• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

A Singaporean's guide to living in Thailand

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
There are 3 Thai Airways StarAlliance lounges in the Suvarnabhumbi Airport located at in the middle concourse D and the two wings concourses C and E. The largest is the one in the middle concourse D however if you need to take a shower you can only do in the one at concourse C which is actually my favorite as the design is spacious compared to the one in E. Food and drink all three are almost identical with the exception of D which has freshly cooked food like noodles.

breakfast being served this morning at concourse C lounge

rotikosong

Alfrescian
Loyal
There are 3 Thai Airways StarAlliance lounges in the Suvarnabhumbi Airport located at in the middle concourse D and the two wings concourses C and E. The largest is the one in the middle concourse D.

Slight correction, there are 5 TG lounges (not counting the First class one) because pier C and E have 2 each: the Royal Orchid lounge and the Royal Silk lounge. They are opposite each other.

The middle concourse one at D is not a general Star Alliance lounge; you need to be traveling in business/first, or TG Gold or above or have a invitation card. Non TG Star Gold traveling in economy are usually re-directed to lounges at C and E

however if you need to take a shower you can only do in the one at concourse C which is actually my favorite as the design is spacious compared to the one in E. Food and drink all three are almost identical with the exception of D which has freshly cooked food like noodles.

Lounge at E also has showers.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Slight correction, there are 5 TG lounges (not counting the First class one) because pier C and E have 2 each: the Royal Orchid lounge and the Royal Silk lounge. They are opposite each other.

The middle concourse one at D is not a general Star Alliance lounge; you need to be traveling in business/first, or TG Gold or above or have a invitation card. Non TG Star Gold traveling in economy are usually re-directed to lounges at C and E

Lounge at E also has showers.

You're the man roti. Update today is like this: both C & E has been reduced to one each due to the current situation. Tourist arrival had reduced by almost 70%. Bloody airport almost empty most of the time, you must have experienced it in your recent visit.

D big lounge honestly I never know is for TG only, thanks for update.

Last time I went for a shower there (was my first time too) I was directed to C and told that was the only one anyway bievenit or not I had to take a queue number. The soap and shampoo all Tann hiso brand have to say I enjoyed it, would have enjoyed more if have "back scrubber" to help me. Lol.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
All alone on the middle of Shinjuku now inside a Izakaya drinking my third bottle of sake. Good place to relax

No idea what this was when it came

Finally

rotikosong

Alfrescian
Loyal
Enjoy your trip. Was there 2 weeks ago and Tokyo was hotter than two rats fucking in a wool sock.

On your way back, the ANA lounge (at both HND and NRT) has counter-service curry rice and udon/soba. There are 2 ANA lounges at NRT (don't waste your time at the United Club). Haha both with showers too but no Thann; instead you get packets of Shiseido (In Japan Shiseido has downmarket items too) stuff.

joetys said:
Last time I went for a shower there (was my first time too) I was directed to C and told that was the only one anyway bievenit or not I had to take a queue number.

Oh I didn't know one of the lounges was shut. Next time when they re-open, remember both lounges have about 3 shower rooms each. If one lounge is busy, simply hop across and see if the other one has a queue.

One more thing, since you travel a lot for work in Asia, you should consider getting the APEC card if you haven't gotten one already. Allows you to bypass long immigration lines by accessing a dedicated counter. You apply for it in your country (Thailand) and your company will sponsor the application. Requires a small fee but worth it.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Enjoy your trip. Was there 2 weeks ago and Tokyo was hotter than two rats fucking in a wool sock.

On your way back, the ANA lounge (at both HND and NRT) has counter-service curry rice and udon/soba. There are 2 ANA lounges at NRT (don't waste your time at the United Club). Haha both with showers too but no Thann; instead you get packets of Shiseido (In Japan Shiseido has downmarket items too) stuff.

Oh I didn't know one of the lounges was shut. Next time when they re-open, remember both lounges have about 3 shower rooms each. If one lounge is busy, simply hop across and see if the other one has a queue.

One more thing, since you travel a lot for work in Asia, you should consider getting the APEC card if you haven't gotten one already. Allows you to bypass long immigration lines by accessing a dedicated counter. You apply for it in your country (Thailand) and your company will sponsor the application. Requires a small fee but worth it.

Start at Tokyo today and will be making my way down to Fuji (Onsen), Nagoya, Kyoto, Osaka. Will leave from Osaka's Kansai. Thanks for the tips buddy.

rotikosong

Alfrescian
Loyal
Start at Tokyo today and will be making my way down to Fuji (Onsen), Nagoya, Kyoto, Osaka. Will leave from Osaka's Kansai. Thanks for the tips buddy.

