• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

New developments to share

sgtsk

Alfrescian
Loyal
I would prefer Najib to continue to be in power. His administration has brought in RM34b worth of FDIs into Malaysia in 2011, compared to only RM5b in 2009. This is good news for Malaysia and also its people.

Let's face it, there will be corruption in every country. Sinkie Land is just Leegally corrupted, otherwise, why with the highest paid Ministerial salaries in this planet. What also about the recent discovery of the AIM case? And the mother of all is the forever delaying of the CPF withdrawal age, which you can't even see it now since you are forced to buy the CPF Life annuity.

At the end of the day, if the government of the country can and does bring in investments and progress to the country and its people, will a change in the administration worth the risk?

While I am not too politically inclined, I think many people in Malaysia feel very strongly that the BN govt could do much better and earlier, particularly when bench marked against neighbor Singapore. Malaysia is some 300 times geographically larger, five times more populaton and much endowed in natural resources, yet Malaysia and Singapore have GdP of about same size. This comparison with Singapore is with the backdrop of a Singapore govt performance which many singaporeans are not happy with. Some twenty years ago, China was considered one of the most backward third world countries. Today China is second largest world economy, make world class space craft, rockets, fighter jets, submarines, tanks, destroyers, frigates, air craft carriers and more. How far is Malaysia behind China? In lights of these comparisons, I could understand why many Malaysians are not satisfied with the govt performance.

Last edited:

Jetstream

Alfrescian
Loyal
While I am not too politically inclined, I think many people in Malaysia feel very strongly that the BN govt could do much better and earlier, particularly when bench marked against neighbor Singapore. Malaysia is some 300 times geographically larger, five times more populaton and much endowed in natural resources, yet Malaysia and Singapore have GdP of about same size. This comparison with Singapore is with the backdrop of a Singapore govt performance which many singaporeans are not happy with. Some twenty years ago, China was considered one of the most backward third world countries. Today China is second largest world economy, make world class space craft, rockets, fighter jets, submarines, tanks, destroyers, frigates, air craft carriers and more. How far is Malaysia behind China? In lights of these comparisons, I could understand why many Malaysians are not satisfied with the govt performance.

Malaysians are dissatisfied with their government not because they are comparing their country's achievements (or lack thereof) with other countries, but simply because some basic things they expect of their govt are neglected. They are simply sick and tired of corruption, cronyism, lack of transparency, polls fraud, lack of basic security and so on.

Funniman

Alfrescian
Loyal
It is basically the "have nots" versus the "haves". They are the basic instinct of human race where greed, jealousy and comparisons takes centerstage in the rat race.
Otherwise we will still in the dark ages.
Politics is just a game, the players are the actors, unfairness are the excuses, powers are the real reasons and the people are the victims.

Malaysians are dissatisfied with their government not because they are comparing their country's achievements (or lack thereof) with other countries, but simply because some basic things they expect of their govt are neglected. They are simply sick and tired of corruption, cronyism, lack of transparency, polls fraud, lack of basic security and so on.

Mingchye

Alfrescian
Loyal
It is basically the "have nots" versus the "haves". They are the basic instinct of human race where greed, jealousy and comparisons takes centerstage in the rat race.
Otherwise we will still in the dark ages.
Politics is just a game, the players are the actors, unfairness are the excuses, powers are the real reasons and the people are the victims.

Not just "have nots" and "haves". We are talking about basic human needs here.

Why do Msians feel so insecure about the crime rate? Why GnG and condos are more popular than the traditional tamans (I grew up in one of these traditional non GnG taman where I can run around in the street and explore the longkang etc without fear of being kidnapped outside my house)? Why is the Home Minister keep telling Msians the rising crime rate is just a perception and that crime indeed have been dropping according to reported statistics? The victims are the general public.
Why is there no solid education blueprint for generations of Msians? Why always flip flop when Education Ministers change? e.g English was used to teach Maths/Sci and then scrapped when Moohiydin became Education Minister. The victims are the children and their frustrated parents.
Why does National Feedlot gets to invest the monies for raising cattle for slaughter into One Merenung luxury condominium and when this was brought to light, UMNO top guys were busy defending NFC's actions before the actual investigations even began? Its like quickly coming to a conclusion even before a court case is done.
Why does Ibrahim Ali and Utusan MAlaysia gets to sprout comments/news along racial lines and never get hauled up by my 1Malaysia government?

