• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

A Singaporean's guide to living in Thailand

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I actually had 2 bowls of it. Unlike Singapore's version which is sour with giam-chye the Thai version does not contain giam-chye but still taste very good as I believe they prepare the pork stock for a long time.

Brother [joetys],

Instead of "they prepare the pork stock for a long time", it should read [ they simmer the soup or pork stock for a long time ]

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
No worries.
You have a good attitude and spirit, and did not get upset, did not reduce my points.
We are human beings, and make mistakes.

活到老学到老. Imagine if I'd not learn this time and used the same way speaking to an an angmoh I'd be embarrassed.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
As mentioned before spelling Thai names or words could be a very troublesome thing as its like there is no standard. I am at the north east region of Thailand now which is known as Isaan. The people here speaks Isaan language like a offshot of the Lao language. This word Isaan is spelled in many ways too like - Isan, Isarn, Esan, Esarn, E-san etc etc

In an Isaan restaurant near the Khon Karn airport now

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Deep fried fermented fresh water fish - Pla som

Isaan sausage - cycog isaan

Pla lakuay - deep fried padi fish

Fried chicken with ginger and lemon grass

This is like otah

Gaeng som hed - herbal soup with mushrooms

Special type of local long bean somtam

Catfish with gu-chai

AhMeng

Alfrescian (Inf- Comp)
Asset
What I love most is Thai pineapples by the roadside.

Die die everytime in Bkk must buy and eat.

hehehehe :biggrin:

207-406-thailand-pineapple.jpg

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Ubonratana Dam is a popular place for visitors to Khon Kaen Privonce as well as locals. Many come to visit a white giant Buddha on top of a hill in the park over looking the lake.

Spent 2 hrs relaxing there now on the way back home to Khon Kaen city which is 48km away.

ctsbh

Alfrescian
Loyal
So let's talk about a typical single house in Thailand within a cluster housing project. Thais call each project a mubaan or moobaan which means basically village. Many of these villages are named after flowers and trees by the developers.

Depending on the developers, some are high end but most are average ones. An average house price ranges from 4 million to 10 million in Bangkok, upcountry is cheaper obviously. Of course you can have a project with houses selling for 20 million to 120 million baht these are the really high end ones where not two houses are similar and buyers have the choice on the material etc etc.

So a typical house 4-10 mil in Bangkok, will come with with at least 3 bedrooms on two floors. Land where these houses sit on ranges from 60 square wa to say 90 sq wa, multiply by 4 you'll arrive at 240 sqm to 360 sqm for the land. Interior floor area should start from 170 sqm to around 300 sqm for this price range.

As I mentioned in the upcountry it is cheaper, an example is this, land is 80 sq wa 320 sqm and build-in 220 sqm which costs 5.5 mil baht or $220k. In Bangkok this will easily cost double at 8 million baht or $320k still very cheap at Singapore standard. However in Bangkok it is not easy to find a house with this size of land normally 70 sq wa (280 sqm).

by the way its freehold

[video=youtube;ZUptQPq-kqo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUptQPq-kqo[/video]
Thanks Bro Joe for your contributions to this site. Been considering to buy a unit in Bangkok, but can foreigners buy landed properties which U have shown?

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
wah....the sunset si bei sui !!!

or is it because you using a good cam?

Just my humble aim and shoot no nonsense Sony QX1 with 20mm fixed lens, nothing to adjust

fixed to my iPhone 6 of course if not cannot see