

“The growth of e-commerce comes from advances in technology, internet penetration via smartphones, and advance online payments. As e-commerce in Thailand will grow rapidly, Skybox emphasises pick-up points for e-commerce business at BTS stations, which will serve office workers who are a key group of online buyers,” he said.

The company plans to expand the service to all skytrain stations and another 100 points nationwide, with 50 more outlets throughout Asean by 2016.