At the end of the day, Msians expect the govt to provide a reasonably secure environment where kids can be educated to reach their fullest potential, and where majority/minority races get along in 1Malaysia spirit (not having the politicians sprout nonsense along racial lines). Bonus would be corruption brought under control with accountability enforced.
Does all these sound like haves vs have nots? I dont think so.

tigerbear

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro and sis.... Can I suggest open another thread to discuss Msia polictics ..... let's keep this thread for " new developments to share topic" pls....

tigerbear

Alfrescian
Loyal
Most developments have a 20% / 80% split for foreigners right? Any disadvantage to buy these?

Depends on projects.. I know east ledang and puteri habour can be 100pct while horizon is not 20/80. If the development is very hot and the project is 20/80%, developer can price it with slightly premium... Or if there are many unsold Malaysian units available for sell for some time, the developer can get approval to have extra limit for foreign quota..

wolverine23

Alfrescian
Loyal
So is it unwise to buy a development with 20/80 split as price might not appreciate much?

If I buy, is there any future restrictions to sell to local or foreigner?

Depends on projects.. I know east ledang and puteri habour can be 100pct while horizon is not 20/80. If the development is very hot and the project is 20/80%, developer can price it with slightly premium... Or if there are many unsold Malaysian units available for sell for some time, the developer can get approval to have extra limit for foreign quota..

tigerbear

Alfrescian
Loyal
So is it unwise to buy a development with 20/80 split as price might not appreciate much?

Very subjective question whether any capital appreciation in future....Buying property is an art and very subjective. If everyone can forsee there will be capital appreciation, then everyone of us will be a multi millionaire. However, u can do some analysis like asking some question... location? who is the developer, what kind of pricing? What are the surrounding asking price? What are the potential development in that area? Access road?Can anyone who is already a resident in that area currently afford this development? How about supply within same area?any amenities near by Etc etc....also it's depends if u buy for own stay or for investment. If for investment, are u buying for rental or capital appreciation? There are too many things u need to consider...Recently, most of the projects launching in Johor mainly driven by foreigners demand.. Demand can push up the prices if the project is good. Perhaps other experts in this forum can help to give some view too....

I believe if you buy the international lot, u won't have any problem selling it to either Malaysian or another foreigners. International lots are free for anyone, while Malaysia lots are for Malaysian only and bumi lots are for Malaysian-BUMI only.

Mingchye

Alfrescian
Loyal

That 20/80 restriction is to ensure msians go chance to buy new property frm developers.
For resale, as long as valuation is >= 500k can see to foreigner. Tats why i think those proposals to up the foreigner limit is shortsighted considering we already got this 20/80 ruling for new sales. What they shld be doing is to have the govt build more affordable homes for the rakyat. Developers are money mAking entities, their job is to max profit.
The state govt is really cock to think of raising foreigner limit. Nincompoops.

Mingchye

Alfrescian
Loyal
I believe if you buy the international lot, u won't have any problem selling it to either Malaysian or another foreigners. International lots are free for anyone, while Malaysia lots are for Malaysian only and bumi lots are for Malaysian-BUMI only.

There is no such thing as international lot. There is only bumi and non bumi lots.
I notice this term being used errorneously and frequently in Johor. I guess this came about probably becos developers find it hard to explain to foreigners why they cannot sell anymore non-bumi lots to foreigners cos they reached the 20% quota. To make things easy for foreigners to understand...oh all the international lots finished already.

I want to emphasise again....there are only Bumi and non-Bumi lots.

For new developments and buying direct from developers, the Johor state govt has imposed the 20% quota ruling for non-bumi lots to ensure that msians got chance to buy into the development. Special projects like HH and EL are exempted from this ruling (I dont know why)...thats why you see alot of foreigners buy into these projects' non-bumi lots. Compare this to other developments like Nusa Sentral, Nusa Idaman, they will tell you oh sorry foreigner quota reached already. Did they say international lots? No such thing lah. Its an agent marketing term. Try using this term in KL and other states, the ppl will be scratching their heads.

