• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Ex-TOC editor Andrew Loh sucking up to the sinful PAP recently?

TracyTan866

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I will give you my personal view. The party that need to explain their shift of position is PAP. Why do they ask for a review of ministerial salaries averaging a reduction of around 37 % but up to 50+% and have it passed in parliament with the whip being held. What were wrong with the past salaries that required this big position shift? This should be clearly explained in all the major local media and also for international media to pick up.

well said. and the pap shd have the decency to lift the whip and see truly the support it has on this issue even within the pap.

but alas, LHL didnt have the courage to face the truth. It is such cowardice that will ultimately cause the demise of the pap because its leadership is afraid to know the truth

HorGauGan

Alfrescian
Loyal
ANDREW LOH IS OFFICIALLY A PAP DOGGIE! HE SAYS LEE KUAN YEW ISHUMBLE!!! :mad::mad:

andrewlohhp.wordpress.com/2012/02/06/toh-chin-chyes-house-what-struck-me-the-most/

Toh Chin Chye’s house – what struck me the most

I attended Dr Toh Chin Chye’s wake on Sunday at 23 Greenview Crescent. It was not as busy as I had expected. Certainly, there were no throng of people. Or perhaps it was late in the evening and most have already left. Whatever it is, my friends and I were efficiently guided to where we should go – first to sign the condolence book, then to attend the evening service which was conducted by a pastor from St Andrew’s Cathedral, and then to pay our respects at Dr Toh’s coffin.

The first thing that struck me was how simple the home was. It was quite evident that the house has remain much as it had from years past. The paint on two of the main doors were peeling, the wall is evidently older despite the paint, and even the ceiling lights were nothing to crow about. In fact, two flourescent tubes had to be added in the hall as, I suspect, it would be too dim otherwise.

But what really took me by surprise was the mosaic tiles in the living room floor. I have not seen such flooring since I was a kid, really. And that is some years ago. You certainly do not see such tiles being used in modern houses anymore. I took a picture of it:
tcc400.jpg

As you can see, it is pretty old and worn out but it is well-kept nonetheless.

And here is the living hall of Lee Kuan Yew’s house which he still lives in:
lky-home.jpg

You don’t see such flooring anymore either.

Dr Toh’s sparsely furnished house – and the flooring – told me more about Dr Toh than perhaps all that I have read about the man. Certainly, he is evidently one of humble needs. So too Mr Lee.

A friend asked me why don’t these two founding fathers of modern Singapore live more ostentatiously or lavishly. Well, I don’t know. But I can surmise that perhaps it is because of the times they were brought up in – an era where simplicity was lauded, where virtues such as humility and charity were appreciated more. But I don’t really know.

What perhaps we can deduce is this: one doesn’t have to live in big houses with luxurious furnishings to have a lasting impact on the lives of your fellow men and women.

I went home from the wake pondering on what I’d seen and what it means, really, to serve your nation and your people.

Dr Toh lived humbly and passed from this earth quietly, after having served his people through some of our most tumultuous times.

His feet was firmly set on the ground, as evidenced by the ground on which his feet walked.

HorGauGan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Andrew "Doggie Loh" is preparing to contest under GE2016 under PAP! I will spit on him!!!

MacPherson Cares fund to help elderly
Written by Andrew Loh
publichouse.sg/categories/topstory/item/453-macpherson-cares-fund-to-help-elderly

RAybr.jpg

Picture from The New Paper
“[Our] society has a duty to take care of those who have done so much for Singapore. The question to ask ourselves is: How much is this generation of young Singaporeans willing to give of ourselves, to support the older generation, especially those who came from the founding generation of Singapore citizens?” – Parliamentary speech on 21 October 2011 by Member of Parliament for Marine Parade GRC, Ms Tin Pei Ling.

The issue of the elderly has been a focus for Ms Tin since she became an MP after the General Election in May last year. Vilified, especially by netizens, for certain gaffes during the elections, Ms Tin nonetheless has shirked these off and has focused on her grassroots work.
“I pay particular attention to elderly issues, because about 1 in 3 residents in MacPherson are aged 50 years old and above,” she said in her Parliamentary speech last year. “But our entire nation is also ageing.” Ms Tin is MP for the MacPherson ward in Marine Parade.

“We have a moral responsibility to take care of them, to help them enjoy fulfilling lives in their silver years. We will all grow old, some sooner than others. This is a harsh reality of life, but we can make it less harsh,” she says.

Medical cost for the elderly is one issue which many are concerned with. Indeed, Ms Tin herself related how an elderly couple in her ward were “not visiting doctors to receive the medical attention they need because they are worried about high medical fees” even though there are subsidies for these. “Shockingly, the elderly lady even said that she is prepared to let the husband die,” Ms Tin said.

“This case shows that healthcare costs can weigh heavily on many elderly,” she said. “This may even deter them from seeking treatment early, increasing the risk of complications that can cost them more money later on and worse, endanger their lives. Some elderly may also not fully understand the range of different schemes available to help them. Many cannot tell the difference between Medisave, MediShield and Medifund. Sometimes, on probing an elderly Singaporean’s healthcare difficulties, we realized that they could have benefitted from MediShield and Medifund much earlier.”