Sounds like a rock concert tour :biggrin:

If you're flying out of KIX then make sure you get a good meal and a shower before you head to airport haha. KIX lounges are dire to put it mildly. TG has a lounge there, don't waste your time with ANA's lounge. While the TG lounge looks a little like the TG lounge in HKG (middle area with wooden slats, chairs in the "rainbow" colours of TG Economy class etc), you won't find any hot food and the drink selection is poor. Instead you get some crackers and some stale pastries like danishes etc. so similar to TG domestic lounge. No showers of course.

There's a lot less connecting traffic at KIX than NRT so airlines don't bother investing $$ in lounges there. But unlike TG domestic lounges, you can get drunk at the TG KIX lounge so that's probably the best thing to do.

rotikosong

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hahahahaha old rocker with you fan is ok la.

Keio Plaza Hotel Japanese breakfast

This is okayu - Japanese porridge. Traditional Japanese breakfast is rice with grilled fish, tsukemono (pickled vegetables) or maybe umeboshi (pickled plum) but nowadays, more and more people just eat bread or cereal. Most houses have a fish grill built-in as a shelf under their cooker hobs.

rotikosong

Alfrescian
Loyal
Slight diversion from high living. Local stalls in morning across Thonburi side in Bkk.

Thonburi side also got high living what - Peninsula, Hilton and further down the river, the Anantara. Thonburi used to be real pain in the ass to get to center of city (see the daily jam on Saphan Taksin) but since they extended the BTS deeper, I think it's a good place to hang.

Your pictures are nice - I've seen but never tried the grilled banana. The glutinous rice thing is a staple at the TG lounge - die die they always have it. Oily as hell but gooooood.

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Thonburi side also got high living what - Peninsula, Hilton and further down the river, the Anantara. Thonburi used to be real pain in the ass to get to center of city (see the daily jam on Saphan Taksin) but since they extended the BTS deeper, I think it's a good place to hang.
Sir Roti, I hang in off beaten track in Bangkae, old part Bkk city. Think Petkasem road is one of longest road, beyond Nakhon Pathom suburb. My humble digs at 14 Resorts (fancy name?) costs thb600-800 and suite thb1100. No pool, no abf but clean and roomy. Few doors from Seacon Bangkae and The Mall at end stretch. Last BTS is BangWa, but slow progress for stations onwards. But will bring more accessibility (and new life), with awful road grid now.

Best you get for couple kms radius here. No 4-5 stars league
http://www.timeout.com/bangkok/hotels/venue/4:395887/14-resort

You see, smell local flavours with talad Bangkae open 24/7. Diff side to Bkk, away from plastic fantastic suk.

Last edited:

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Nearby tze char, run by old teochew family. 2 kao tom pla (good quality fish), with hay cho and some fish minced dish plus 1 big heine costs princely thb330. :p Again, revisited

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Sawasdee krup from Shinjuku this is the beautiful Tokyo Government Building aka City Hall

View looking out of hotel
[video=youtube;Nr-L3y9qVjM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nr-L3y9qVjM[/video]

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Yesterday was Shinjuku Eisa Festival, its like a drum festival originated from Okinawa.

[video=youtube;wCqRnyR1mgA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCqRnyR1mgA[/video]

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Train is only a good option if your hotel is on the train line and/or near Phaya Tai, or it is peak rush-hour. Otherwise you save no time. Instead you'll sweat buckets going up and down and transferring. Good luck finding a taxi. Also the BTS has no space for luggage

If anyone wants to take the train it is only 45 baht. In the past you had a choice of the faster express service which only made 2 stops in the city but the service was suspended because it was not profitable.

So there is only the normal service which makes all the the stops along the way. Still a reasonably fast way to get to BKK & you get to see the sights along the way. I usually stay in Sukhumvit & there is usually congestion in the Petchburi area so this time I decided to use the train. In fact I even used the train to get to the airport.

The main reason I chose the taxi-less route was because the weather in Bangkok is surprisingly quite cool. It's more overcast with a drizzle. I also needed the exercise:smile:

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
If anyone wants to take the train it is only 45 baht. In the past you had a choice of the faster express service which only made 2 stops in the city but the service was suspended because it was not profitable.

So there is only the normal service which makes all the the stops along the way. Still a reasonably fast way to get to BKK & you get to see the sights along the way. I usually stay in Sukhumvit & there is usually congestion in the Petchburi area so this time I decided to use the train. In fact I even used the train to get to the airport.

The main reason I chose the taxi-less route was because the weather in Bangkok is surprisingly quite cool. It's more overcast with a drizzle. I also needed the exercise:smile:

when I drive along or parallel to the track along Rama 9 it seems there are very few stations for the AirportLink guess even if it stops at all stations it's still pretty fast.