For resale, as long as your lot is a NON-bumi lot, and valuation is >= 500k, can sell to ANY foreigner or Msian(bumi or non-bumi). Again no such thing international lot.

Mingchye

Alfrescian
Loyal
Great clarification. How does developer convert bumi to non bumi?

After a certain time, the developer can apply to the local authority to sell any unsold bumi lots as "bumi release lots" as they have had trouble selling these. Developers show evidence such as placing advertisements for a period of time and yet these lots remain unsold.
From what I understand from these forums and Wuqi, bumi release lots can be sold to anyone and will be treated like a non-bumi lot during resale. The only diff is that one it is reselled to a bumi, it revert back into a bumi lot. Not a problem to most of us anyway since even if we sell to bumi, if it becomes a bumi lot, its the buyer's problem.

Jetstream

Alfrescian
Loyal
I also understand that if the developer applies to the authority to sell any unsold bumi lots as "bumi
release lots" before the project's completion, the approval may still be provisional in that if a bumi subsequently approaches the developer to buy a unit, the developer is obliged to sell that unit to the bumi. This means that bumi released lots sold by developer to non-bumis before project's completion may be on a conditional basis.

jasonjst

Alfrescian
Loyal
After a certain time, the developer can apply to the local authority to sell any unsold bumi lots as "bumi release lots" as they have had trouble selling these. Developers show evidence such as placing advertisements for a period of time and yet these lots remain unsold.
From what I understand from these forums and Wuqi, bumi release lots can be sold to anyone and will be treated like a non-bumi lot during resale. The only diff is that one it is reselled to a bumi, it revert back into a bumi lot. Not a problem to most of us anyway since even if we sell to bumi, if it becomes a bumi lot, its the buyer's problem.

Alamak , resale price so super high , where got bumi want to buy ? Developer give 15% less , also not one take up .

Oh yes , HH and EL got no 20/80 quota because these are classified as " Resort Land " . Most others are classified as Residential Land .

Last edited:

wolverine23

Alfrescian
Loyal
Do you think "resort land" is better than "residential land"?

Alamak , resale price so super high , where got bumi want to buy ? Developer give 15% less , also not one take up .

Oh yes , HH and EL got no 20/80 quota because these are classified as " Resort Land " . Most others are classified as Residential Land .

sgtsk

Alfrescian
Loyal
There is no such thing as international lot. There is only bumi and non bumi lots.
I notice this term being used errorneously and frequently in Johor. I guess this came about probably becos developers find it hard to explain to foreigners why they cannot sell anymore non-bumi lots to foreigners cos they reached the 20% quota. To make things easy for foreigners to understand...oh all the international lots finished already.

I want to emphasise again....there are only Bumi and non-Bumi lots.

For new developments and buying direct from developers, the Johor state govt has imposed the 20% quota ruling for non-bumi lots to ensure that msians got chance to buy into the development. Special projects like HH and EL are exempted from this ruling (I dont know why)...thats why you see alot of foreigners buy into these projects' non-bumi lots. Compare this to other developments like Nusa Sentral, Nusa Idaman, they will tell you oh sorry foreigner quota reached already. Did they say international lots? No such thing lah. Its an agent marketing term. Try using this term in KL and other states, the ppl will be scratching their heads.

For resale, as long as your lot is a NON-bumi lot, and valuation is >= 500k, can sell to ANY foreigner or Msian(bumi or non-bumi). Again no such thing international lot.

Thank you for explaining. It occurs to me that when a developer announces a launch is all sold out, does the developer mean all foreign quota or all non bumi units or all Bumi and non Bumi units are sold?

Mingchye

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thank you for explaining. It occurs to me that when a developer announces a launch is all sold out, does the developer mean all foreign quota or all non bumi units or all Bumi and non Bumi units are sold?