While medical costs weighs heavily on Singaporeans, especially the elderly poor, there is one group of people which is “just a rung above the bottom” which Ms Tin is also concerned about. These are those who may have jobs but who, for various reasons, are not able to afford medical costs, and do not seek the treatment which they need.

“Some don’t go for follow-ups because of a fear of finding out about more illnesses they must spend on,” Ms Tin told the Straits Times on 6 February. “Some don’t want to burden their kids because the family is already struggling, or they’d rather spend on food.”

To help this group of people, Ms Tin and a group of young grassroots volunteers in her ward have initiated the MacPherson Cares fund. The fund will be launched next month and will disburse up to $300 a year in cash to elderly residents of the ward as reimbursement for their medical bills.

The scheme is not targeted at the very poor with critical or long-term illnesses. These can be helped with other government schemes, like Medifund.

MacPherson Cares is to encourage those who require medical care or follow-ups to continue to do so, bypassing the sometimes lengthy period required in applying for national schemes. “In the interim period,” Ms Tin said, “the fund can give them some financial relief and the confidence to continue seeking medical treatment.”

Ms Tin also raised a radical idea regarding basic healthcare for the elderly in her Parliamentary speech. “We now have improved financing policies, but still, we hear cries for more support and I think we can do more. Specifically, just like how Singapore citizen children in government primary schools need not pay for school fees (miscellaneous fees not included), might this House also consider taking the bold step of providing free basic healthcare to elderly Singaporeans in public healthcare settings?”

With Singapore’s aged population set to hit almost a million by 2030, healthcare will continue to be a major concern. This is especially so given that wages and job security for this group continue to be uncertain.

While the government contemplates more tweaks and introduction of new schemes to address healthcare needs, whatever help given to the elderly in the meantime, such as the MacPherson Cares fund, will be welcome by those who need the help.

HorGauGan

Alfrescian
Loyal
i told u all andrew is pappy doggie liao!!!!!!!!

but doggy also knw how to design website one ah? i thot they bark only nia... :biggrin:

theonlinecitizen.com/2012/02/the-accusation-is-the-evidence/

TOC refers to the article published in TR Emeritus, 'Is PAP bankrolling prominent blogger Andrew Loh' (see HERE). The article has been taken off-line by TRE now.

Although most of what was written in that article were only speculations and so need no clarification, there were two assertions made in the article which had to be clarified.

In the article, the writer claimed that 'it is rumoured that he (Andrew Loh) left TOC because after the GE he wanted to turn TOC into a pro-PAP website and the others were against this'. This is not true.

In announcing the resignation of Mr Loh in June 2011, we had said, "Andrew has had some impressive achievements in this stint as TOC Chief Editor, notably leading TOC’s editorial coverage through the seminal 2011 General Elections. Without his leadership, we would likely not have enjoyed the success during GE2011 that we did."

The article in TRE further went to claim that 'It is rumoured that the Institute of Policy Studies is supporting Andrew financially in the guise of doing projects for them. Everyone knows that IPS is a government statutory board.'

Mr Arun Mahizhnan Deputy Director at the Institute of Policy Studies (IPS) in speaking to TOC said that there is a misperception that IPS is part of the Government. "We are part of the University (National University of Singapore)", he explained.

Mr Mahizhnan further clarified that Mr Loh has been engaged as a consultant by IPS to redesign their website.

Seriusly

Alfrescian
Loyal
Anything that praises the PAP, is considered a good article by the PAP sycophants. Similarly, any articles which bashes the PAP are considered good articles by the morbid anti-PAP mob.

The good old radio Gold 95 FM advert put it aptly - hear only the good things

Well said, bro.

blueyepea

Alfrescian
Loyal
It is quite common to appoint someone as a "consultant" if you want to buy him over, and thats what IPS has done. So it is not a coincidence that you see his article swinging to the MIW side. Money is a great motivator. This Andrew Loh chap doesn't have any web designing skill, the design of his publichouse website is taken from some template from the internet with some tweaks done on the widget. So his work at IPS should be giving general input to a dormant site.

Last edited:

HorGauGan

Alfrescian
Loyal
money talks!!!! PAP bought over Andrew Loh!

It is quite common to appoint someone as a "consultant" if you want to buy him over, and thats what IPS has done. So it is not a coincidence that you see his article swinging to the MIW side. Money is a great motivator. This Andrew Loh chap doesn't have any web designing skill, the design of his publichouse website is taken from some template from the internet with some tweaks done on the widget. So his work at IPS should be giving general input to a dormant site.

Kinana

Alfrescian
Loyal
A friend asked me why don’t these two founding fathers of modern Singapore live more ostentatiously or lavishly. Well, I don’t know. But I can surmise that perhaps it is because of the times they were brought up in – an era where simplicity was lauded, where virtues such as humility and charity were appreciated more. But I don’t really know.

What perhaps we can deduce is this: one doesn’t have to live in big houses with luxurious furnishings to have a lasting impact on the lives of your fellow men and women.

I went home from the wake pondering on what I’d seen and what it means, really, to serve your nation and your people.

Dr Toh lived humbly and passed from this earth quietly, after having served his people through some of our most tumultuous times.

His feet was firmly set on the ground, as evidenced by the ground on which his feet walked.

Lee and Toh are extraordinary men of our times.