Hard to say. Best to call and ask. If I am to guess, i think fully sold in adverts means all units (bumi, non bumi lots all sold out). I have seen adverts saying only limited bumi units left. I think its safe to assume fully sold means all non bumi lots sold, which also means no more foreigner quota since these are 20% of non bumi lots.

nicked

Walked past the CIQ yesterday's morning. There 's a new launch by mahabuilder - the pines residences, just located beside the second link. Any thoughts about this project ? It's just opposite the leisure farm and in the future will have auto city and china mall nearby. The A units seems to be all snatched up, left the B units.

Valdez

Alfrescian
Loyal
More and more MNCs relocating to iskandar.

Several foreign firms prepare to leave S'pore

[SINGAPORE] Some foreign companies in Singapore have started to pull out of the country as the government tightens the inflow of foreign workers here. More could follow suit.

According to the latest manpower survey by the American Chamber of Commerce (AmCham) in Singapore, 5 per cent of respondent companies, made up of AmCham members, have already moved operations out of Singapore as a result of the labour tightening measures introduced last year. The survey, conducted in the third quarter of last year, showed that a further 15 per cent of respondents are looking at relocating their operations overseas.

"While we understand the pressures that Singapore's limited area and resources place on crafting long-term policy, we worry that the trajectory announced could significantly cut workforce growth and have drastic consequences for businesses and the economy of Singapore," said AmCham chairman Simon Kahn.

"As the percentage of Singaporeans qualifying for PMET (professional, manager, executive and technician) jobs continues to increase, the supply of workers to fill these non-PMET roles will continue to shrink. Without access to foreign workers here in Singapore, companies that cannot adapt will be forced to leave the country."

The Australian Chamber of Commerce (AustCham) Singapore as well as the British Chamber of Commerce said that some of their member companies have also been hit by the manpower crunch and are looking at moving out. AustCham Singapore president Graham Lee said that one of his chamber's members, involved in the food distribution business, was considering relocating to Iskandar Malaysia and others could follow suit.

"A lot of our members find it (labour tightening) critical and the issue then is if this (Singapore) is the right place to be and also consequently if high costs or declining service standards become issues," Mr Lee explained.

Yesterday, nine national chambers of commerce here wrote to Singapore's Acting Minister for Manpower Tan Chuan-Jin to voice their concerns about the new plans to calibrate the entry of foreign employees into Singapore as detailed in the White Paper released last week. The letter was issued by the AustCham on behalf of the rest.

"Our members are concerned with the revision of government policies pertaining to the employment of foreign workers in Singapore and the resultant impact on the operations of foreign and local companies and the overall economy," the letter, signed-off by AustCham president Mr Lee, stated.

It added that the change in the labour policy here could adversely impact Singapore's fortunes.

"Singapore's openness to foreign labour has enabled it to attract, retain and absorb the best of foreign talent, providing it with a clear competitive advantage over its neighbours," said the letter, which also spoke on behalf of the British Chamber of Commerce, Canadian Chamber of Commerce, EuroCham, French Chamber of Commerce, Japanese Chamber of Commerce & Industry, New Zealand Chamber of Commerce and the Singapore-German Chamber of Industry & Commerce, in addition to AmCham.

The nine chambers and their members wanted some certainty about being able to hire candidates with the necessary skills, knowledge and experience and to be able to tap into a larger labour workforce than is available in Singapore.

The document also makes two other broad points. Firstly, younger foreign workers need to be brought in to drive productivity and innovation here so that restrictive labour policies don't lead to inflationary wages and raise business costs.

Also, with fewer Singaporeans looking for non-PMET positions, there was a need to have more foreign workers in sectors such as service, construction and manufacturing - otherwise standards could slip.

German multinational firm Bosch Group said it had become hard to find talent. "Competition for talent is stiff and as a high-technology company, we have a requirement for many niche and highly skilled roles. For these specific roles, we endeavour to examine Singapore's talent pool before looking outward," said Martin Hayes, president of Bosch Southeast Asia.

Belinda Braggs, managing director of pharma consulting firm SeerPharma here in Singapore, said that she had not been able to renew the employment pass of a staffer who was managing a project. Local talent was hard to come by and now it was becoming difficult to bring in foreign talent. Nine years after setting up office here, she said that the situation could force her to leave.